Horrendous T/MC builds...

So I recently ordered 3 sets of armor from Tray. ( for me and my brothers ) And the first one arrived at work today!

It came a bit earlier than I suspected so I don't quite have all my supplies yet but I will start trimming tomorrow. After un packing I gotta say this is a bit more intimidating than I thought it would be but I'm sure ill manage. The best part is when I opened up the box at work my regional walked into the warehouse and got a good laugh. Anyway... On with the obligatory box pic!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

post-17091-135105251177.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ha! Funny title for this thread. I fully expected you to have photos of some very bad builds. :D

You're going to look great, so maybe you should change it to "SOON TO BE AMAZING" instead! :D

Ha! Funny title for this thread. I fully expected you to have photos of some very bad builds. :D

I thought the same thing! Looking forward to seeing a family of kits come together at once!

I started trimming the shoulder bells and forearms last night. The forearms were warped enough that there is no way they'd glue together and hold. So I clamped them and taped them up on place and left them over night in hopes they'd bend into the correct shape.

I've noticed this with a few pieces including the shoulder bells and chest stomach plate. Is this a common occurrence and how what methods are typically used for reshaping ? All I've seen so far is the boiling water method

I was recently with the T/MC maker and watched a lot of the pieces being pulled. We talked about the forearms specifically and he just bent them over and held for a minute to shape. The put more curve into the edges, so they weren't so flared out. Don't be afraid to bend on them, I bent my over in half almost to get them in the shape I needed. Check my build thread too, just did my other forearm last night

I had the same issue with forearms not matching (T/MC) but that issue disappeared after using the heat gun.

Here's my forearms:

2012_07_18_20_46_21.jpg

After heat gun:

2012_07_18_21_19_23.jpg

Once you can hold them two together with one hand you're good to glue without hassle.

Edited by Nicky

So you just heated them up carefully then held them in the place you wanted them to be untill they held the shape on their own? I got all the arms and legs fully trimmed last night.. looks like I'm gonna need to do this process on all the pieces

On crucial parts you never heat the ABS until it becomes soft, you do little by little and repeat the process until the curves match. What I did was hold the part against the table while applying vertical pressure from one edge, heated on one half where the curve needed to change, stopped, waited a bit and repeated the process, after awhile I flipped over and did the same on the other half.

If you heat until it needs to be held in place then it will warp, you will see finger marks where you held the plastic, ie. a disaster.

Edited by Nicky

Excellent... I've finished all my major trimming and started on the helmet. The helmet seems to be going very smooth and is much easier than I thought it would be.

One flaw with the helmet and after referencing pics is the right eye socket is deformed. It appears to be a common problem but I am hoping to be able to reshape that as well.

Also, the shoulder bells are exact copies.. not mirrored do I think it may look a little funny once its being worn. Is this a common thing?

The tapatalk app doesn't seem to wanna let me post pictures.

Thanks guys!

I have one of the recent T/MC kits, too. I haven't got very far with it yet, but I noticed the right eye deformity in photos before I bought it. (I'm assuming you are referring to the 'bump' along the lower rim of the eye) I think the irregularity is actually present in screen TK's...it is just a bit exaggerated in this kit, perhaps because of the thicker ABS or simply as a resulting of the way the molds were produced. I imagine it can be sanded down a bit.

Got the helmet completely assembled minus the paint/ Mic tips . Also have my armor completely trimmed and ready for glue/ snaps. As soon as I get my stuff from trooper bay I think this armor will really start to come together.

I should be seeing my other 2 tk's soon as well as my trooperbay stuff very soon so I'm gonna be a very busy armor building machine here shortly. Wish I could upload pics from my phone

Sorry I missed the start of your build. Sounds like things are going great so far. I still love my kit like I got it yesterday. :)

Hope you all love it as much as I do.

Looking forward to seeing the completed suits.

262052_4913966893838_387992555_n_zpsdc636c9b.jpg

Finally got my belt sander back. I got everything completely finished tonight. I think I figured out a way to post photos so we'll see if this works.

@ Tray- yea this is my first build but I really like this setup so far. The instruction cd you sent is very helpful.

Edited by Horrendous

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u510/Peter_Despain/IMAG1191_zps993b23ac.jpg

Started painting the helmet tonight. Got everything from trooper bay. I really like the neck desk. You can tell that whoever does the sewing knows what they're doing! I can't wait to wear it with the armor. Also went down to tandy leather and bought 100 snaps. I like where this is going

IMAG1208_zpsce3a1335.jpg

My makeshift soldering station for putting my fans together. I've got several 12v squirrel fans. Not sure if I wanna run one or two fans. Considering 2 mostly to balance the weight.

Not sure what I'm gonna do for padding but I'm gonna need a lot due to my small noggin

Edited by Horrendous