Why do you do this?

I was wondering, why do you members spend all this money on and build your armor? What do you use it for? I'm not old enough to join the Legion yet so for me it would be laying down $1,300 for a cool halloween costume/room decoration. Since i'm not a legion member I can't go to troops, and I don't go to things like Pax or DragonCon. Is there any other uses I could get out of it? What do you all use it for, because it is an awfully big investment.

Edited by Grimez

The other day I was trooping at a non 501st function, a school fundraiser, and this little kid runs up to me and throws his arms around my legs with the biggest bear hug he could muster. He then rattles off a string of sentences in such a high pitched squeal of delight that I couldn't understand a single word he says. Turns out neither could anyone else because he has downs syndrome. For the next five minutes we posed for picture after picture until they literally had to pry him away.

If I never strap on the suit again, every penny I ever spent was worth it to me just for that one little boy.

That is why we do it.

The other day I was trooping at a non 501st function, a school fundraiser, and this little kid runs up to me and throws his arms around my legs with the biggest bear hug he could muster. He then rattles off a string of sentences in such a high pitched squeal of delight that I couldn't understand a single word he says. Turns out neither could anyone else because he has downs syndrome. For the next five minutes we posed for picture after picture until they literally had to pry him away.

If I never strap on the suit again, every penny I ever spent was worth it to me just for that one little boy.

That is why we do it.

that is awesome, its nice to see you guys brighten up kids days like that. keep the answers coming!

charity work. public appearances, being able to be on stage with famous people. meeting important people.

having fun.

sweating, armor bites, bruises that don't go away for 2 weeks... almost fainting due to heat... driving 500 miles for a free

appearance that cost almost as much as the armor itself.

going to san francisco 2 times, sacramento 3 times... walking several miles...

spending years and thousands of dollars just to wear a plastic bucket on your head.

the cost of armor is only a small fraction of the cost of wearing it out to events.

hotel, food. gas. it's not a cheap thing to be a Star Wars Stormtrooper.

25,000 + miles in one year on the truck then all the gas going for a 5hr drive one way but like above said its not cheap . but when it come to the end of the day and you look back and say its all worth it . seeing the kids and the ones that want to be a kid again priceless . :dance:

ps . you can go to troops ( get on you local garrisons page ) . most events need handlers , taking picks just all around help . its a way for you to see how much fun it is if you don't want to jump right in to being a trooper .

Edited by snoopy trooper

I always wanted one since seing Star Wars when I was 8 years old! I had the toys, magazines, books, etc... I wanted the armor. Since discovering this site by searching on the web. I am living out my childhood dream! You can have the same armor and accesories, that was used in the film, and be able to wear it or have it on display in your home! Also, the feeling of making someone happy and helping good causes along the way!

Andy

your body size and rate of growth determines what type of armor to look into.

there is a group for 18 and under. but you would need a guardian to help at events.

your body size and rate of growth determines what type of armor to look into.

there is a group for 18 and under. but you would need a guardian to help at events.

Yeah, I saw the Galactic Academy page, but it felt like it was focused on really young kids. And I didn't see much organization to it, or a forum.

And I would say i'm an average body type, i'm not overweight. I'm currently 5' 8" although i might end up with another couple inches over the years.

most people continue to grow into their 30's I would start with an ATA kit, and then as you get older, sell that off, and get a more expensive kit as time goes by.

most people continue to grow into their 30's I would start with an ATA kit, and then as you get older, sell that off, and get a more expensive kit as time goes by.

At which point they continue to grow...um outward :P

least I did!

Rubbish. Buy one of mine and get the best to start with! :laugh1:

In all seriousness there is a lot of good advice here and listen, research, research some more, listen a bit more then do a bit more research ask a few more questions listen to the answers, research a tad more listen again.............. :lol:

That video bought a tear to my slightly deformed right eye! Amazing,...... Simply awe inspiring. :salute:

AP is very nice, their helmets are quite popular in particular

People have suggested ATA because it's an awesome cheap/entry level kit (that can still be taken to super accuracy)

people suggested RS because it's the absolute most accurate ANH/ESB kit there is

Mark suggested CfO because he makes and sells it LOL (nah but seriously, CfO is the ultimate RotJ kit, top shelf stuff)

The choice is yours in the end