Safety concerns....

John

In light of the recent tragedy that took place here in Colorado Springs, CO yesterday...and after attending the Elk's kids party yesterday I got to thinking about an issue that I feel really should be discussed.

Ironically, at about the exact time the hostage situation/shootings were occuring at the New Life Church, myself and other individuals were arriving at the Elks Lodge in preparation for the event.

Unbeknownst to myself and another member that this crime was being carried out, we had headed to the event with (2) very large and incredibly realistic stage prop firearms, which quite literally took up the entire back seat of our vehicle...

It was to a point that myself and this other member even commented that should we get pulled over, and the officer involved see those "props"...we would have certainly been pulled out of the vehicle...probably with a semi-automatic wedged in our ears...until they could clear the scene...not knowing that these firearms were, in fact, not actual firing weapons. Especially, since.... I am positive that all of the local law enforcement agencies were already being notified of the events taking place at the New Life Church.

Once we arrived at the Elks Lodge, we were responsible enough to advise several individuals that we were, in fact, going to be carrying in very realistic and large non-working stage props, however with the size of the (2) props involved it was not possible to fully conceal them and they had to have been seen by other individuals not in the knowing.

Fortunately, there were no issues and the event was successful.

I think this is a HOT topic that should be taken very serious.

As a former law enforcement officer myself...I know how "sensitive" traffic stops can be...and two large firearms

(chain guns/sniper rifles) openly displayed in the back seat of a vehicle can lead to some serious, if not life-threatening, consequences for all parties involved...whether these firearms are real or not.

Granted...these particular props are incredibly awesome... but WE know that they are fake, whereas...MOST others have no idea that they are or not.

I submit that we do not put ourselves into these potentially deadly sitautions in the future...

I also suggest that anyone transporting these items...consider creating some kind of a storage/transportation unit for them.

....Just a thought.

Any opinions.....

Any opinions.....

Even before these tragic events I played it safe.

I always have my DC-15 (Clone blaster carbine) wrapped in a blanket or stored away (out of sight). It does get uncovered until I am in the changing area.

There was a story on the 501st forums about a member who was going to his first troop and was arrested because someone thought his E-11 was a bomb! I think this was in Europe though...

Someone said they thought he was in a cult too becuase of the strange symbols on his shirt (he had a shirt with Imperial cogs on it)....

You just never know...

There was a story on the 501st forums about a member who was going to his first troop and was arrested because someone thought his E-11 was a bomb! I think this was in Europe though...

Someone said they thought he was in a cult too becuase of the strange symbols on his shirt (he had a shirt with Imperial cogs on it)....

You just never know...

That was in Australia ealier this year...

My opinion is that the current administration is trying to control the populace by fear. I think this is a symptom of over-reaction, and would never have occurred before 9/11.

I will resist as best I can the culture of fear that is pervading our country, as I don't think what's going on now fits the culture of liberty I grew up with in this country.

Well, while not being from the US, there's been news reports around for a considerable time about people getting arrested or even shot because of toy weapons wielded openly. I can appreciate that LEOs hate replicas and realistic toy guns - it's their necks on the line out there.

Over here in Sweden, transporting a firearm inside the car (in the back seat or so) is a felony. Rifles, for instance, must be kept in the trunk, separated from bolt and ammo. A good idea when transporting prop replicas as well...

Actually, some guy at a firing range nearly called the cops on me once - and now we're talking real firearms. He thought my 12-gauge autoloader (say that with a Schwarzenegger accent and you know which gun I mean) was am assault rifle, and jumped at it. After some explanation (such as - why would I shoot an assault rifle on a skeet range?) and showing the bore of the shotgun, he calmed down considerably... :rolleyes:

Let's be careful out there... ;)

My opinion is that the current administration is trying to control the populace by fear. I think this is a symptom of over-reaction, and would never have occurred before 9/11.

I will resist as best I can the culture of fear that is pervading our country, as I don't think what's going on now fits the culture of liberty I grew up with in this country.

Yep, and the UK gov is using the same excuses to do the same thing. :angry:

Being in Japan, I dont carry wepons that much. I dont know the laws, and dont push it to far. Although Japan sells VERY realistic Airsoft to the masses, there are laws against Forigners and airsoft purchace. So i play it safe and leave the guns at home. Only on planned troops and cleared events do I carry a blaster.

Sometimes I think about the event as well... Christmas parties should be a blasterless event... Hospital visits shoud be a blasterless event. Parades, Blast away.

I think common sence is a key factor in the whole gun issue. If it dont feel right, it aint!

In the early 80's members of the Jedi Knights of Orange County had it's annual "Water Wars" at a park in Anaheim, CA.

Members were encouraged to attend in costume - a few had some really nice looking blasters.

Several members were in the final round of a awesome capture the flag game when the police showed up because of a call reporting a group of "crazies with guns" overrunning the park.

The president of the JKOC was able to defuse the situation.

Some officers were really impressed with the home made blasters but suggested we paint our weapons green. :)

In light of the recent tragedy that took place here in Colorado Springs, CO yesterday...and after attending the Elk's kids party yesterday I got to thinking about an issue that I feel really should be discussed.

Seeing as how a lady with a concealed weapon took that jokers head off, it's too bad that someone at the church wasn't packin' too.

It is times like this that we should take up arms, not give them up.

He was shot by a security officer, and finished himself off with a bullet to the head. I can hardly see how more people carrying guns solves problems like this.

I really tried to resist replying to that one, Graeme.

I tend to agree with you.

I'm from Alberta, so maybe it's a Canadian thing.

I'm a HUGE proponent of individual rights, but the statistics don't lie. More guns = more shootings.

Not saying' it's right, not sayin' it's wrong. Just saying it's so.

I'm always open to hear people's views on the morality and ethics of gun ownership, but the raw numbers are pretty tough to dispute.

All that aside-- I think we should all be careful when toting around realistic weapon-props.

I'd hate to see any of us get hurt.

Although I now live in Japan, where guns are for cops, I still Support the NRA.

Guns will be easy to get for all time in America. We are a very gun nation. Its not going to change. Pros and cons will always be there. I believe in owning guns. Guns dont kill people. People kill people. Look to the media, who love a killing, and then bash a group of costumers during the Rose parade... We have to change as a nation. We are Violant.

Japanese TV dosent have all the killing. There is no CSI here. Not that I am for censorship (another touchy issue) I just dont agree with the current state of the union. Name two feel good shows in the last three years. Being removed from it made me look at it diffrent. Parents need to be Parents, and well, we need to make better desisions.

Guns arent the problem. We are. Like I said before in the above post, Common sence.

Guns have a place. So do gun owners. I am military. we need them. Right now some one is protecting us with a gun. I know a few in a desert cami doing that for some people back home that dont care anymore. Not that you all dont care, actually this group is very pro military... I love you all.

We as troopers represent a war machine portrayed in a movie. We are trooping to help kids. Remember the slogan? Bad guys doing Good?

I havent seen the news and had to read up on current events in the states. This is a big issue right now. bummer.

Educate, and train. Thats the way out of the hole. If everbody could come together and agree... Ahh... thats the problem.

*steps off of soap box*

Although I now live in Japan, where guns are for cops, I still Support the NRA.

Guns will be easy to get for all time in America. We are a very gun nation. Its not going to change. Pros and cons will always be there. I believe in owning guns. Guns dont kill people. People kill people. Look to the media, who love a killing, and then bash a group of costumers during the Rose parade... We have to change as a nation. We are Violant.

Japanese TV dosent have all the killing. There is no CSI here. Not that I am for censorship (another touchy issue) I just dont agree with the current state of the union. Name two feel good shows in the last three years. Being removed from it made me look at it diffrent. Parents need to be Parents, and well, we need to make better desisions.

Guns arent the problem. We are. Like I said before in the above post, Common sence.

Guns have a place. So do gun owners. I am military. we need them. Right now some one is protecting us with a gun. I know a few in a desert cami doing that for some people back home that dont care anymore. Not that you all dont care, actually this group is very pro military... I love you all.

We as troopers represent a war machine portrayed in a movie. We are trooping to help kids. Remember the slogan? Bad guys doing Good?

I havent seen the news and had to read up on current events in the states. This is a big issue right now. bummer.

Educate, and train. Thats the way out of the hole. If everbody could come together and agree... Ahh... thats the problem.

*steps off of soap box*

here here! brother :salute::trooper:

Yep, and the UK gov is using the same excuses to do the same thing. :angry:

They certainly are! Control by fear. Smoke and mirrors. Keeps the mind of the populace on what an utter cods they're making of running the country and also allows them to slip in all sorts of Big Brother measures to degrade our liberties yet further. Be gone, Brown.

I used to be very active in the airsoft enviroment, here in Norway. And we ALWAYS kept our weapons out of sight, until we started gaming.

It's easy, just use common sense when going to trooping events... Since the real blasters were customized real life weapons, the props we use will naturally look somewhat real as well.

And a traffic cop pulling over a car with (in worst case) maybe 3-4 Sterling look-alikes in the backseat...? I know I'd be very nervous if I was that cop!

He was shot by a security officer

Then our local news report had their information wrong.

Long live the NRA.

I keep a rifle in the window of my pickup truck but you can't quite see it for the chewing tobacco stains on the glass. When guns are outlawed, then I guess I'll just be an outlaw. My whole family goes to the shooting range at least once a week. A steady aim is the only gun control we need. Where we live it takes about an hour for the local cops to respond, if at all.

I know this is all about prop guns and all, but the fear we have from carrying props stems from the real world polotics and for many, the fear of losing the right to own guns and protect themselves.

The only time I've ever heard of someone getting hurt over a prop gun was for pointing it at the wrong person.

The only time I've ever heard of someone getting hurt over a prop gun was for pointing it at the wrong person.

When I get back...(maybe...) My AR-15 is my crown jewel next to me Desert Eagle 50.

Hang in you all, I believe in America. I believe it wil get better. We all have to believe! Thats why I serve.

I hope for leaders with a sence of reality and a finger on the pulse of the red blooded worker. All nations need that!

Troop on. Troop on.

Back in the 80's I was on the ROTC rifle team. Once we had to transport our rifles and we didn't have cases. The solution? We just wore them on our backs. There's no law saying yo can't walk around with a firearm, but there is that you can't walk around with a concealed firearm. And you know what? No one ever gave us a second look. And we were in civvies.

I believe that America has been hyper-sensitized about guns in the past 20 years, and the police have been overly hyped up on this as well. I don't blame the police, I blame the culture that's gotten so reactive that they've forced the LEO's to be jacked up on any little thing.

Wait 'till you have kids. You'll be driven into fear yourself by the over protective mothering community. Jeesh - they even have special classes for grandparents now on how to deal with their grandkids, as if they treated them how we were raised they'd be in jail. How does that make sense?

Here is a thought. If you wrap a blaster or any firearm up in a blanket or some other such way it is a concealed weapon. Around here, that will get you in more trouble then just having it laying on the back seat.

I can't speak for overseas, but here in the U.S.A. it seems numbers and statistics can be manipulated to suit any purpose you want them too. So to me, they pretty much are meaningless.

Nathan brings up an excellent point. Here is a great example:

There were a few moms talking in one of my daughter's activities. They were discussing Christmas presents and what not, Halo 3 and other assorted "shooter" games were openly mentioned as being gifts, DVD's and toys being purchased were "shooting" and "battle" related. And of course, there have been conversations over time about such shows as CSI, Law and Order, 24, and Prison Break.

When some one asked about the recent shootings, (and let's not forget we are still a bit moody about Virgina Tech) the quick answers were ban all the guns, people are so violent and crazy, and so on.

My children, while are all about having fun and playing "SG-1, shoot the replicators" and other imagination games, they have also seen and heard first hand what my firearms actually do. Milk jugs of water and stuff are very impressive for that. My oldest has not yet been hunting with me but has been up close and personal with Bambi when we have come back home. Yet, they have friends that their only experience is shooting and getting shot in a video game. Reality is lost to them.

Oh, and for what it is worth, until I am able to get a case long enough for my Hyper-Firm MG-42, it sits openly in the back seat. I have enough common sense that if I get pulled over, I will put the car in park, take out the keys, put both hands out the window with the keys.

Back in the 80's I was on the ROTC rifle team. Once we had to transport our rifles and we didn't have cases. The solution? We just wore them on our backs. There's no law saying yo can't walk around with a firearm, but there is that you can't walk around with a concealed firearm. And you know what? No one ever gave us a second look. And we were in civvies.

I believe that America has been hyper-sensitized about guns in the past 20 years, and the police have been overly hyped up on this as well. I don't blame the police, I blame the culture that's gotten so reactive that they've forced the LEO's to be jacked up on any little thing.

Wait 'till you have kids. You'll be driven into fear yourself by the over protective mothering community. Jeesh - they even have special classes for grandparents now on how to deal with their grandkids, as if they treated them how we were raised they'd be in jail. How does that make sense?

Amen!

this discussion is very interesting as it shows how different "the world" handles weapons *lol*

over here you need a license to carry and own weapons that is not easy to get. you either have to be police/military or licensed hunter and then you can apply for a weaponslicense (german word is Waffenschein). It is only granted for 3 years then you have to apply again. it is not that easy to get that license, I personally only know 1 person who got that license.

When I go to events where I want to carry my blaster then it is in the box or in a closed backpack. Usually we check with the organiser if we can carry the blasters openly or if we need to keep them holstered :) in costume it is pretty obvious that it is not a "real" weapon.

Airsofts have been forbidden until a couple of years ago. Now it is allowed to sell them if they have more than 0,5 and less than 7,5 Joule and if the buyer is older than 18. it is allowed to own and transport them but not if they are ready to shoot and if you are in public. only semi-automatics are allowed... quite complicated *lol*

I for my part am happy that not everyone can buy a weapon! If I knew that every nerd can buy a weapon in a store... *help*

For the record, I do carry my E-11 in my bin, and as a garrison we always check whether the event will be blaster-friendly or not. But for my BFG I carry it openly and just toss it in the back of the mini-van.

To be clear I'm not advocating flaunting weapons openly or pushing the boundary of common sense, but do feel it's appropriate and necessary to point out where our society has gotten hypersensitized.

I have two, a boy and a girl. The girl is ADHD and is sometimes difficult to deal with because of her "hyperness". (Not that I love her ANY less! :) )

I agree with the sad situation in America as to what is and what is not allowed as discipline. If I spank either of my kids in a public place, the Social Service cops are probably going to be knocking down my door that same day! How the heck are we supposed to maintain order, when we are afraid of getting our kids taken away by the government for simply trying to teach them right from wrong? :wacko: Doesn't seem to me that I turned out too badly, and my dad was a VERY strict disciplinarian.

Anyways, on the guns issue, I agree that caution is the best policy. There isn't anything we can do about past happenings. The general public has been scared to death by the media and even big retailers, like Wal-Mart, have pulled any toy guns, except in rare occasions, from shelves. Face it folks, guns are not "going away", and they are certainly not going to amend the Constitution to do away with firearms ownership. We must simply keep in mind that there is a heightened sense of awareness on firearms and when we troop, we must observe courtesy to folks by making sure that they know that ours are purely props.

There are two separate threads going on here:

One is that we need to be aware of the paranoia that exists regarding guns and to not do something stupid with our toys. I think we are all in fairly close agreement here.

The other is regarding the right to bear arms... real guns... For those not paying attention, there is a case being reviewed by the US Supreme Court right now that is weighing the interpretation of what that right really means... whether it is the states' need to maintain a militia (now called the National Guard) or a private individuals right to own and carry a weapon. It is not clear where this will end up, since it is only 9 individuals who will make this interpretation.