Side shims for EIB and Centurion Question

Rather than putting the extra piece of plastic onto the kidney and bogging it up to make the transition smoother

Use an inner shim (as per cover strip construction)

Then just fill in the seam

It's way smoother I'll try and find a decent pic of my sides and see what Mathias thinks of them

Btw yes skinny guy with side shims it's a silly story

Rather than putting the extra piece of plastic onto the kidney and bogging it up to make the transition smoother

Use an inner shim (as per cover strip construction)

Then just fill in the seam

It's way smoother I'll try and find a decent pic of my sides and see what Mathias thinks of them

Btw yes skinny guy with side shims it's a silly story

I'd definitely like to see this.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

-------------

This pic shows it quite well

There's a bit of a line there, it's invisible in most light

Lucky the flash didn't go off

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021
  • Like 1

On 10/29/2012 at 12:01 PM, Darth Furious said:
------------

This pic shows it quite well

There's a bit of a line there, it's invisible in most light

Lucky the flash didn't go off

So that was done on ABS armor? Did you have a thread showing how that was done? For us bigger RT guys, is that something we would want to do if we might lose some size and be able to take some of that shim off?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

It is ABS

I never did a thread on it

It's pretty simple though, as I said

I'll write a tutorial though anyway

But first I have 3 troop reports to do for this weekend just gone

So not tonight

The shim could be cut down if needed (I should probably take some off my right side, looking at my EIB pics)

It is ABS

So not tonight

The shim could be cut down if needed (I should probably take some off my right side, looking at my EIB pics)

WOW that looks awesome :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley: . I will be eagerly awaiting your how to on this...

ah

Just try to find a piece of other plastic that is as close as possible I guess

My shim was not an exact match

But you can't really tell (especially not if I twirl my arms like this LOL I've watched Nemo too many times)

Using white T-cut makes mismatched pieces eventually match better (as they whiten)

Also having your kit be totally dirty and weathered helps too I guess

• 8 months later...

It is ABS

So not tonight

I am in the process of trying to accommodate my "extra midriff girth" on an RT. Did you ever find the time to get a thread on here demystifying your magic method? I have been looking around but haven't seen much better methods to  shim the sides.

• 6 months later...

I spent the last 45 minutes reading and re-reading this thread on shims (researching....researching).    I have NE armor and still stuck on what's an acceptable shim assembly.    

• 8 months later...

So - 3 pages deep into the topic and I've only seen 2 examples of shimming in photos. 

I don't have a suit that would be approved for full on trooping methinks - but nonetheless, I have a full ANH Sandtrooper suit, and it appears that I am a bit too thick in the middle to pull it off properly. 

For someone that doesn't necessarily have to adhere to strict guidelines - are there any good examples of shimming that's been done that doesn't look quite as janky as the shimming seen here http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/18228-tk-4584-requesting-anh-stunt-eib-status198am/

I liked the look of the riveted shims personally, but I understand that wouldn't fly for 501st approval.  I'm sort of stuck with a set of armor I bought second hand, that I should have inspected better when I 1st got it - as there's a ton of fit and finish work I need to do. One of the most important parts being the shims. Any and all advice would be appreciated - especially anything that includes really good photo references.  

It is ABS

So not tonight

I don't suppose you ever got around to making a tutorial on this shimjob did you? I like the look of it, and would like to try that on my own suit...

• 2 months later...

reading this is quite interesting.. is the info still valid..

butt joint on the kidney section is best.
don't rivet it (at least not to both sides)
and ROTJ doesn't need shims?

I'm planning on CFO (built the lid already) but although I take a 36/38" waist in trousers. I actually measure closer to 43"