Aosen's ATA Build

I maybe wrong but those look like your shin pieces, and the way I understand it, is that Velcro is how they should be closed. No other way to get your feet in. If thats the case then glue one side of the cover strip down with E6000, and use industrial strength velcro on the other side. remember to glue down the side facing out from you. (out )in (in )out. use heat if need be but be very careful so as not to overheat the ABS and deform it. as far as the AB piece im not sure what you mean, are you talking about the return edge on the top? If so that can be trimmed down to help with fit, and your breast plate will cover it anyway, I am guessing minimal return edge on that piece is better. Will someone with far more experiance than I please correct me if im wrong,

It's probably better explained in this tread. http://www.whitearmo...ure#entry145379

Craig225 from Australia's Southern cross Garrison, used this picture to illistrate

TKcalf_zps7c3f0826.jpg

Edited by spector254

I trimmed the top of my ab edge to 5mm and the chest piece I left about 10mm on the bottom edge, some trim off more. I used a bit of heat on the sides of the shins while holding them close to relieve the springing out, the trick while putting them on is to open them and guide them over you ankle, your foot doesn't go through them.

TKcalf_zps7c3f0826.jpg

In the picture above I glued the front velcro to the blue cover strip, this allows those with larger calves to have a bigger cover strip

• 3 weeks later...

Progress is slow as I work for my fathers solar company and there has been a bunch of work lately. I almost finished with the right shin, and the left needs the velcro and strips put on the back. The front is done on both. I did use a heat gun to close the gap in the back on both the shins.

IMG_9186_zps97f5525f.jpg

IMG_9187_zps6f2ce92d.jpg

IMG_9185_zps4f8dfe54.jpg

I'm going to use the heat gun to match up the front of the thighs.

IMG_9188_zps65a282f4.jpg

Snap plates are glued in and the 2 inch straps are made for the upper chest armor. I cut the straps 7 1/2 inches long with 2 inches on both sides, so it's 5 1/2 between the hard armor.

IMG_9191_zpsa907e196.jpg

IMG_9189_zps6829dc72.jpg

I'm getting there, slowly...

Looking good, learn the ways of the heatgun you must LOL, very nice indeed and makes the pieces fit so much better. Just one comment your shoulder straps are they elastic, as they should be hint hint. Keep up the great work you are doing really well :duim:

Looking good, learn the ways of the heatgun you must LOL, very nice indeed and makes the pieces fit so much better. Just one comment your shoulder straps are they elastic, as they should be hint hint. Keep up the great work you are doing really well :duim:

No the straps are just white nylon webbing, on the threads I looked at there was no mention of what they used, so I went with the stuff that doesn't stretch. I'll change it if I have to, but we'll see how it works first.

No the straps are just white nylon webbing, on the threads I looked at there was no mention of what they used, so I went with the stuff that doesn't stretch. I'll change it if I have to, but we'll see how it works first.

The real straps are 2" white elastic.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, long time no post. Work and all that. How do you tell which way is up on the kidney piece? I've been really busy and I'm starting to get back to the armor.

My ATA was the same I just aligned which fitted best to the butt piece and back, it seemed to only like going on one way to match the back.

I don't have notches on my piece, I would have to cut them myself. Looking at it, it bells out more on one edge, so I'm thinking that's the lower edge.

True, the bottom edge of the kidney is longer then the top edge. :)

• 1 month later...

So I've been making very slow but steady progress on closing up the arms and legs. All the seams are done and cover strips are being applied like so: 

IMG_1815_zps2aad450b.jpg

So... None of this is strapped or padded and I'm sure it looks weird since it's all trying to fall down. But. I HAVE ARMOR ON!  :smiley-sw013:  :dancing-trooper: 
IMG_1832_zpse944c0f1.jpg

I need to get a belt soon, so while I wait for that I will keep fitting and strapping. Looks like I might get this done by June 1st after all.

• 5 weeks later...