RS PVC Kit / ANH TK Stunt Build / Bulldog44

My PVC Kit has arrived thanks to the guys at RS Prop Masters :) . Purchased the helmet already assembled and painted but I will attempt to put the armor together. Thank you to everyone who has already documented their builds for their RS kits as I will be glued to every picture you posted to guide me through. Build to start sometime soon but still need to round up some tools and confidence to get started with the trimming. Located in Japan so not sure where to buy proper cutting tools for PVC yet. Exacto knife or cutter knife better to start off with? Are rare earth magnets a must for the assembly or are there other ways just as good? Please feel free to point me in the right direction during the build if I get stuck or something looks amiss.

My dog Luke inspecting the cargo. Way too short to be a stormtrooper!
Luke%20Inspection_zpsm6add4bm.jpg

Unpacking...
Kit%20Unpack_zpsnfnkfgm5.jpg
My new bucket!
Helmet_zps2nkgafif.jpg

TK Armor
armor_zpsahwzdmny.jpgarmor%20back_zpsjqtak5az.jpg

Hope to update soon! :smiley-sw013:

Edited by Bulldog44

I loved my rare earth magnets during my build. I used clamps as well but the magnets were easier use. Plus there are some places the clamps I had wouldn't reach, like the middle of the thighs, for example.

Hi Brian, congratulation on your armor....

Wes is right, its always good to have a lot of different tools. clamps and rare earth magnets will always help make the job easier. I like using both the exacto and the cutter, as the cutter will have more firm grip to it. At times i also like to use heavy duty scissors also. Another tool that good to have is a rotary tool, but you must be really be very careful with this tool, its not as forgiving as any other cutting tool.

Good luck on the build mate, you're gonna have tons of fun building it.. post pictures and ask questions when in doubt, the people here at FISD have helped me so much, and will be more than happy to help you. ill be looking forward to your build

Just need a second opinion about the side cheek stripes on my helmet. I know these get hand painted and not meant to be 100% symmetrical but the difference on the right & left cheek areas look somewhat off. Compare the right cheek stripes and the left. The right side cheek stripes are bunched together/ on the thin side, leaving a noticeable gray area to be seen. Should I attempt to re-paint the stripes or leave them as is?

The left side:[

cheek%201_zpszifys9jz.jpg

The right side:

cheek%202_zpsozum5xjp.jpg

Thanks Rezablad3 & Pfneisl for the magnet and trimming advice. Ordering some magnets this weekend.

Edited by Bulldog44

Your bucket was assembled by Rob&Si right? if so, i would leave them be... i used stencils on mine, and I wasn't really really happy with how it turned out and thinking of changing it.

7A91642B-78E6-4739-AAE7-F3980BA03E0F-837-00000269C77119B7.jpg

in my opinion, i think the strips in your tear looks a lot better thank mine.

I guess it depends if you have a firm hands and you feel confidence to redo it all over again. In my case I never use stencils for my helmets, I really like the natural asymmetry I get on my helmets without stencils, but that's me. Also keep in mind that even the original helmets were very off.

Cheers

A

I guess it depends if you have a firm hands and you feel confidence to redo it all over again. In my case I never use stencils for my helmets, I really like the natural asymmetry I get on my helmets without stencils, but that's me. Also keep in mind that even the original helmets were very off.

Cheers

A

agreed... that's why i wanted to redo them... the more wobbly the lines are, i think i looks more accurate..

Edited by Rezablad3

Your bucket was assembled by Rob&Si right? if so, i would leave them be... i used stencils on mine, and I wasn't really really happy with how it turned out and thinking of changing it.

in my opinion, i think the strips in your tear looks a lot better thank mine.

Yes, Rob & Si did the paint work for this helmet. I think I will just leave it as is then. I looked at so many variations of hand painted stripes on these helmets that my mind is boggled. Better to keep it RS original then as I am sure I will probably do more harm than good.

Thanks for all your feedback. On with initial armor trimming this weekend!

• 1 month later...

Bulldog, I think you have made a way better decision than i did for my armor supplier. This stuff looks great. I will be watching this build closely, as I would love to get the PVC armor as well. Please keep a list of any new items that you find that you will need for the PVC. It looks like you are off to a great start, best of luck to you in this.

Dan

Thanks Dan. The RS PVC kit is impressive just as it is. I am sorry I have not had any real progress. Things came to a halt after receiving it. I have started some light trimming but need to check some reference pics before I go any further. Post some initial photos later today. Very nervous to trim too much so this build might take forever! Just got my e6000 glue from the US but not sure how that holds up on the PVC yet. Needs some testing. Hope not to disappoint, try my best on this build!

Recent Photos:

Some supplies to get started. These Tamiya curved scissors cut well. Thanks to someone who posted these on their build. Sorry have to check for your name. Ordered 2 tubes of E6000 Medium viscosity and 1 high but they sent me all three medium. 100 grit sandpaper & some masking tape.

http://i1281.photobu...zps3b12ce05.jpg

Thermal detonator. I threw on the masking tape to prevent any unwanted scratches while cutting. I'll pencil in the trimming lines after I get more comfortable with this.

http://i1281.photobu...zps0f4a8006.jpg

http://i1281.photobu...zps1b9d3ca2.jpg

TD trimmed end. Practicing my cuts on these parts so not much final work going on. Still need to confirm measurements for these parts to cut to size. Any advice?

http://i1281.photobu...zpsf8bdc340.jpg

Chest plate, left side trim. Being very conservative. Not sure how much of return edge yet to leave.

http://i1281.photobu...zpsc6d40b56.jpg

Chest plate neck trim. Actually cut some pvc off but the pictures reveal how timid I am at this.

http://i1281.photobu...zpsc2f89ccc.jpg

Slow and steady is how I want to proceed but hope to speed some things up at times. I would like to start making a rough assembly/ instructional sheet with cuts & measurements,etc. listed to document the build and perhaps make it useful for other people to use with theirs. Your input will be instrumental so please contribute any info or tips along the way! :smiley-sw013:

Edited by Bulldog44

Wow Brian, I am really excited for you! Not to sound like a school girl.... Anyway, everything is looking good. Have you worked with any other armor type before, how is the PVC thickness and handling compared to other types? Is the helmet and armor that shiny in person!? If so, I think that is awesome. Are you going for a EIB or centurion build? Ok enough questions from me. It looks like I will be able to get my Movie FX up to a good standard, the company does have good customer relations and support so that is awesome. I would really like to have it look top notch to show off at Celebration Europe II this summer. Well, good luck with everything, and see you around the forum.

Dan

Wow Brian, I am really excited for you! Not to sound like a school girl.... Anyway, everything is looking good. Have you worked with any other armor type before, how is the PVC thickness and handling compared to other types? Is the helmet and armor that shiny in person!? If so, I think that is awesome. Are you going for a EIB or centurion build? Ok enough questions from me. It looks like I will be able to get my Movie FX up to a good standard, the company does have good customer relations and support so that is awesome. I would really like to have it look top notch to show off at Celebration Europe II this summer. Well, good luck with everything, and see you around the forum.

Dan

Thanks again Dan. No I have not built any other armor before and I went with the PVC because I heard of the durability. It does seem fairly flexible but I have never actually been around other armor types yet to make comparisons. I think RS uses 1.5 for the PVC so it seems thick enough but allows for flexibility. Some areas of the armor though run a little thin, maybe caused by over stretching in the vacuum molding process. My original goal was just get into the basic 501st clearance but the more I get involved in this the more I want to shoot for centurion if possible. Best of luck with your armor too. customers relations & support makes a big difference for this hobby for sure. Having the celebration Europe II as an event to look forward to makes me envious!

Thanks for the interest in my build and hope not to disappoint! See you around!

Brian, I have had a lot of luck with my TK, but still envious of what you have! I am still really debating hard on picking one of these up. My wife has given me the OK, but $1400+\- is still hard to let go, especially since I still don't have one complete TK yet. :( but man...

I take it your armor didn't come with a cloth/canvas belt or holster? Also would it be possible to some pics of the inside of your bucket?

I can only equate this to having a red Lamborghini, and now wanting a black one...you get the idea. Stoopid hobby!

You need to get Luke a little shirt with a stormtrooper helmet on it!!!! Have you seen the helmet with crossbones design? That would rock for him.

Edited by R2trooper

Brian, I have had a lot of luck with my TK, but still envious of what you have! I am still really debating hard on picking one of these up. My wife has given me the OK, but $1400+\- is still hard to let go, especially since I still don't have one complete TK yet. :( but man...

I take it your armor didn't come with a cloth/canvas belt or holster? Also would it be possible to some pics of the inside of your bucket?

I can only equate this to having a red Lamborghini, and now wanting a black one...you get the idea. Stoopid hobby!

You need to get Luke a little shirt with a stormtrooper helmet on it!!!! Have you seen the helmet with crossbones design? That would rock for him.

Dan, even though I have this kit I am still interested to get some of the other kits like ATA & TM. I went for the RS knowing what it was and also with the thought that I was not able to buy another suit for a long time. Hopefully it will hold up if I ever get around to finishing it. Know how you fel about the price, still paying the credit card off. With all these kits, the grass is always going to be greener on the other side, Stormtrooper virus!

I did get a cloth belt and ordered a holster too but that is being sent separate and should arrive soon. The belt comes with their full accurate strapping pack. Post pictures when they arrive.

Uploaded some shots of my bucket for you but need to learn how to post linked images. For now see if this link works:

http://s1281.beta.photobucket.com/user/Bulldog44Japan/library/RS%20TK%20Build%202013/RS%20Helmet%20Inside

Haven't seen the crossbones design. send me a link! My Luke needs to get into this TK business.

Edited by Bulldog44

Uploaded some shots of my bucket for you but need to learn how to post linked images. For now see if this link works:http://s1281.beta.ph...S Helmet Inside

Looking good there

To post your picture click on the image square on the toolbar above, then enter the web address where you picture are hosted online then click ok. Note if using photobucket you need to copy the direct link of you picture, hope that helps :duim:

Thank you Glen for the image posting help. Life saver!

Thought about starting on smaller pieces for trimming so I tried looking into the shoulder bells. Not sure which is the left shoulder or right but I have seen & heard that either way is fine. The taped shoulder bell is what I started with. I taped it up because I started on get scratches on the exterior along the edges and where I was holding the parts as a result of sanding with sandpaper. Probably better to use metal files because all the abrasive dust just sits on the piece. Live and learn. I would like to know how much to trim off these parts because there is no clear line to follow. Sometimes I noticed these parts looked more curved from the top of the shoulder to the bottom of the bell when trimmed. Another concern I have is that these parts seemed a lot thinner than the rest of the armor. Is that on purpose or a flaw in the vacuum forming process.

Do the return edges on the shoulder bells follow the actual shape of the piece or generally rounded in form? Tricky area since there is not much of a return edge in some areas.
IMG_3979_zps7ff6871d.jpg
Please give me some advice about how to move forward on these parts. Measurements or roughly drawn trim lines are appreciated!

Next, I looked at the drop boxes and noticed they are not as straight forward to trim as I had hoped.
Here are the outer parts. Hard to tell from the photo but one corner curves out on the edge a bit, making it hard to trim both boxes equally to size. (left side)
IMG_3986_zpsaa44a0fe.jpg

The same can be seen on the inner parts as well. the right side part almost has no edge. These arrived like this. Normal with the RS kit? Or a bad batch?
IMG_3984_zps5c2bb5f1.jpg

There are a few more photos of these parts at the link below.

http://s1281.beta.ph...S TK Build 2013

Sorry for posting too many photos.

Edited by Bulldog44

The same can be seen on the inner parts as well. the right side part almost has no edge. These arrived like this. Normal with the RS kit? Or a bad batch

Perfectly normal mate :duim:

I've just about finished the same build with the same kit but I'm lucky enough to be 30 mins away from the RS Studio so I've been down there a few times with queries.......this kit is very quirky & makes a TM assembly seem like paint by numbers lol!! The most enjoyable TK build I've done yet though.

Anyway, this PVC stuff will attract powder like a strip bar attracts stag dos - something to do with its charge :mellow: so don't bother cleaning until you've finished.....oh & it's a bit wierd to sand as well....almost cloggy & heats up quick. On the chest/back edges of the bells better to leave em long until you have the chest & back assembled & can fit them properly. With the Bell return edges they can be minimal - I dremmeled them down to no more than 5mm following the line of the bell.

As for the drop boxes - yep one or two are like that. I think again trim them off to 5mm from the top - trust me it works!!! Although drop Rob & Si an email to confirm it.

Just wait until you get to the arms!!!! Not to mention the craxy left thigh!!!! :icon_eek:

Edited by TK9477

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Brian,

Congrats on your RS kit. I'll get mine in March, then the trembling starts for me, too :) Good luck with your build! Can't wait to see your progress.

• 2 weeks later...

So how has the progress been going? Have you met anyone there yet to help you out? I have met a fellow TK here in Germany, and is a great guy. Full of insight and tips. Hope everything is going good with your build, I am so jealous!! Well here is the lid and crossbones design for a little shirt you should have made for Luke. See ya 'round.

Dan

crossbones_zps8f6d577a.jpg