Smitty's TE2 Helmet

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gloss white paint is done. Used the recommended 3 coats of rustoleum gloss white high performance enamel. Its so shiney! While doing the first coat, a small gnat landed on the dome. I got it off and the 2nd and 3rd coat eliminated any proof that it was ever there. Now its drying safely in the studio. Did I mention that its very shiney :)

Ā 

together.JPG

bigone.JPG

Ā 

I want to peelthe tape off the eyes and frown so bad right now but I know Im not allowed to touch it.

Heres another pic taken without flash and you can see glossyness under normal lighting. Very cool looking pic! This paint is awesome, its glossier now than when it was wet. Mike Harrison for President!!!!

DSC02880.JPG

Heres another pic taken without flash and you can see glossyness under normal lighting. Very cool looking pic! This paint is awesome, its glossier now than when it was wet. Mike Harrison for President!!!!

DSC02880.JPG

Ā 

Smitty,

Ā 

Just one word to described it; AWESOME! :wub:

Ā 

That pic is an inspiration!

Ā 

Peace

Painted the frown and ears gray today used Testors 1138 Grey Enamel. Also put on the stickers and brow trim too. I almost got to put on the tube stripes today but something is wrong. The stickers stuck to the white paper instead of the clear paper so I guess I need to get new tubestripes. Oh and almost forgot, I put in the Green lens film too. Thats stuffs gonna be gone soon anyway. Welders lens for the win!

Ā 

almost%20done.JPG

almostdone2.JPG

DSC02898.JPG

I really dont think they are salvageable. I would be very leary about using them because I tried to make do with them but they arent lined up perfectly like they were anymore. Why take chances. I will try that method on the new ones. I didnt realize what had happened at first but the stickers werent sticking to the helmet and I was like....wait a minute...durrrr!

That sucks, sorry bout your stickers, I hate setbacks like that, especially when you're anxious to see it done and put it on. I would'nt worry too much about the ear caps, it still looks damn good. I think you're better off with a bondo'd set of ear caps than having huge or uneven gaps. I see these TE2's and wonder why MR could'nt get it right, oh yeah, because they suck, haha, jk, but not really. :P

I havent done the screen mesh yet, but its coming, I need to scour the shop and find some good looking screen to use. This morning I put on the edging trim around the opening you stick your head into. I need to find some satin black before I go any further. I'm ready to paint the vocoder and stuff but all I can find is gloss black and flat black. I need to check out a hobby shop I guess.

I havent done the screen mesh yet, but its coming, I need to scour the shop and find some good looking screen to use. This morning I put on the edging trim around the opening you stick your head into. I need to find some satin black before I go any further. I'm ready to paint the vocoder and stuff but all I can find is gloss black and flat black. I need to check out a hobby shop I guess.

i am using gloss black from testor you can find it at hobby lobby, they also have paint thinner an it comes right off, test it on a spare part, it didnt hurt my abs but you never know. Also i went into lowes, and asked for screen door mesh and i got a couple hundred feet for like $10......awesome

I have alot of mesh screen lying around. I'll take a pic of it later.

Ā 

Edit:

Ā 

Here's the mesh screen that I have. I will gladly send to whomever might need some for $3.00 (includeds paypal fees & shipping). It will be a strip of 6" H x 10" L.

Ā 

DSCN8315.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Just PM me for paypal info if interested. I can also sell custom sizes if needed.

Ok I didnt mention it earlier...I was a little steamed at the time. When putting the neck seal in today I cracked the bondo on the ears. I was afraid it would happen, and it did. However, it does not look bad. At first I was like OMG how do I fix this. I then decided it still looked better than having gaps. For some reason ear gaps bug the crap out of me. So heres a picture of the 2 cracks. In the first one you can see a clear reflection of me taking the picture in the bottom right hand corner. Yeah baby its that good. I have considered doing the repair with gloss white caulk (I work in a caulk factory). Put on a miniscule amount, rub it into the cracks and wipe the spots off with a wet finger. Then I'll wipe the areas around the spots off with a damp rag. I will have gloss white in the cracks and none on the helmets surface. I think it will be an excellent repair. I will worry about this later though because I need to wait at least a week for the paint to fully cure before I introduce it to any new chemicals.

Ā 

DSC02930.JPG

DSC02932.JPG

Wow 24 hours later and no "oh dang smitty that sucks we feel your loss, have some apple pie."

Ā 

Haha!

Oh man-- I'm sorry, yo! That's some cold-blooded shiz....

Ā 

MAN-- THAT SUCKS, SMITTY!

But don't worry, my brutha, for here is a delicious piece of apple pie.

Sit down. Take a load off.

Pie's gonna make everything alright.

You tell Mr. Pie all about it... :lol:

OK I went ahead and fixed the cracks with my caulk fix. I had a tube of Pure white tub and tile polyseamseal laying around. So I took a finger and rubbed it into the cracks. Then I squeegeed it off with a wet finger and cleaned up around the cracks with a damp cloth and heres what they look like. I'm happy with that.

Ā 

DSC02945.JPG

Ā 

DSC02947.JPG

Ā 

It just goes to show the power of pie.