ddays 1.5mm TM ANH Hero (mostly complete)

So I got my TM suit, 1.5mm, very nice stuff! Great color, flexible (I can even sit down in it, which is amazing!) and really durable for trooping.

I built it in stealth mode, it took me a few weeks and about 12 hours to complete it over this time. While not the fastest, I feel pretty good about how long it took.

I built the suit to go for centurion, and as far as I can tell the only thing I'm missing right now is completing my doopys and getting some rubber gloves. These are easy fixes, just down to a little time to get it sorted before I submit my eib and cent.

So without further ado, the photos. Comments, criticisims, thoughts, are all welcome. Just remember, I cry a lot. So who really wants to make an old man cry?

IMG_6803.jpg

IMG_6804.jpgIMG_6808.jpgIMG_6812.jpgIMG_6813.jpgIMG_6819.jpgIMG_6822.jpgIMG_6823.jpgIMG_6826.jpgIMG_6827.jpgIMG_6828.jpgIMG_6832.jpgIMG_6837.jpgIMG_6838.jpgIMG_6839.jpgIMG_6840.jpgIMG_6846.jpgIMG_6849.jpg

Edited by Dday

So remaining left to do...

Doopys resin build, lightly scuff the boots for centurion, add ABS hooks for the biceps, rubber gloves.

So likely Sonnenshine will have a new order form me for another set of hand guards, since I don't think I can remove my current ones form my gloves without ruining them. I can give it a try though..

Such a pain Eib/cent require guns! I could almost submit right away... well at least EiB since I still need some rubber gloves for centurion. :)

Edited by Dday

Thanks for the praise though. I owe a lot to GeauxSaints build thread, questions to paul and the rest of the forum, their photos and posts and every little scrap of material on here.

Very nice! Such a clean build! Wish I could get some TM armour one day :P

One small criticism, or more of a question really.... but is there meant to be that much gap between your biceps and forearms? I can see that you have them strapped together, but I was under the impression that those 2 pieces 'butted up' against each other? correct me if I am wrong, since I don't know much about the hero suits... but thought I'd throw it out there anyway :)

are the shins using the bra hook method? Looks amazing buddy! Great job.

Isaac, yes, I have the bra hooks in the back. I decided that I wanted to do semi-original strapping. So I went with the brackets in the body and the straps/hooks in the shins. The hooks and straps in the shins make the seam not so solid, but that is just the way it was in the films, so I'm ok with that. It's only semi original strapping as I didn't use the glued on strapping for the rest of the armor, but rather snaps to hold the rest down.

Wow - you look awesome! Some day I hope to look as good. Probably the best ANH Hero I think we've seen to date.

Paul, can I get that in my FISD Kudos?! Lol, just kidding :D

Very nice! Such a clean build! Wish I could get some TM armour one day :P

One small criticism, or more of a question really.... but is there meant to be that much gap between your biceps and forearms? I can see that you have them strapped together, but I was under the impression that those 2 pieces 'butted up' against each other? correct me if I am wrong, since I don't know much about the hero suits... but thought I'd throw it out there anyway :)

Sean, well spotted. I ended up going with snaps inside the bells to hold the biceps up, this makes a shorter edge on the outside and brings it up considerably so that the bicep actually comes in under the strap on the inside. I'm going to be changing that around before my EIB/Cent submissions to stop using the snap and make a set of hooks for the inside of the bicep to hang it on the elastic strap, just like the original suits had. This will make the outside edge longer, and get them closer to butting up. Part of my problem as well is being 6'6" and having longer then average arms. So there is 1/2 an inch here and there between pieces that the gap will never go away.

the suit looks great but in my opinion the grey frown on the bucket should come down a bit on the ends,but i could be wrong.

Patrick, well spotted! When I was painting my frown, I painted the entire tooth from the middle going out, this makes the frown a bit fatter then the originals, which makes the frown edges looks odd and in order to match the rest of the frown I painted them in like that. What I should have done was start to taper the frown at the second tooth on each side. Maybe one day in a fit of accuracy I will modify the frown to clean the taper up.

To everyone posting, thank you for your praise, it is well received.

I agree I also think the biceps should sit lower. On a personal level I think the shoulder bells should be closer to the body so I would shorten the elastic, you need to lose the visible popper that is showing on your thigh elastic( picture 6) and I would also look at making the elastic between the chest and the back a little longer so that the chest could sit a little lower, at the moment it looks as though it may ride above the ab plate.

From a practical point of view I might be tempted to glue a small piece of ABS behind the thigh join at the bottom on the left thigh (picture 7) as it looks like the sniper plate may catch there and it may just damage it, I'm thinking prevention is better than cure. ;)

But all in all - you look pretty cool!! :duim:

I agree I also think the biceps should sit lower. On a personal level I think the shoulder bells should be closer to the body so I would shorten the elastic, you need to lose the visible popper that is showing on your thigh elastic( picture 6) and I would also look at making the elastic between the chest and the back a little longer so that the chest could sit a little lower, at the moment it looks as though it may ride above the ab plate.

From a practical point of view I might be tempted to glue a small piece of ABS behind the thigh join at the bottom on the left thigh (picture 7) as it looks like the sniper plate may catch there and it may just damage it, I'm thinking prevention is better than cure. ;)

But all in all - you look pretty cool!! :duim:

Agreement from me on all points. The shoulder bells are a bit far out, so I will be redoing the strap to take the extra inch off. I'm a little worried I might be pulling the shoulder strap out a bit much by that also, so when I revisit the shoulder/chest strap I will see what I can do to ensure the shorter shoulder strap doesn't pull it out of whack.

I think my biggest complaint about TM was that it's not made for 6'6" (198cm) people! Wow, what was Paul thinking, making his suit for normal sized people and not me personally? ... Yes, the chest ab straps are under a lot of stress, and the only way I could think to fix that was exactly as you said, add about an inch to the back/shoulder strap to let the chest come down a little. This will most likely be split between the back and front since they both have an equal amount of pull. I will have to experiment with it. Already I've got only 4 ribs on the shoulder ABS strap to the front, and 4 ribs on the back ABS strap, so I don't want to go to far or it will ride to low, so I will play with the positioning some to get it to sit right.

Very nice fit! I don't see the arms as being a problem and 6'6 goes well for the rest of the kit. Have you tried a different forearm attachment method to keep it higher? Personally I hate moving parts so I did this.

Nice trim too, the edges and return edges are all there, looks very neat and with preserved depth in the look. That's freakin' nice close ups, for example pic 6813.

What's your top undersuit called? You're from germany so maybe I could get something similar. I need to try many :)

I always saw how the Hero helmets teeth-gray line ends shorter than the Stunt, so it doesn't bother me to see it that way. Had it been a Stunt I would expect to count more teeth and 2 extra holes.

Great job. Don't shrink ^^

Edited by Nicky

I used Eastbay brand for the tops and bottoms, and I think shrinking is inevitable asI get older, but it shouldn't be dramatic for quote some time yet...

I'm not what what I am looking at in your link, I see a cross strap with a button. Maybe you oculd explain what you have done for me as I am thick of head.

My friend did the pictures and he has a super amazing camera that he does quite a few professional shoots on, so I'm pretty happy getting some free shots!

Thanks! I'll look into it. I don't expect my underarmors to last a year, and I think it's worth having many spares.

Ah sorry, it seems obvious to me since I've seen the real thing :) Your attachment is forearm strapped to bicep, if I'm correct. If it's tight in the forearm then it is stable that way. My photo shows right before I attach my forearm pieces. I snap mine to an elastic strap looped around the base of my forearm near the elbow. So no matter where my bicep pieces are or how I bend my arms, it stays up high. So one snap on the inside of the forearm piece, one snap on a looped elastic strap with velcro. I do that because otherwise the just slip down to my wrists after awhile.

I don't know how high you can lift your forerarms but the only thing I see is the larger gap around the elbow. It doesn't really bother but if you can raise your handguards and forearms only 1 cm it may do the trick.

Edited by Nicky

Hey Derrek, apart from the things already mentioned, I think your armour looks really great. I have a TM as well... unfortunately, du to time issues, it's still in the box.

Your size of 1.98m makes your build even more impressive. Are these Paul's "standard" shins, or did you use the XL version he also offers?

Nice Hero Derrek. At least you get the "aren't you a little tall to be a storm trooper"! Much better that what I'm afraid I'll get, "aren't you a little fat to be a storm trooper"! You can join the ranks of Economical Assult Trooper (EAT), but I'll need to stick with Fortified Assult Trooper (FAT) I'm afraid.

Hey Derrek, apart from the things already mentioned, I think your armour looks really great. I have a TM as well... unfortunately, du to time issues, it's still in the box.

Your size of 1.98m makes your build even more impressive. Are these Paul's "standard" shins, or did you use the XL version he also offers?

They are the XL shins. I would be hopelessly lost without them!

Thanks for the praise though. I owe a lot to GeauxSaints build thread, questions to paul and the rest of the forum, their photos and posts and every little scrap of material on here.

Thanks, Derrek! That makes me happy to know somebody got something from my (ongoing) build thread. You've done a really good job! I hope mine ends up just a good. I just added my shoulder bell strap assembly to it. I'm getting really close to finishing. What did you use to paint your latex hand guards?

I got the white rubber ones vs painted latex. I wasn't sold on the latex paint coming off and needing to be reprinted, even if it is accurate.