New Trooper Project-Day Zero

Fellow Troopers,

Today is zero day of my new Storm Trooper project. My goal is to have the most advanced, most

accurate and best fitting TK out there. Picture a 5'11" 220 Lbs. male, with Han Solo looks and Darth Vader wit. That is really close to me. Really close.

I digress. This project has a timeline which I hope will end in September of 2013. Let's assume money is not an object, especially since this project is spread over ten months. I am looking for the best. Pre-built and prepped. Helm fully kitted with all the goodies (paint, electronics, speakers, etc.) Also, an extremely well made blaster. Everything. Think of a Trooper applying for EIB and Centurion.

Questions I have:

In your opinion, what is/are the best made TK's for my height/weight (5'11", 220 lbs, 24 in. thighs, size 36 jeans, 14 inch arms, 17 in. neck)?

I am unsure of which to go with; ROTJ, ANH or ESB. Thoughts?

In your opinion, what are the best internal mods to use for the helmet?

In your opinion, what is/are the best made grade 'A' E-11 blasters, preferable modified with sound and light effects?

Thank you!

TrooperMike

Edited by TrooperMike

The only thing I'll say right here, in response to one of your points, is that CfO RORJ armour is 95% centurion standard, by CRL levels. Which may be a starting point if that is your final aim. You are also a little bigger, though smaller in height than me, so it'd fit you with basic alterations. However, centurion e-11 blaster for ROTJ is a big job.

Tell me about it. I would love a fully built one like Pablo or Erv (both of which are ROTJ I think). Nonetheless, they are awesome. I would guess a E-11 project like that would cost about $1000 alone...which is not out of the picture, but I should probalby focus on the armour first!

sound like you want all the work done for you . 90% of this is the pride of making your own . even if you get a pr-made one you will still have to make adjustments to it and repairs have to be done all the time . if you have someone make it then you will not know how to do the repairs to it . im sure you can get all you want for 5-10 grand .

ps ; you cant buy your way into the 501st and i don't think you know what we do " My goal is to have the most advanced, most

accurate and best fitting TK out there " that is not why we do what we do and it looks like you dont understand that . we do this for the kids .....................not for $

Edited by snoopy trooper

Hello, Mike!

It is always nice to hear the enthusiasm for good accuracy and good fit! Before you can really jump into all that stuff, a few more questions.

Are you 220 football build, or is your 220 distributed differently? Are your shoulders very broad, or girthy? Are parts of your body disproportionately (or non-average) longer or shorter than others? I've found while helping troopers solve unique "body type" problems that there isn't really a way to do a one-size-fits-you approach to building a TK unless you are a supermodel. Which few of us are, so that's why we build, adjust, build, adjust.

Doing most of that work yourself is not only a great source of pride but the necessary skills to continue to tweak it for more accuracy, better fit, better troopability, and whatever your goals are. You can get a pre-trimmed suit and it does take more time and a little more money, but unless the builder is in your hometown there's little chance it's going to arrive to you absolutely perfect - so you'll likely be doing a few tweaks, possibly even un-building and rebuilding parts. I think most people want pre-trimmed or pre-built because they're scared poopless of ruining something, but once you start doing it you realize it's not that bad or hard at all, and you start to enjoy building armor... I know I'm addicted now!

You can, I think, get one of several people to build your bucket for you. But you might need to order parts (like the internal fan kit) from other people, and have them shipped to you. Why not just do that yourself? I was most afraid to ruin my helmet but it turned out not only to be the most fun part but the piece I'm most proud of and the part with the least problems like polishing and repairs.

For your question about which movie style, that's entirely personal preference. What is your favorite Stormtrooper scene in the original trilogy? That often starts you down that path.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best! At least you're here at FISD to get yourself started, so enjoy reading up on the how-tos and what-nots, and check out some of the build threads to see what you'll be getting into (or missing out on) depending on what you end up doing. If you think you have 10 months to complete it, you can absolutely do it yourself, a little at a time, and you'll be glad you did :)

And join your local garrison - always loads of help from your local experts!

Wow. Thanks for the advice everyone. It appears I owe you all an apology. I did not intend to demean anyone's personal efforts in building their own armour, nor their reasons for Trooping in the first place. I certainly have no intention of buying my way into the 501st, nor do I intend to spend 5-10 K on a TK getup. I simply recognize my shortcomings as to hands on building and would prefer an 'expert' to provide quality representative armour. I thought about 2K would suffice. Nonetheless, I have heard the masses as it were and will look elsewhere for pieces and parts and try to do it myself. No local garrison near me at all by the way, so all efforts would have been through this forum.

Ingrid, football player shape...a little extra padding in the middle, but not too much. I will take your advice to heart. Could be more fun anyway.

I have to say Snoopy Trooper...a bit harsh no? The entire reason I was going to do this is for my son. Your judgement is unwarranted and off base. 'Most advanced, most accurate and best fitting' are simply means to an end...which is putting a smile on his face. I thought the mission of FISD was essentially 'troopers helping troopers' within the community of TKs? Do I violate that by wanting accurate armour?

Edited by TrooperMike

On 11/5/2012 at 6:28 AM, TrooperMike said:

Fellow Troopers,

Today is zero day of my new Storm Trooper project. My goal is to have the most advanced, most

accurate and best fitting TK out there. Picture a 5'11" 220 Lbs. male, with Han Solo looks and Darth Vader wit. That is really close to me. Really close.

I digress. This project has a timeline which I hope will end in September of 2013. Let's assume money is not an object, especially since this project is spread over ten months. I am looking for the best. Pre-built and prepped. Helm fully kitted with all the goodies (paint, electronics, speakers, etc.) Also, an extremely well made blaster. Everything. Think of a Trooper applying for EIB and Centurion.

Questions I have:

In your opinion, what is/are the best made TK's for my height/weight (5'11", 220 lbs, 24 in. thighs, size 36 jeans, 14 inch arms, 17 in. neck)?

In your opinion, what is/are the best made grade 'A' E-11 blasters, preferable modified with sound and light effects?

Thank you!

TrooperMike

Dark regards & Imperial Greetings for the FISD!!!!

Welcome to the wonderful world of all that is Stormtrooper!!!!

Ready to make you’re your very own Imperial Assault trooper!!! Well u came to the right place!! https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:FISD_CRL

Plz take a moment to read through theses 2 links first.

http://www.whitearmo...and-guidelines/

http://www.whitearmo...-dos-and-donts/

Next become familiarized with the forum search engine. In the plus 5 years that the FISD is up and running there are thousands of threads full with questions and most important ANSWERES!!!! It is almost 99.95% that the question u have, has already been made and answered in multiple threads. By using the search function u will save time on your build research. Research = savings and a better build. The more u research the more information and knowledge u will have to make and choose the right armor, sizes parts and pieces and in the long run will mean spending less for better quality and a overall better build!!!

https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:FISD_CRL

EIB ( Expert Infantry Badge) & Centurion are not mandatory, but to be honest it really isn’t that much Harder or more expensive to go Centurion from the get go. We strongly suggest you do https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:FISD_CRL

Glad u found your way here :)

In regards to your questions :

Questions I have:

Well that's like asking which heart medication is best for your heart condition ;) Answeres vary greatly there isnt a 100% correct answer to that question. U need to research and familiaries your self with all the different armors out there. The FISD is the best place to start reading, also i like this place it is almost up-to-date on that info----------------

Thats also up to you Which is your favorite of the movies, also u need to know of all of the TK makes there are ( link is above)

Heart Medications again ...... one trooper has even installed a infrared camera in there helmet....

Same as above..... To many options to give u a straight answer.

Like i said your in the best place on this system (FISD) to find your answeres.

Good luck :)

Plus your in Colorado Great ppl there!!! as Ingrid said get in contact with your local 501st they will be of great help!!!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

i recently got a fully assembled kit from TM as I don't have a lot of time and space at home to have things layed out on the floor.

Ended up trimming a bit of the armour here and there for a more comfortable setup.

If I was to get a second suit, I would definitely build it myself next time. It would be a better fit and the accomplishment from the sanding and cutting is very fulfilling.

Advice.

if you are to trim a pre built suit, it is much harder. The first cut is daunting. I drew the lines inside the armour and used a stanley knife to cut. Finally sanding it down.

My gloves came attached with the plastic hand guards, but the glue discoloured the gloves in a months time. I would try going for an ESB suit next time to avoid the glueing.

Think carefully about the blaster. buy an off the shelf one or paint by yourself resin kit.

Please, remember this is a costuming forum, dedicated to the Stormtrooper costume. So the main reason of the Detachment is talking about the building of the Stormtrooper.

Also, the hobby means different things to different people, and while the 501st has an unquestionable charity side, that is the cornerstone of the club, not all the people get engaged in charity actions, and they are free to do so, and must be respected.

Keep comments constructive and on topic please. Thank you.

EIB and Centurion are not really for pre-built but a prestige program for those who went the extra mile. Their CRL are a good checklist for making an accurate TK all the way down to basic requirement level. We all tried to keep EIB/Centurion in mind when doing the basic trim/assembly, in case we apply for EIB/Centurion then we will be asked to do only smaller modifications and not have to replace a sniper plate for example. But the EIB/Centurion application often turns into a list of modifications to do, according to the extra mile principle, sometimes things that aren't stated in the CRL like fitting, that's why you should make it yourself from the start, 10 months is way enough for that :)

That are tons of stuff we can tell you:

-The best looking and most technically advanced TK's have essentially nothing to do with EIB / Centurion. Some advanced mods may prevent you from getting EIB / Centurion certification. Some EIB/Centurionable details will make your kit look less "idealized" depending on movie/TK.

-Your son won't care if you paid 15k or 25k or have an EIB badge or not on this forum.

-The experienced builders will apply fitting and assembly that worked for their body and only experimented pre-building for others who ended up ripping parts out and modding anyway.

-The best looking kit is untrimmed so the attention to details is on you and not on how much the pre-builder gets paid or tortured :) And if the reference chosen is one of the least worked on TK in the movie then this is how good looking it will get.

-We won't stop you from becoming a screen accurate stormtrooper with a 501st legion ID for whichever reason or means you come to it.

-Not all of us build their own costumes. Some get help, like, way too much help, and keep all the credit because we assume everyone built their own costume. I don't understand them but it's not really my business. Building makes me happy.

And lastly, I will get stoned for this:

-Football player or not, your width/height ratio isn't "screen accurate", inside the armor it doesn't make much difference where you put those lbs. The stormtrooper costume will make an athlete look fat unless you're much taller and lucky in your modding and fitting. Stormtroopers in the movies are all tall and slim. That's why most of us use shims on the sides, for our extra pancakes.

It is not really a problem but you did say "most everything" and that's something to base your decision on: use your 10 months and DIY.

PS: Some people are scared to DIY because the search engine on this forum is not so good and don't find the information easily and quickly enough..

Edited by Nicky

sound like you want all the work done for you . 90% of this is the pride of making your own . even if you get a pr-made one you will still have to make adjustments to it and repairs have to be done all the time . if you have someone make it then you will not know how to do the repairs to it . im sure you can get all you want for 5-10 grand .

ps ; you cant buy your way into the 501st and i don't think you know what we do " My goal is to have the most advanced, most

accurate and best fitting TK out there " that is not why we do what we do and it looks like you dont understand that . we do this for the kids .....................not for $

Snoopytrooper - you really can't say what is right for someone else.

YOU may think the pride of building is important, but it doesn't have to be. There's nothing in the charter to say you can't just buy a suit and troop. We've got guys in my garrison that won't put a piece of stickyback velcro on their own armor. They are also some of our most active troopers, both in and out of costume.

Please don't presume to define the entire Legion by your own standards.

Thanks everyone. I am looking at partly doing it myself and partly letting the experts handle some of it. While I did not appreciate the way Snoopy Trooper responded, I get his point, along with others. My lack of knowledge is a clear detriment, and I am actively working on changing that by researching everything I can on this forum. I agree with Nicky, sometimes the search engine does not appear to work well, but others times it does! So I will keep on looking.

Some things I have gathered since last night...

-do to my size, I will need to shim. Even if I go with a TM set. 5'11" is on OK size but the weight is an issue. Does the shim material usually come with the kits?

-I, in fact, do not look like Han Solo.

-I have seen pictures of the various TKs on this forum, but could not find a specific list of where they differ. It looks like the helmets are a bit different...but my inexperienced eye could not tell. I am embarrassed to say I loved all of the Stormtroopers in all of the movies...none stood out as different to me. **cringes as the masses stone him** Please enlighten?

Thank you again!

Various TK's:

I chose ANH Stunt because I wanted gray teeth, flat square-ish handguards, flat black-green lenses, a thermal detonator on the back, and nice butt joint everywhere but rear calves. ANH has blaster holster on the left side. Those details differ in the other movies and I personally think they are the most obvious details.

ANH Hero has bubble lenses, shorter teeth line, comlink piece if you're into it... that's was the only thing that strikes me.

If you focus your choice on the helmet you can scroll down on this and pick the prettiest one :)http://www.starwarsh...sub-submenu.htm Then you make the whole costume fit the single TK you chose according to CRL and blu-ray reference pics which is basically tons of details no one who is normal pays attention to. Don't hybrid.

EDIT: that link is much better: ------------

Note that most kits are more appropriate to either ANH, ESB or ROTJ, for example the kidney and butt-plate are fused in ROTJ and many kits come with split butt/kidney. I think AP kit comes with one piece butt/kidney so that would be the way to go for ROTJ at EIB level or higher.

Shimming the ab and kidney gab:

Shimming is only needed for EIB/Centurion. I have a T/MC kit, my body is 5 feet 911/16, 180 lbs and I'd have to shim but I didn't go around doing it yet.

I don't think leaving extra plastic when trimming kidney plate and ab plate will do the trick as it isn't "quality plastic" past the marked line. So you can use finishing strips matching the same kit you order, there's usually enough for shimming (since you only have to do it on one side). Then you can work the seam lines with silicone caulk if you really want a single clean thin gap.

EDIT: I don't think it's about fat bellies but your bone structure and the plate scale. When you fit the ab/kidney you heat the parts and increase the curve so it "wraps around you", the more you bend the closer both ends get to eachother. You can suck in your belly if that's where your lbs ended, but your ribcage or pelvis will not squeeze itself.

Han Solo:

We're all part of the Han Solo Anonymous support group.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

There's a lot of great advice here in your thread. I would be repeating their info if I were to answer your questions.

Sometimes a project like this can be overwhelming. There's so much to think about and so many options available to you. I've learned to take baby steps and focus on one thing at a time. I built my TK on my own and used this forum as my manual. I had no clue what I was doing and had never come close to doing a project like this before. I didn't contact any 501st until I was approved and started trooping; even though I had lots of troopers around me. This forum and its members are here to help guide you.

Even though the 501st map doesn't show anyone near Aspen, I would still register on the Mountain Garrison's forum and introduce yourself. Have you done this yet? Maybe there's someone nearby that you don't know about. It's worth asking. http://www.mg501.com/