BID's ANH Hero Build Thread - RT-Mod

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May I just say that your work to convert overlap RT into something with cover strips and butt joins is quite impressive. :)

Ā 

Thanks very much, that's high praise indeed coming from you, and I really appreciate you keeping an eye on my build as I want to avoid any costly mistakes if possible.

Ā 

As you know I plan to apply for EIB/Centurion so please keep that in mind when you see my application :P

All jokes aside I'm enjoying the build & hope in continues to go well. Please sing out if you see anything I need to address.

Edited by BIDS

May I just say that your work to convert overlap RT into something with cover strips and butt joins is quite impressive. :)

Ā 

+1 And... maybe the first I've seen... is that true? I think so.

Ā 

-Eric

Damn man doing really great! :)

Ā 

Thanks Jesse, how's yours going after our conversation on the weekend?

Ā 

+1 And... maybe the first I've seen... is that true? I think so.

Ā 

-Eric

Ā 

Thanks Eric, I hope my build ends up being as helpful to someone as yours has been to me. I've printed off a hard copy of yours and it lives in my armor box with various folders of reference material. Have you decided yet if your going to use RT-Mod again for your Centurion build?

Ā 

I think so too!

Ā 

Yeah I guess I started this build at the worst/best possible time. Worst in that the cover strip method (Centurion required) has taken a bit to get my head around, Best in that it means I end up with a more accurate suit in the long run. With RT-Mod's popularity growing we can begin our takeover, 1 giant sized trooper at a time :smiley-sw013: (to borrow a saying from Eric).

I just hope I can do Rob's work justice with this build as his armor is beautiful.

Edited by BIDS

I must admit that when I saw the proposed changes to the Centurion requirements I was a bit disappointed as I was just about to start the build and as I'd only researched overlap I didn't really know what to do. I had an AP organized as I was hoping to have it built for a troop (one of our 3 biggest of the year) and with the vote still pending we couldn't touch the arms or legs. Luckily we could go on with the torso until I found out what happened and got advice on how to proceed.

Ā 

Rob's armor is beautiful and originally I thought it was a bit of a crime to cut off the overlap for the sake of cover stripping, especially as initially I thought that overlap was stronger due to the surface area. Now that I've both researched it and built it I realize that the inner strips allow just as strong a bond, and in my opinion the extra material actually makes it feel more solid (more like what I think actual armor would feel like). I also liked using the CA glue on the outer strips as it's easy to use, especially when working yourself without an extra set of hands as it tacks of quick enough while still allowing for a little wiggle time, and using the clear plumbers mate on the inner strips. I feel the plumbers mate allows any gap in the butt join to be filled and the inner strip to be perfectly welded in place.

Ā 

I guess most of my trepidation came from not understanding the different methods, and now that I've got my head around it I'm happy I've gone that way.

Update - Bicep to Forearm Strapping

Ā 

After reading through FISD I decided that I wanted to join the Forearms to the Biceps to avoid the large elbow gap seen on some builds when the arms are down at the sides.

As with the rest of the strapping I've probably gone way to Heavy Duty, but I hope it pays off in the long run with reliability.

From what I read it's recommended to have 50mm of elastic glued into both the forearm & bicep, but instead of gluing the elastic straight onto the forearm I wanted to have the strap replaceable for when the elastic stretches.

As with my torso straping I used nylon snap plates, again with velcro, and this time with 4 snaps per end.

Also this way I can break the armor down for packing into the smallest possible storage.

Ā 

Snap plates glued in

IMG_0794_zps7e18ca46.jpg

Ā 

Elastic strap made

IMG_0795_zps32928c27.jpg

Ā 

Forearm & Bicep ready to join

IMG_0800_zps12209c62.jpg

Ā 

Forearm & Bicep Joined

IMG_0796_zpsbbf72a97.jpg

Ā 

Forearm & Bicep folded back

IMG_0797_zps16007069.jpg

Ā 

Fitted, straight arm

IMG_0798_zpsf7f763be.jpg

Ā 

Fitted, bent arm

IMG_0799_zpsb6ee562a.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Update - Shoulder Bell Strapping

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

For the shoulder bells I again used nylon snap plates, with velcro & double snaps.

IMG_0802_zpse29d4ce1.jpg

Ā 

I made another paddle pop stick spacer so that the clamp would apply even pressure to the snap plates.

IMG_0805_zps29a097b4.jpg

IMG_0801_zps2df93770.jpg

IMG_0806_zps456b4be9.jpg

Ā 

I didn't want to glue the shoulder bell bottom elastic directly to the plastic, once again so that the strap could be replaced when it stretches. So that the strap pulled directly to the edge of the bell I made up some retainers out of scrap ABS.

IMG_0810_zps785124da.jpg

IMG_0807_zps815165cc.jpg

IMG_0808_zps7daf47fa.jpg

Ā 

I made these with a split so that the elastic strap could be removed & refitted even with snaps fitted.

IMG_0809_zps067379ae.jpg

IMG_0811_zpscade0991.jpg

Ā 

I then glued the retainers into the bells followed by the snap plates.

IMG_0812_zpsf58bf0e9.jpg

IMG_0813_zpsb7ab0df9.jpg

IMG_0816_zps7d6fd95d.jpg

Ā 

Trial fit with elastic.

IMG_0818_zps049e298b.jpg

Ā 

Back to the anvil & punch again for the straps.

IMG_0820_zps556eb838.jpg

Ā 

1 side strap in place.

IMG_0821_zpsc47f20cb.jpg

Ā 

Showing the strap being fed into the slot in the retainer.

IMG_0822_zpsfdf97279.jpg

Ā 

Strap snapped in place.

IMG_0823_zps4e5238db.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Update - Bicep Hooks

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

To stop the shoulder bell straps from sliding up off the bicep & allowing it to slide down too low I made up some retaining hooks and glued them onto the biceps.

IMG_0824_zps60e1c07c.jpg

IMG_0825_zps9d161c8a.jpg

IMG_0826_zps493af6c4.jpg

Ā 

This shows the shoulder Bell assembled with the Bicep.

IMG_0827_zps203d5be7.jpg

Ā 

This shows the entire arm assembly together.

IMG_0832_zps99519504.jpg

Ā 

A few fitted pictures with the arm assembled.

IMG_0828_zpsa1170792.jpg

IMG_0829_zps30a95f27.jpg

IMG_0830_zpsb14432f6.jpg

IMG_0831_zps21a6aa54.jpg

Great job, and yes, very heavy duty! Holy cow, your armor will not unsnap on accident for sure!

Ā 

One thing I noticed was that the bicep/forearm strapping is towards the top of center, I think it is supposed to be towards the bottom of center, this helps hide it from view where as when you have it on the top of becomes more noticeable. At least that is how I have interpreted it.

Ā 

GJ on the build, almost done!

Edited by Dday

Great job, and yes, very heavy duty! Holy cow, your armor will not unsnap on accident for sure!

Ā 

I know it's probably overkill, but I took advice from several people in my Garrison (e.g. Double up on Snaps so that if one ever fails during a troop you can continue and replace it when you get home, use velcro as well to spread the load and not have to rely on snaps only) as well as the ideas on here I liked.

I also really like the idea of being able to replace any elastic that has stretched without having to deal with glue.

I also hope that the elastic straps will allow everything to move without popping a snap and avoid the potential wardrobe malfunction.

Ā 

One thing I noticed was that the bicep/forearm strapping is towards the top of center, I think it is supposed to be towards the bottom of center, this helps hide it from view where as when you have it on the top of becomes more noticeable. At least that is how I have interpreted it.

Ā 

Thanks for the heads up one this, but I thought I had it correct with the strap on top. I used these 2 threads as my main info, so if I've done this incorrectly can someone please let me know so that I can try to rectify it (although I don't relish the thought of getting those snap plates out, would probably just replace them)

Ā 

http://www.whitearmo...m/page__st__120

Ā 

http://www.whitearmo...icep strapping

Ā 

GJ on the build, almost done!

Ā 

Yeah light at the end of the tunnel now, just hope it's not a train ;)

Ā 

Edited by BIDS

All the pictures I had seen had never differentiated between Left and Right, and only ever showed a single arm at a time. so I assumed that the strap was on the bottom.

Ā 

Your second link shows a picture of an original armo and there is clearly a R printed on it (dated April 11, 2017) that as the strap on the top, so I was incorrect and you are 100% right, the strap looks to be to the top of center vs the bottom, well done!

Ā 

I think I will leave mine on the bottom for the time being, I like the idea of any strap being hidden by my folded arm vs popping out at the top and fully visible when folded. Well, not so bad, it's just the edge will be visible really.

All the pictures I had seen had never differentiated between Left and Right, and only ever showed a single arm at a time. so I assumed that the strap was on the bottom.

Ā 

Your second link shows a picture of an original armo and there is clearly a R printed on it (dated April 11, 2017) that as the strap on the top, so I was incorrect and you are 100% right, the strap looks to be to the top of center vs the bottom, well done!

Ā 

No worries, the more eye's looking over a build the better. I've read so many great threads & tutorials it's hard to keep it straight which way is best. I think you really need to read as much as possible, talk to as many fellow troopers as possible, and then pick what you think suits you best.

Ā 

I think I will leave mine on the bottom for the time being, I like the idea of any strap being hidden by my folded arm vs popping out at the top and fully visible when folded. Well, not so bad, it's just the edge will be visible really.

Ā 

I like you're thinking, I might tape the strap into the bottom just to see how it feels there instead. Thanks again for your comments.

Yeah man. The strap should really go from the inside of the bicep to the inside of the forearm. Not just because that's what they used on screen but I think you'll be more comfortable that way and the strap will be less noticeable.

Ā 

-Eric

Update - Shoulder Bell Strapping

Ā 

I finished off the strapping on the shoulder bells by adding a snap plate to the bicep so it could be attached to the bell to avoid any possibility of it sliding down past the bottom of the bell.

Ā 

This strap is elastic to give some flexibility for movement ect.

Ā 

These pictures show the strap with the extra tab to join onto the shoulder bridge strap.

IMG_0843_zps3d411f92.jpg

IMG_0844_zpsb8686ce6.jpg

Ā 

Completed Arm Assemblies

IMG_0845_zpsd59ab130.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Update - Thigh Strapping

Ā 

I put the armor on so I could figure out where the thigh straps had to be attached, and I also put on the arm assemblies so that I could figure out the length required for the shoulder bell straps.

Ā 

Front & Rear Pictures, Thigh straps taped on to check height

IMG_0834_zpsf45a9358.jpg

IMG_0835_zpsc0bc2f66.jpg

Ā 

I used Nylon for the snap plates, again with velcro sewn on, and 4 snaps per leg.

For the strap I doubled over the elastic for maximum strength and the least chance of premature stretching.

The strap slides over the belt I use to suspend the thighs.

IMG_0836_zps0b8589c3.jpg

IMG_0838_zps2b22192f.jpg

IMG_0837_zps96e32dc3.jpg

IMG_0840_zpsd9d07933.jpg

Ā 

These pictures show the belt used to suspend the thighs with

IMG_0841_zps1653eef8.jpg

IMG_0842_zps1a2f52c3.jpg

Ā 

I've got a pair of suspenders ready in case I need to use them. I won't know until after a couple of troops, but the suspenders will allow the height of the thighs to be adjusted for height by lifting or lowering the belt slightly.

Ā 

Ā 

Thanks Eric, I hope my build ends up being as helpful to someone as yours has been to me. I've printed off a hard copy of yours and it lives in my armor box with various folders of reference material. Have you decided yet if your going to use RT-Mod again for your Centurion

Ā 

Got an answer right here for ya!

Ā 

YES!!! It is helpful. I just got my email from Rob that I am slated to get my RT armor in February. I plan to take it all the way to Centurion too...so not only am I following your build, but imagine ill be linking back to it when I start my thread!