Ducati's Build

Ducati

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The folding stock - part 3 - The gusset, stock butt spring, pivot pin, and a stopper.

The gusset

BlasterBuild06-14-12018.jpg

BlasterBuild06-14-12019.jpg

BlasterBuild06-14-12020.jpg

BlasterBuild06-14-12021.jpg

BlasterBuild06-14-12022.jpg

BlasterBuild06-14-12023.jpg

The pin

BlasterBuild06-14-12026.jpg

BlasterBuild06-14-12027.jpg

BlasterBuild06-14-12028.jpg

BlasterBuild06-14-12029.jpg

BlasterBuild06-14-12031.jpg

The stopper

BlasterBuild06-14-12033.jpg

BlasterBuild06-14-12034.jpg

BlasterBuild06-14-12035.jpg

The spring - this part gets welded together with the last post. They are positioned together how I'm holding it in the 3rd pic down.

BlasterBuild06-18-12006.jpg

BlasterBuild06-18-12007.jpg

BlasterBuild06-18-12008.jpg

How all this stuff goes together

BlasterBuild06-14-12032.jpg

BlasterBuild06-14-12024.jpg

BlasterBuild06-14-12025.jpg

Folding stock - Part 4 - The plunger, Folding stock butt, and a few random bits

The plunger

BlasterBuild06-14-12040.jpg

BlasterBuild06-14-12041.jpg

BlasterBuild06-14-12042.jpg

BlasterBuild06-14-12043.jpg

BlasterBuild06-14-12044.jpg

A spring

BlasterBuild06-14-12045.jpg

BlasterBuild06-14-12046.jpg

BlasterBuild06-14-12047.jpg

ANOTHER VIDEO - THE PARTS PICTURED ABOVE WORKING TOGETHER

http://s1324.beta.ph...-12048.mp4.html

The folding stock butt. I ended up getting this CNC'd It was too complicated & required too much precision to try and fabricate.

BlasterBuild06-14-12050.jpg

Here it is after I added some dimples in the sides. The sides let the butt lock into place when the stock is folded.

BlasterBuild06-18-12039.jpg

Below is the corresponding grooves that are required to let the folding stock lock into the unfolded position

BlasterBuild06-18-12004.jpg

Another laser cut detail glued into place

Blaserbuild09-28-12004.jpg

The finished stock body

Blaserbuild09-28-12027.jpg

Edited by Ducati

Assembly - part 1

The first major assembly set was to have the handles for the grip welded into place. Sorry no pictures of the welding process but here's part way through. Another stitch was placed along the seam where the barrel meets the grip after this.

BlasterBuild06-14-12004.jpg

The other side

BlasterBuild06-14-12005.jpg

I ended up doing a bunch of filing and filling to make the weld look a little closer to the actual prop. You can see that in some of the pictures later on. Next was the mag well and rear stock lock. I used gorilla glue to attach both parts then a 2 part sculpting epoxy to form the blend between the barrel and the individual parts. This is how I filled the chipping that happened during the machining process on the mag well.

Blasterbuild07-05-12010.jpg

Blasterbuild07-05-12011.jpg

BlasterBuild07-25-12028.jpg

After the above picture I did additional sanding and filling with a Tamiya filler. Next I started to glue/weld some of the smaller details into place

BlasterBuild07-25-12059.jpg

BlasterBuild07-25-12060.jpg

BlasterBuild06-18-12027.jpg

Tabs for the butt cap

In the very first post I skipped over the tabs on the butt cap. They were laser cut then bend. I fit them to the butt cap using the folding stock body as a jig. I temporary glued them into place and then had them welded after.

BlasterBuild07-31-12016.jpg

BlasterBuild07-31-12018.jpg

BlasterBuild07-31-12019.jpg

BlasterBuild07-31-12020.jpg

BlasterBuild07-31-12021.jpg

Priming

Everything that is aluminum required a aluminum specific primer. The machined aluminum is too smooth (on a microscopic level) for a regular primer to bond to. So I needed to use a primer that would etch the surface. I masked off the inside of the barrel as it's mostly covered and hardly seen. Everything that was plastic I painted with a plastic specific primer; you'll notice its a darker grey.

BlasterBuild08-31-12003.jpg

BlasterBuild08-31-12004.jpg

BlasterBuild08-31-12001.jpg

Other bits being primed. I won't post pictures of it all but here are some of the more iconic ones.

BlasterBuild08-31-12002.jpg

BlasterBuild07-25-12025.jpg

BlasterBuild07-25-12071.jpg

BlasterBuild07-25-12129.jpg?t=1352407033

BlasterBuild07-25-12132.jpg

Painting

I hit the barrel with a metallic paint.

Blaserbuild09-28-12011.jpg

Once the metallic had cured I applied a liquid latex mask where I wanted a chipping effect

Blaserbuild09-28-12021.jpg

Next was to hit it with a full coat of flat black

Blaserbuild09-28-12023.jpg

I then masked off the magazine and hit everything else with the hammered black

Blaserbuild09-28-12032.jpg

All dry

Blaserbuild09-28-12035.jpg

Chipping the liquid latex off

Blaserbuild09-28-12038.jpg

A jig and the cool paint effect that was left on it

Blaserbuild09-28-12037.jpg

Electrical work

I have a co-worker that I recruited into doing the electrical work on the blaster. I was very happy to have him along for the project as this is his area of expertise and I was overwhelmed with mechanical side of things as it was.

He found these tiny LEDs that you'll see all over the blaster. I couldn't believe how small they are. I actually had trouble getting the camera to focus on them

Blasterbuild03-31-12016.jpg

Blasterbuild03-31-12017.jpg

The first one glued in place in the scope. FYI we used hot glue for these.

Blaserbuild09-28-12016.jpg

Blaserbuild09-28-12017.jpg

A bunch more soldered together for the internal barrel

Blasterbuildadam7-30-12.jpg

The above LEDs glued in place

BlasterBuild10-03-12007.jpg

The front of the internal barrel; detailing the "muzzle" LED

BlasterBuild10-03-12006.jpg

After the first day of soldering. Look at the size of the capacitors. The circuit board is a blaster core 4.0.

BlasterBuild10-03-12005.jpg

The finished internal barrel

Blasterbuild10-26-12001.jpg

A test fit of the internal barrel

Blasterbuild26-10-12005.jpg

Starting on the 10 bar LED for the counter

Blaserbuild09-28-12014.jpg

Blaserbuild09-28-12015.jpg

Speaker is all wired up and everything is ready to be heat shrunk together. Note the switch in the bottom right. It's to turn the scope light/laser pointers in the power cells on.

Blaserbuild09-28-12018.jpg

The power cells all wired up. We did end up reducing the number of coils by 3 or 4.

Blasterbuild26-10-12001.jpg

And the scope/counter mounted to the barrel. The wire bundle pulled into the barrel. The power cells aren't glued into place yet. I wanted to make sure everything was wired correctly before permanently fixing stuff into place.

BlasterBuild10-03-12001.jpg

The mode selection switch

Blasterbuild26-10-12006.jpg

Blasterbuild26-10-12008.jpg

So, when does the mass production on these begin?! If you didn't love this project a lot I"m sure you would never have been this far. Amazing job you are doing!

If you're willing to share the cnc-files we can host it on FISD for anyone who wants it. With credits to you of course. :)

Eventually - all the files currently have a bunch of personal info that I don't want to share. Once I remove all of that stuff then I would be happy to upload the whole poop-a-roo. Models + drawings = about 160mb. I would also like to add a set of PDF's for people that don't have solidworks. Timeline wise I would guess sometime before the end of the year. Could you PM me about how to get stuff up on the site?

Eventually - all the files currently have a bunch of personal info that I don't want to share. Once I remove all of that stuff then I would be happy to upload the whole poop-a-roo. Models + drawings = about 160mb. I would also like to add a set of PDF's for people that don't have solidworks. Timeline wise I would guess sometime before the end of the year. Could you PM me about how to get stuff up on the site?

No real need to PM though. Just upload it to one of the free temporary file hosting services, hand me the link. I'll then download it and re-upload it to FISD for permanent hosting. :)

this is just so close it's silly, but it would have been so much better to use original parts.

even the e-11 x looks 100% perfect. compared to this 70%.

it's just so close... but it's not close enough to make me say woo hoo.

any time a person makes a sterling rebuild it just looks so much better because it's the real parts

this build is just so cool it deserves massive respect.

but dang it. why didn't you use all this skill to make a replica with original parts, scope and hengstler?

in the entire legion you're one of the only people to do this, but dang it brother...

with the real parts out there, it would have banged my buck to see

a build with original parts on a tube, like plecter labs.

so for me as a blaster nut, fan. pseudo expert I only thought that it all would have looked much better if you just machined a steel tube

and mounted the parts to it.

it's just so amazing that you could get so close. and the end cap and the sight rail, and the location of the hengstler could have been more accurate.

the power cells on the magazine are supposed to have 3 center capacitors, but it's supposed to be 2 on the bottom and one on the top

such an amazing display of "so close" it's painful.

I could go on and on about how close you are... but in the end I guess I'm just biased.

I'm not surprised at all if some don't understand my pain and passion.

I wanted this build to knock my socks off... and it did... on one level... but compared

to erv in france, I felt that using the original parts is just so much more satisfying

on the other hand, you've done an amazing job of making every part.

so it's really a matter of the heart...

and I'm torn between the two worlds of e-11.

I'm still tossing and turning over this build!

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Hi Vern,

I understand and appreciate your opinion. You certainly are the E-11 accuracy expert.

Using real parts is an impossibility where I am due to the fire arms regulations. It just wasn't an option. You may be thinking "you have the grip..." . That story is interesting but not one I'm willing to share. I will say that it involved some very understanding people, a lot of bureaucratic hoops and a lot of luck. In hindsight, there are a few things I would change if I could go back in time knowing what I know now. But it's all small stuff that only an expert such as yourself could pick out.

At the end of the day the only one that needs to be happy with this build is me and I'm thrilled with it.

it might have been possible to use a real folding stock, and the rear end cap from a real sterling, since apex does sell those

parts separately! yet since you used aluminum it's really above the bar for most alum builds.

you're not the only person who's thrilled with it!

we all are very proud of your attention to detail!

I only studied the sterling, and you're the expert now just as well as anyone who does something as awesome as you did.

we all can become experts in this hobby, that's why I like the transparency of information we all have now in the stormtrooper world.

it was not always this way!

as a matter of fact it sure would be amazing cool to have ROTJ parts laser cut. the MGC sterling copy could be

completely done with flat sheets of steel.

since the original MGC was just pressed, folded and rolled steel plate.

would your shop be interested in doing runs for me in sheet steel?

I would love to have a stack of cut parts ready to bend into shape.

PM me if you'd like to help with a project like that.

I'd pay for it!

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392