HW TK or Sandy? How does the public react to a HWT?

So I am thinking of my next project.

One thing that annoys me about my RS suit, because I am 6'1" and broad shouldered the back plate leaves a lot of black around it. Easy way to fix that? Wear a back pack!

Ok now the easiest thing I can do Is to go HWT, as it would essentially be adding TD parts to my TK. A little light weathering and it would be done. I can always take off the extra bits and still be a normal TK.

Sounds like a plan, right?

But then I started to wonder, how does the public react to a HWT? Do they think you are just a clean Sandy, and therefore your costume seems incomplete to them?

I am actually leaning towards making a full on TD, but at that point there will be no going back to normal TK.

Sorry for the Ramble.

Guess this is really more of a poll, are you glad with your HWT, or do you wish you had a TD instead?

I´d go for TD for sure.

Never having played any of the games from the expanded universe, I´m not that familiar with the HWT, so to me it looks like an incomplete Sandtrooper, and I would think that the general public would think the same.

Gee, most of the public don´t even know the difference between a TK and a TD, or even a Snowtrooper or Bikerscout.

I think the Sandtroopers look badass though, and have many times though of doing one myself.

But then I started to wonder, how does the public react to a HWT? Do they think you are just a clean Sandy, and therefore your costume seems incomplete to them?

I think in all honesty if you are are really talking "public", it doens't matter much so long as you look cool. I would hazard a guess that most poeple wonder why that stormtrooper is so dirty.

What he said ^. Fwiw I'm going TD I'm my first build for two reasons. They are totally BA and my armor is not as white as I would like it for TK. It's more off white and dull compared to other pulls. Not sure if the novus will just make it shiny but not whiten

Most people think the HWT just looks cool with the pack, pauldron and the BFG! A lot call me a sandtrooper but I just let it go. The best thing about HWT is that you take off the pack and pauldron, replace the dropboxes, holster and Termal Detonator, grab my E11 and presto...I'm a TK agian. Makes 2 costumes in one. If you go full sandtrooper, that's it, Sandy only. I am working on a new set of ATA that will be my shiney armour that I can still wheather for HWT, then my current armor will go full Sandy.

I like having the option of pulling off the pack when my back gets a bit tired too.

Yeah that was my problem as well. I hate to royally dirty up my Shiney PVC RS, seems almost a shame. A few scuffs for a battle worn look though and It still works as an ESB trooper.

I have always thought Sandies looked pretty cool though, and all the sandy bits would hide some of the sizing issues with the RS.

Looking at Rolfs amazing sandy RS build though wow.

I will probably wait until I get my TM suit in hand to decide what I do.

I want to have ANH Hero, Stunt, ESB, and ROTJ TKs for sure, so whatever I do I need to make sure that is still going to work.

It is possible the TM will go for Hero/Stunt and ESB, which would leave me to get dirty on the RS....

suddenly I have the scene from Tropic Thunder in my head

3lcd.jpg

Edited by rhapsodyred99

I think in all honesty if you are are really talking "public", it doens't matter much so long as you look cool. I would hazard a guess that most poeple wonder why that stormtrooper is so dirty.

This.

I don't think the general public knows the difference.

I think you should go full Sandy.

It is more of a compromise since there is no way back. But the rewarding feeling of being one of the real Badass dirty looking cool guys in the empire has no comparison.

But, being a Sandtrooper vs a HWT is more than adding some dirt. Its a character with a very specific rol in the Saga, specially since they appear in the OT. So there is a lot of room for interaction with the public and most fans know what to say to your lines.

No other trooper can really say stuff like: Let me see your identification or How long have you have this droids.... and the very cool "These aren't the droids you are looking for" from the public while waving their hand in front of you. Just lots of fun...

Ok, I know that could be performed by anyone, but no one can do it more cool than TDs!!! :)

That and TDs rock!!

:)

Saludos

Edited by iconoclasta_88

I've got a HWT and people love it. The huge gun and backpack make you just that much cooler. I agree with what others said, you have the option of reverting back to a clean TK anytime you want. I wouldn't go sandy permanently because the pauldron and backpack actually make trooping a little bit more uncomfortable. The pauldron restricts your head movement and the backpack can be a big strain on your shoulders.

LOL I have actually been over to the MEPD and have to say the SWAT program is daunting, getting the armor/pouches/backpack is not too hard, but applying dirt to match a specific trooper that may only have 3 frames of reference? wow.

I would want the orange pauldron DLT 19 toting cantina captain, but trying to match his dirt would be unreal :P

Great job on your armor of course!

Rolf's build of the "Move Along guy" was what started the thinking of a sandy to begin with back when i was building my RS into an ESB.

I could pretty easily go HWT with the same look as Cantina Captain sans all the dirt and still get back to ESB though...

Ultimately it will depend on how the TM sets with me, it would be pretty easy to have the TM be ANH hero, stunt, and ESB with a few swapped out parts....

Thanks for the responses all, what can I say I am addicted to armor. I need e6000 fumes to survive anymore...

Ok, I know that could be performed by anyone, but no one can do it more cool than TDs!!! :)

That and TDs rock!!

Thanks Juan, My HWT has a TD designation...LOL!

When I troop my HWT, I usually get called a Sandtrooper..lol..depending if they say "you're awfully clean" for a Sandtrooper, I'll tell them "Darth Vader would'nt let me back on the Death Star unless I took a bath!" ;) I love wearing the pack, pouches and sportin' a BFG though! Adds a REAL BADASS kind of swagger to it! Lol! It is nice to switch back to a clean TK.. :smiley-sw013:

• 1 year later...

if you really think about it... make the back pack and see how you like it.. if its something you dont see your self trooping with regularly, then just go for HWT. If you like it and dont mind wearing it for extended periods of time... go full sandy. Either way you're going to be using the back pack 

I used to have 2 sets of armor - one for TD & one for TK.  Personally I loved my TD, and even was XO over on MEPD.  However as I'm trooping less now I decided to sell my TD and when I want to go full bore then just add my accessories and go HWT.  As noted, you can then have a more fully kitted up look without having to shell out the $$ for a full second costume.

My experience is that the fans dig the HWT.  When asked I just say I just got posted to Mos Eisley and haven't yet been sent out on patrol.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter which way you go.  When the gear is done right, you will look awesome no matter what character you are emulating.

You should just do what you think is cool for you.

I personally have never owned just a TK.  My 1st set of armor was a battered and bruised old set of FX Sandtrooper armor I picked up super cheap.

It needed a lot of TLC.  After working on it for 6 months, it really came out great.  That was back in 2009 and I still troop the same suit to this day.

And remember, you can pass for MEPD Officer and don't have to go SWAT level if you don't want to.  I personally like my TD having it's own personality.

Me on the left...

164914_241837755941299_1509735246_n_zps2

MEPDTradingCard.jpg

All that being said, Sandies do seem to get serious attention out in public!