RT-MOD vs ATA Belt

For those that do not know... the RT-MOD belt has built in fake rivet covers molded into it.

There was a time when I had my plastic TK belt velcro'd onto the canvas belt. I had intended to glue it on someday but after my first real troop earlier this year the belt popped off. Thankfully there was a Sith Cheerleader standing there to pick it up off the ground for me. I spent the rest of the troop with a hand on the belt.

That night I had more trooping to do... and I was away from home so I borrowed a rivet gun and did something I regret. I covered the rivets with some AM rivet covers that the rivet gun owner had laying around. It worked fine enough after pouring hot glue into the rivet cover. All fine until I lost one of the AM rivet covers. I wouldn't care so much but the end fake rivet covers are in the wrong place entirely. Too far outboard.

So... before traveling to Oahu next weekend I ordered a new belt from ATA (actually two... one for a TD someday.)

Here are some photos of the two belts. I'm not sure the camera captures it but there is a slight color difference. ATA is a little more on the bone or creamy side of things. RT's is way more white, but not as wide as ATA's.

-----------

Now... to trim some rivet covers and remove the RT belt... which me luck.

Aloha,

-Eric

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Okay so for the people like me still learning...this sounds like a good thing? The rivet covers are molded on to what end? To provide a better hidden rivet look? I'm asking to prepare for when I get my kit, see if there is another step to prepare for. :mellow:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Ah so. Right.

The plastic belts were riveted onto the canvas belt. To cover the rivet head the costume makers fashioned these little button-esque covers.

I have more examples but this is the first one I found:

-----------

See the buttony thing all the way at the end of Han's belt? That's what I'm talking about.

For reasons only known to Rob (who isn't taking any more orders these days btw) he molded the rivet covers onto his belt. Not only did he do that but he did it in the wrong location for the size/scale of the belt.

I was dumb and riveted right into the fake rivet covers for the sake of 2-3 days of trooping away from home.

What you should do (and yes I'm shoulding all over you) is use snaps.

Glue a couple snap plates on the back side of your RT-MOD belt and then hammer a few snaps in the canvas belt and voila... your belt is attached to your... belt.

Me? I'm replacing it with a more screen accurate belt because I already f'd up my RT-MOD belt... which would have been fine in the first place.

Aloha,

-Eric

For the end of the RT MOD belt I would cut out the bumps, shave about 3 inches off the ends to give it a more screen accurate length then reglue the covers next to the last box on the belt ends. This way you will only need one snap in the middle to be glued where you can't cut that one out.

On 10/14/2012 at 3:38 PM, Darth Aloha said:

The plastic belts were riveted onto the canvas belt. To cover the rivet head the costume makers fashioned these little button-esque covers.

I have more examples but this is the first one I found:

-------------

For reasons only known to Rob (who isn't taking any more orders these days btw) he molded the rivet covers onto his belt. Not only did he do that but he did it in the wrong location for the size/scale of the belt.

1) Is there a difference between the Hero belt and Stunt belt maybe?

2) The guy must be backed up through next summer. Lol

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

No difference in Hero and Stunt belts, except that the holster is attached with four rivets, not just two.

Nice comparison by the way, Eric.

A properly assembled belt looks really nice I think :-)

So Eric, I am expecting my RT-Mod armor within the next few months and been following your build and posts religiously to learn. It will be my first build, so I greatly appreciate all that you've contributed here. Besides, what I should do and what you suggest we should be doing to attach the belt correctly to the canvas, is there anything else that could be done to make it more accurate?

I want to be as screen accurate as I can, but I don't have the body type for the other kits produced. Being 6' 2" myself it seemed to make sense to go with Rob's kit compared to all other's out there.

I want to be as screen accurate as I can, but I don't have the body type for the other kits produced. Being 6' 2" myself it seemed to make sense to go with Rob's kit compared to all other's out there.

At 6'2" you can still fit nicely inside other kits as well.

So Eric, I am expecting my RT-Mod armor within the next few months and been following your build and posts religiously to learn. It will be my first build, so I greatly appreciate all that you've contributed here. Besides, what I should do and what you suggest we should be doing to attach the belt correctly to the canvas, is there anything else that could be done to make it more accurate?

You should glue snap plates to the back of the belt and then put snaps in the canvas. That way you don't have to mess with the fake rivet covers.

Once you troop a few times and make sure you're dialed in, then you can contemplate maybe cutting off the ends of the plastic belt and using a more traditional rivet and rivet cover method. But please don't do something that drastic until you at least wear your armor a couple times and also have the FISD folks give you suggestions based on your photos.

At 6'2" you can still fit nicely inside other kits as well.

Some of us are a little too long in the torso to fit well into other armor.... or too girthy... I refuse to shim my armor.

-Eric

Truth be known I took the measurements from the Don Post Stormtrooper way, waaay back when I first started. It seemed to be doing the trick but I see now that I must up the belt game :)

(stands up on podium, leans towrds the mic) "Henceforth a new, more accurate belt, with seperate rivet covers, canvas strapping and refined Thermal Detonator, will NOW BE THE STANDARD!!! (applause here. Presidential wave. leave podium)

Truth be known I took the measurements from the Don Post Stormtrooper way, waaay back when I first started. It seemed to be doing the trick but I see now that I must up the belt game :)

(stands up on podium, leans towrds the mic) "Henceforth a new, more accurate belt, with seperate rivet covers, canvas strapping and refined Thermal Detonator, will NOW BE THE STANDARD!!! (applause here. Presidential wave. leave podium)

Wooo!

If I may ask, could you please add the swoop to the left shoulder bell as well? :)

Woohoo! Do you sell individual pieces of your kits like that? I'm sure I would want one when you finalize the product.

I love that Rob is so attentive to the feedback he receives. I hope he's able to implement all these changes by the time my armor order can be placed (waiting list for me now) So, yet another reason why I think his armor would be a great fit for me. Lot's of choices out there for everybody.

I didn't want to have to shim my armor either Eric, and it seemed like trimming would be easier overall for the build. I won't do anything drastic with the belt, but if Rob makes the changes I won't have to worry much and can rivet the "traditional". For now I'll plan on snap plates and snaps on the belt as you suggested. I appreciate the advice.

I'm long and lanky up top and a bit beefier from the torso down. I certainly hope my armor doesn't make my an impolite person look fat, probably just my fat an impolite person that's the problem. ;)

Lee