Shoulder Bell Rotation Issue

Clamps

So the build is "done" the static posed photo time has passed and I am now trying to get out there and troop to raise some money for the kids. I am noticing that my shoulder bells are rotating back leaving an ugly black gap in the front. I have searched but I am not finding any specific answer to how to keep the bells frm rotating back. I have the bell attached forward of centre under the shoulder straps. I have strapping connecting the shoulder to the bicep to hold it up in place. The connection runs from the center/middle of the bell to the center/middle of the bicep

Here is a photo form last weekend that shows what is happening.

UpjFfI2.jpg7AtJUS2.jpg

thanks in advance...

clamps

• Like 1

you can rotate the bicep to bell connection inside so that it keeps the bell rotated forwards.

think of the bicep as a placeholder for your bells. if you rotate the strap on the inside it will keep the bells in position.

if you have the strap centered, then there will be a gap, simply push the bells forward and attach the strap so

that it keeps them pushed forwards.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392
  • Like 1

you can rotate the bicep to bell connection inside so that it keeps the bell rotated forwards.

think of the bicep as a placeholder for your bells. if you rotate the strap on the inside it will keep the bells in position.

Interesting idea! I may have to try this because I have the same problem with one of my biceps.

Hey Chuck! (Cool name,same to you bro! ;) ) I have a small elastic band that is glued under the shoulder straps that snaps on to the shoulder bell underneath the top flat edge of the bell. I believe the snap allows it to rotate with movement but stay in place to prevent the gap issue some troopers run into. Hope this helps you bro! Charlie

Hey Chuck! (Cool name,same to you bro! ;) ) I have a small elastic band that is glued under the shoulder straps that snaps on to the shoulder bell underneath the top flat edge of the bell. I believe the snap allows it to rotate with movement but stay in place to prevent the gap issue some troopers run into. Hope this helps you bro! Charlie

I am trying to picture what you mean.... does the small band then wrap around/under your armpit? Or am I way off base?

No its a small piece that hangs out with a snap on it then the bell snaps down onto it..if you look at my Centurion app go to my chestplate pic and look at the left shoulder strap, you can see it hanging out. There is a snap glued underneath the top edge of my bell.

I use both the thin strap in front (from strapping to strapping, not attached to the bell itself) which sits nicely under my neck seal bib, and the rotated forward "cheat" in which my snap is actually BACK of center. This kind of forces it forward.

I have also considered the V strap... since it's black and technically shouldn't be seen under the bell anyway, you attach the two ends to the bridge canvas and the apex (point) to the shoulder bell. Then it can't move back and forth.

No its a small piece that hangs out with a snap on it then the bell snaps down onto it..if you look at my Centurion app go to my chestplate pic and look at the left shoulder strap, you can see it hanging out. There is a snap glued underneath the top edge of my bell.

Oh, ok.... it connects to your chest plate. Sorry for the confusion, I've had a couple of glasses of wine. I will take a look at your Centurion app pics. (Congrats on that, by the way-- I have a bit more work to do if I want to get there...)

i've had this problem before on my old suit and all i did was just put the snaps closer to the front. Before my snaps were right at my shoulders, but all i did was just put them closer to the chest. simple and a quick fix.

First off

My gaps started where the bells met the shoulder straps.

Although I had the connection elastic, short, they would still pull away.

This was when I used to use elastic as the chest to backplate connection material.

The elastic used to pull out to the sides.

Webbing is a great material.

YkBleLK.jpg

To make webbing an even stronger material, I know double it over, before adding the poppers.

W0klRcX.jpg

I've also found that sewing the folded over material makes the package very strong as shown.

The shoulder bell is now connected to the webbing using a short elastic strap

I've also started to double over the elastic strap, before putting the poppers in to make them stronger to, and to stop the poppers pulling through the elastic.

Bells, biceps and forearms are connected as a single piece. Via elastic straps.

The elastic strap at the bottom of the shoulder bells that wraps round the biceps is not only canon but helps keeps the bells and biceps together.

If you look at BillHags diagram here

5MSb8Mu.jpg

You can see how the positioning of the snap plates and elastic straps work together to stop the bell rotation issue.

Many years of trooping and building experience from Billy has helped develop the original strapping system to a modern system that is both practice to troop with and easy to use.

• Like 1

Crap. So simple. Move the snap plate in the shoulder bell off-center! Doh.

-Eric

That was just the One I was going to say. I had the same Problem with my Shoulder Bells and added I a new Snap inside my shoulder Bell just off-center.

That worked just fine for me, and looks a lot better now! :)

Sweet, lots of responses when I woke up this morning. Thanks everyone, I will have a close read and give one of these suggestions a try for this Saturday's troop and report back.

:jc_doublethumbup: Thank you Troopers!

Good news, I believe.

I removed my white elastic connection strapping and re-made with fresh snaps with better placement. Secondly I put a second snap in the should bell just behind the one in the middle and it seems to have helped a bunch.

3yAvfwk.jpg

I'll be keeping an eye on how it looks in future troops to make sure its really behaving better.

• Like 1

hmmm, that sniper plate snuck in there, wonder what happened to my padding.....if it aint one thing, its another. That's what I love about this, constantly looking for little improvements.

• 3 weeks later...

i've had this problem before on my old suit and all i did was just put the snaps closer to the front. Before my snaps were right at my shoulders, but all i did was just put them closer to the chest. simple and a quick fix.

This worked for me! I just added a snap just forward of my old one, and problem solved! I was really glad to see that my shoulder bell was in the right place during the parade I was just in. Since I am a perfectionist, it really bugged me to see pics of myself with this minor problem. Now I am even more pleased with how my recent armor build turned out.

hmmm, that sniper plate snuck in there, wonder what happened to my padding.....if it aint one thing, its another. That's what I love about this, constantly looking for little improvements.

LOL- I love when we go back and look at our pics and notice little things to improve. Good thing we love this hobby!

• Like 1

My first suit had a big problem with the bells rotating to far back. With my TM suit I decided instead of putting the snap plate in the ridge indention right in the middle, but rather put it just forward of the ridge. Now my shoulders never rotate backwards, it's amazing what a little different placement does.

• Like 1

it's amazing what a little different placement does.

Excellent point! I am so thankful that we have so many troopers who help each other out by giving advice on these little tweaks that can improve our armor.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Yeppers, ANOTHER older thread that has helped out...   AMAZING how , when I decide to just do some research / reading how I find things that can actually help !  Grin...

Thanks...

Dan

TK-NoWay

• Like 1