BID's ANH Hero Build Thread - RT-Mod

Geez. Tony... I'm starting to get impatient for you ;D

-Eric

*sigh* Indianapolis this week, Atlanta the next two weeks then Natick for three weeks. THEN I move to Cincinnati that weekend and start at my new location THEN work begins on the kit. Lol

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*sigh* Indianapolis this week, Atlanta the next two weeks then Natick for three weeks. THEN I move to Cincinnati that weekend and start at my new location THEN work begins on the kit. Lol

Dude I can't even count how many weeks that is :blink: I'll have worn mine out by then. Sucks you've got to wait so long but it will be worth it in the long run. Good luck with the move and the new job.

You *may* want to experiment with facing the amp speaker facing out towards the armor instead of in facing your chest. If its working perfectly then awesome. I noticed on mine I would get random feedback because I had to turn up the volume so loud when I had the speaker facing my body. Someone suggested I face it outward and it was a HUGE improvement. Just something to play with a little if you get bored brother.

Thanks Issac, I might try this as I did get some feedback last week when I put it on for my approval photo's. I wasn't sure if it was from my fans or something else.

Congrats on approval Craig, now isn't there some other application you need to submit LOL EIB here you come

Give it a go and see what you think. I know mine sounded better when I turned it around. Let me know if it helps bro.

Isaac

Thanks again mate, I'll let you know if it makes a difference.

Congrats on approval Craig, now isn't there some other application you need to submit LOL EIB here you come

Thanks Glen, so excited when I got word. Yeah really want the next application, but I think it may be awhile. I've got to sort the Ab/Kidney Shims and as I want to go for Centurion I may as well close them completely straight away. Then it's those pesky 4th tooth indents to fill. Pretty nervous about getting the colour match perfect, I'm so close now I don't want to stuff it up.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey Jeremy,

Sorry for the late reply mate, I haven't looked at my build thread for awhile. 

I've still got to finish the Ab/Kidney Shims and fill the 4th Teeth holes in the bucket.  I've got the Ab Shims in place and I'm just working on getting the join as seamless as possible.  Once I'm happy with that I'll go on with the teeth.

I certainly haven't given up on it, have just been enjoying trooping the heck out of it.  We had one of our 4 biggest troops of the year 4 weeks ago, a 2 day event and had a ball.  This weekend just gone was our biggest event of the year (the biggest in the Southern Hemisphere) with over 120 characters invading Dreamworld on the Gold Coast (a theme park) for 2 days.  We had all 3 of our prop/back drops setup (including our new Trash Compactor) and had an absolute ball.

Thanks for the kind words regarding my build.  I'll update the thread as soon as I've got the Ab/Kidney shims completed.

Cheers

Craig

• 1 month later...

TORSO UPDATE

After I caught wind of the pending changes to Centurion Assembly requirements and with my AP on Saturday 27/10 I basically put the arm/leg assembly on hold until the vote on FISD closed, and I had more information on the changes.

With help from those who came (thanks again guy's) I got the torso fully assembled, including the shoulder bridges & covers.

With my decision to double up on snaps I chose to make the shoulder bridge snap plates using 4 snaps. This meant that each snap plate was 80mm long and glued into the chest/back using the same method as the others (loop velcro on snap plates).

I made the shoulder bridges using 50mm white elastic and attached hook velcro to match the snap plates.

IMG_0668.jpg

IMG_0669.jpg

I had taped the arms and legs together to get an idea on fitment and while i realized that my right forearm & bicep are bigger than my left, I didn't take into account that my right pec & trap are also bigger.

This combined with the chest plate shoulder mounts being slightly offset meant that when we copied the left shoulder cover position to the right the chest/back sat crooked.

I'm amazed at how strong a bond the Zap-a-Gap provides, Scope & I took 35-40mins to get the right cover off in one piece to be able to reposition it.

While measuring the shoulder covers we also measured the elastic for the shoulder bridges.

The following pictures show the torso progress after the AP (I'm holding the chest down in the 1st picture as I still haven't fitted Chest/Ab Straps to pull the chest down and keep an overlap).

IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg

After everyone left I worked on the chest/ab straps and got them installed so that the torso was complete and would sit by itself.

IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

The blue tape here shows where I wanted the overlap to sit (center of this tape).

IMG_0657.jpg

This shows the elastic chest/ab straps installed. I've cut them a little long so that I can fine tune them during fitting. I've also included a tri-glide buckle in the strap so that these can also be adjusted on a troop if necessary.

IMG_0667.jpg

These next pictures show the torso fitted over the undersuit. As you can see it now sits without having to hold the chest down.

I've got some temporary Ab/Kidney shims installed that are made from thick craft cardboard and attach using the snap plates which will be used when I've made the final shims.

This has also been an ongoing hot topic here in regards to Centurion accurate shims so I'll work on this later.

IMG_0664.jpg

The suit looks very deep front to back as the crotch strap is not yet installed. Once on this will pull everything together nicely (I hope).

IMG_0662.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg

I put the bucket on to get an idea of the feel of assembled armor. I can now understand the limited mobility/vision that everyone talks about.

IMG_0665.jpg

Can you show the final work on the ab/ kidney shims under the arms you used too complete the area... two photos would be good one on the inside for sure... Thanks james

I'm building an Authentic Props TK from Montreal, and I'm 235 pounds. Its working out well, I am building too the max measurements of the costume so I'm looking to lose weight long term "have to hit the gym over the winter" and stick too a program to stay in  the suit. I am vary happy with AP. It's a good build... I jest need to get some final touches done to get my qualifications for 501st...

All I need is a couple photos of the space, Ab and Kidney plate under the arms. There is a gap their that I can't figure out what too fill it with "Black strapping or white abs"???

Edited by Linkboy Cadet69

I'm building an Authentic Props TK from Montreal, and I'm 235 pounds. Its working out well, I am building too the max measurements of the costume so I'm looking to lose weight long term "have to hit the gym over the winter" and stick too a program to stay in the suit. I am vary happy with AP. It's a good build... I jest need to get some final touches done to get my qualifications for 501st...

All I need is a couple photos of the space, Ab and Kidney plate under the arms. There is a gap their that I can't figure out what too fill it with "Black strapping or white abs"???

Did Mark gave you some wider stips of ABS in your kit? You can use these. How much gap do you have?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

I'm doing the trimming myself so I have some cut off abs from the costume. I was going too use white Cordova "a thin Canvice†& white strapping for strength" too fill the space. with snaps to connect the ab too the kidney plate on the side...  

• 1 month later...

Great build.  Lots of attention to detail on it.  I'm doing an Iron Man suit and when I googled on snaps to use for connecting my armor pieces, your thread came up, so I checked it out and was impressed by all the work you put into your storm trooper suit.  I want to do something similar on my Iron Man build with the snaps.  Could you tell me where you got them or exactly what kind of snaps they are?  How have they worked out?  And how did you attach the male portion to your suit?  Does the male part have a screw?  I have tried velcro, but found it unsat...

Hi Laura,

Thanks for the kinds words regarding my build thread, I hope it is of some use to others.  I'm in Australia & sourced my Snaps from Mac-Lace Leather in Brisbane (www.maclace.com.au), although I'm sure you'd be able to source them locally these guys offer great service and an online ordering system if you wish to use them.  These are the exact ones I used

If you scroll about 1/2 way down the first page of my build thread you'll see how I made the snap plates.  I sewed a 40mm long piece of 50mm wide loop velcro to the same size piece of nylon webbing (same material as used in backpack straps), sewed around the border & then diagonally both ways.  I then punched the holed in the snap plate and attached the snaps using the punch also available from Mac-Lace.  I made them this way so that they were flexible for any curved areas of the armor so that they would form the largest possible surface area for the CA glue to adhear to.  I've yet to have a failure.  I doubled up & used 2 snaps in each so that if one ever fails I can continue trooping and replace it when I get home.

I used elastic for the straps to attach to these to offer some flexibility, and used the hook side of the velcro, again sewed on.  I found it easiest to glue the velcro to the nylon/elastic with the CA glue before sewing.

I hope that's of some help to you.  Feel free to pm me if you have any further questions.  I'd love to see some pictures of you Iron Man suit when your done.

Cheers

Craig

Great build.  Lots of attention to detail on it.  I'm doing an Iron Man suit and when I googled on snaps to use for connecting my armor pieces, your thread came up, so I checked it out and was impressed by all the work you put into your storm trooper suit.  I want to do something similar on my Iron Man build with the snaps.  Could you tell me where you got them or exactly what kind of snaps they are?  How have they worked out?  And how did you attach the male portion to your suit?  Does the male part have a screw?  I have tried velcro, but found it unsat...

I don't know where you are located, but here in the states the most popular snaps seem to be either Tandy Line 24 or Dritz Heavy Duty size 24 snaps.

• 6 months later...

I've got my box, but am very early on my research (I know, backwards). I want to follow your multiple redundant straping system. I'm stumped as to why you have 2 sets of side snaps on the inside left and right of the ab plate. I don't see any corresponding snaps on the kidney plate (to strap them together side to side w/ a black strap. And in most side pictures where your arms are up I don't any strap connecting them.

So, can you help? what are they for?

John