Around the Detachment

Tip of the Month

Katie's Story

Deathtrooper Season

TK Jack-o-lantern Stencils

Trooper of the Month

Troop of the Month

Greetings My Fellow Troopers,

I first want to truly thank everyone, from the bottom of my heart, for your support and your vote.

I would like to thank you for believing in and allowing the staff and myself to continue on with the projects that we had planned for this year to help make the FISD better.

I am honored to accept the office of Detachment Leader of the 1st Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment.

Last Saturday when the voting polls were closed and the results were posted, a good friend of mine told me that it was a landslide and that I should do some chest thumping and a victory dance. I told my good friend, that is not me. This not a victory for me, but rather a victory for the whitearmor.net and the TK community. I am but a humble servant and am happy to continue serving the TK community. The members of the FISD are not merely members to me, but you are my brothers and sisters and I always look out for and do the best I can for my family.

I look forward to serving all of the members of the FISD and being the best Detachment Leader I can be.

I do have visions and plans that the staff and I will be working to implement to create a better forum, with better information, for those TK enthusiast that are striving to either build their first Stormtrooper costume or seeking ways to better or upgrade their Stormtrooper costume.

Staff Changes:

At this time, I would like to announce the appointment of the new Executive Officer of the 1st Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment. This person has years of Legion and costuming experience, with first hand knowledge of the CRL's and is well versed in the Legion Charter. He has worked in front of and behind the scenes for years within the 501st. In my opinion, he is going to bring a lot to the staff and to our community. It give me great pleasure to welcome Brian Anderson TK7602 (Stormtrooperguy) as the new Executive Officer of the 1st Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment. Please give Brian a warm welcome to his new position.

Due to "real life" obligations, Luis Diaz, TK7164 (bobojuice) has asked to step down from the Provost Marshall position. Luis has done a great job and we wish him the very best and ask that he not be a stranger on the boards.

At this time, I would like to announce the appointment of the new Provost Marshall, Mark Ryner, TK4584 (captsafe66). Mark has experience as being his Garrison's COG and he is already been an Imperial Sentry. I feel very confident that he will do a great job in the position of Provost Marshall. Lets all give Mark a warm welcome to his new position

We have also added a few new members to the Imperial Propaganda Machine (extended staff). They are: Jennifer Riddle TK-9496 (jnnfr72),

Andrea Loar TK-6093 (Andrea11), and Derek A Dougherty, TK27555 (Dougherty.D). All three of these people have stepped up to become one of the extended staff to help to make the FISD a better place for the community, so let's give it up for Jenny, Andrea, and Derek.

Detachment Polls

I wanted to remind everyone that the voting/polling for the proposed amendments to the Centurion requirements are now open. Voting remains open for 2 weeks (until the 18th) . Please do not forget to be a part of this. Just remember, your vote counts!!

Here are the list of polls:

New Numbers, New TKs

Moving on, I would like to bring up that we, the Legion, have run out of 4 digit ID numbers. It was formerly announced at C6, during the 501st 15th Anniversary Imperial dinner, that we were now into the 5 digit numbers for the ID's. A few weeks ago, I was helping a recruit for my Garrison complete his application for the 501st. He pulled out a list of all the 5 digit numbers that he was pondering over and trying to choose which one he wanted to be his permament 501st ID. I kind of laughed and said I wish I had all these options when I was applying. It was truly slim pickings to try and find some number that I felt connected to, now just look at all of these fresh, new numbers. I wanted to show all of you our newest TK brothers,and sisters with their 5 digit ID's:

TK10000 Aleksandra DÄ…bkowska-----..------ Polish Garrison

TK10002 Gordon McGuire------------..--------United Kingdom Garrison

TK10004 David B Gray----------------.---------Mountain Garrison

TK10006 Andrew J Leeson-----------..-..------United Kingdom Garrison

TK10007 Paulo Siqueira----------------------- Brazilian Division Garrison

TK10011 Daryl Kling-----------------.---..-------Dune Sea Garrison

TK10020 Jack Smith-------------------------..---Brazilian Division Garrison

TK10021 Brent Parsons------------------.------Golden Gate Garrison

TK10023 Rob Tomlin---------------------.-------Star Garrison

TK11011 Gonzalo Ortega--------------.--------Spanish Garrison

TK10100 Rafal M Kraska---------------.--------Polish Garrison

TK11285 Tyler Timpany------------------.------Canadian Garrison

TK12421 Kevin M Feber------------------------Great Lakes Garrison

TK11308 Mariano Santafosta------------------Spanish Garrison

TK19334 Alex R Bevan---------------------.----United Kingdom Garrison

TK11990 William L Rasco-----------------------Garrison Carida

TK25267 Charles B Bowes---------------------Canadian Garrison

TK26354 Steven J Stubbs----------------------Southern California Garrison

TK26800 Julio Rey de Perea Campos-----...Spanish Garrison

TK27555 Derek A Dougherty------------------Southern California Garrison

TK32380 James P Brace-----------.------------Bloodfin Garrison

TK42111 John B Cambra--------.--------------Golden Gate Garrison

TK42166 Jason Winiata-----------.-------------Outpost 42 Garrison

TK42170 Brian Jepson--------------------------Star Garrison

TK45540 Sophie E Bowman-------------------Terror Australis Garrison

TK49438 Valere Fourbisseu-------------------FanWars Garrison

TK50100 Garry P Shing------------------------Terror Australis Garrison

TK50101 Dennis Dombrowski---------..-------German Garrison

TK50148 Damian Stefański-------------.-------Polish Garrison

TK50166 Andrew T Rochelle-----------.-------Carolina Garrison

TK54321 Nicky Mezzina----------------.----.----Nordic Garrison

TK64830 Mortier Bernard---------------.-------FanWars Garrison

TK72812 Andrew C Donaldson---------.------Star Garrison

TK74745 Brandon Cockrell---------------.-----Rancor Raiders Garrison

TK90005 Francisco Izaguirre------------.------Spanish Garrison

TK90475 Douglas Koverman----------.--------Ohio Garrison

TK92901 William C Adamson------------.------Garrison Tyranus

TK98530 Alejandro Carbonell Olivares---.---Spanish Garrison

Katie's Story

Last but not least, for those that are following the Katie Goldman story about her wanting to become a TK because of the 501st (more about this in an article in this Newsletter), I would like to thank the members of the Midwest Garrison, Brian C Troyan TK8968 (Fleetfang), Javier Esqueda TK265 (TK265), Steve W Gaza TK4034 (gazmosis), and Adriane Bean TK 4541 (Beans) for stepping up and offering to build the TK suit for Katie. I would also like to thank, from the bottom of my heart, all the FISD members that donated to the Katie Goldman Fund and also those who have donated some of the accessory items that Katie will need with her Stormtrooper. I have given each and everyone of you a "Supporter Ribbon" for your efforts and will be making a thread, with a formal list of donors, so that all can see what a great group of people, with big and giving hearts, that we have in the FISD community.

(More on that below.)

Closing

Also congratulations to Javier and his wife for their newest edition to the Esqueda family. They now have a son, Ben, who is now about a week old!!!! Congratulations you two on your little clone!!!

We all know the end of this month has one of the biggest costuming days of the year. I wish you all a very safe and happy Halloween. By the way, just remember to save me some candy!!

With Unquestioned Loyalty,

Tom Gardner

TK5940 "RogueTrooper"

Detachment Leader

Greetings, Earth-deployed troopers. We weathered an emergency election this month with two great candidates. Congratulations to Tom Gardner, former XO, for being elected DL of FISD, and our respects to Matt Sparling, who made a good run. Tom will see us through to the main elections in February. Just over 200 voters cast their vote in this election. Thank you all for your participation!

Just to give you a heads up for future elections in all detachments, you will need to be officially affiliated with your detachment (in this case, FISD) to vote at the detachment level. You do this by editing your Detachment affiliation in your profile... in the Membership DB section of the 501st forums. Be prepared!

September Centurion Awards: 3 (total 57)

September Expert Infantry Awards: 11 (total 261)

September Fire Team Tally: 1 new (9 total)

Newest Fire Teams: Tantive IV Boarding Party, Toronto

September Attache Tally: 2 new, 2 revived

Newest Attaches: TK6375 (Neil, Outpost 42 Garrison), thechosenhitman (Matt, Bloodfin Garrison); Returning: pandatrooper (Terry, Badlands Garrison), naatsirhc (Christaan, Southern California Garrison/Inland Empire Squad)

What's an Attache? Someone in your garrison who represents FISD with the friendly "Troopers Helping Troopers" spirit!

TWO GREAT NEW RESOURCES!

New members in September: 173

Active members in forums: 470

Reported Field Exercises: 29 !

Field Exercises: Check here for the full list!

This month saw reported field training exercises nearly double from last month. Thanks for posting, and keep 'em coming. When the rest of us can't troop, we live vicariously through you. Even if you do nothing else on the forums, share your troops!

Number of Twitter Followers as of 9/30: 462

Number of Facebook Followers as of 9/30: 1421

Our Facebook page has been getting more active, with Tips of the Week, news, jokes, and other questions and issues. I'd like to see more upgrade and new build photos and questions there, and more troopers helping troopers. If you're already a friend, thanks!

Ingrid Moon

TK-6818 “LadyInWhiteâ€

Public Relations Officer

Painting with Color

If you're going to upgrade your bucket, you might as well upgrade your ab buttons as well. For a very screen accurate look, or just for fun, you can paint your details rather than use decals. Here's your guide to getting the paint colors just right.

Vocoder, ear stripes/outline:

#21 Humbrol Black

#1147 Model Master Gloss Black

Ab buttons, tube stripes:

#14 Humbrol French Blue

#2715 Model Master French Blue

Ab buttons alternative (darker):

#4867 Model Master Blue Angel Blue

Buttons, teeth, ears:

#5 Humbrol Dark Admiral Grey

#1138 Testors Gray

Some helpful threads:

• Pandatrooper's helmet tutorial is also an excellent resource for trimming, building, and painting your new bucket (or fixing an older one).
  • Matt black posted a guide to get hand painted helmet details using decals as a guide.
  • Daetrin's thread on creating a paint mask for curves like the vocoder and ab buttons is also an oldie but goodie.

As always, if you have questions or need more help, visit the Armory for answers galore!

Ingrid Moon

TK-6818 “LadyInWhiteâ€

Public Relations Officer

The Detachment Comes Together for a Cause

FISD, have you seen the thread for Katie Goldman in the Announcements section? This is a great cause where you can make a difference and show your community spirit for a young girl.

Recently, our DL was contacted by Dean Plantamura who works in the Legion PR staff, and he said the following:

“Katie Goldman, the young fan from Chicago that was bullied about being a girl who liked Star Wars. The 501st gave her so much support as a young girl fan, that Katie has decided to suit up as a Stormtrooper this year and her mom (author/blogger Carrie Goldman) has reached out to us for help! Of course, we want her to have only the best armor.â€

From RougeTrooper, Tom Gardner:

"Out of all the other Star Wars characters, It made me feel very proud to know that Katie wants to be a Stormtrooper. I want to make sure that Katie gets the best armor that she can. I told Dean that a good set of armor, even a kids kit, is not cheap."

Tom has undertaken the task of finding good quality kid-sized armor for Katie, and is taking donations in return for some community perks.

Special thanks go to the Midwest Garrison. They have backed Katie and her mother from the start, and will continue to see this project through to the end and beyond. I’ve seen a tremendous amount of kindness from the FISD for Katie. All of the Troopers and 501st members who have encouraging comments, made donations, and offered their skills and talents to our new recruit are receiving as much joy in the giving as Katie is in the receiving. Katie has offers of a modified fan kit from Evilboy ~ Jonathan Wolk, kids sized boots from Adriana Bean ~ TK 4541, hand guards from our dearest Queen Karen ~ Sonnenschein, a custom sized canvas belt from Robert ~ TKittell, and a custom sized neck seal from Kathy ~ CiderQueen. Last but certainly not least, the MIDWEST GARRISON members including: Javier ~ TK265, Fleetfang ~ Brian, Adriane ~ TK 4541, Steve ~ TK4034, to name just a few, have offered armor assembly and the strapping system.

Katie’s journey may have started with struggles and strife, but through her perseverance and with an outpouring from the 501st, she has transformed into an ambassador for all kids who feel picked on and bullied. Katie donates the toys and clothes she receives, and promotes kindness and tolerance while making friends with other kids like her. I was not surprised that she picked the Stormtrooper as her Star Wars identity. While Stormtrooper armor can appear intimidating, one soon finds out that Stormtroopers are a bunch of friendly, outgoing men and women who love giving back to the community. Although the Midwest Garrison has the honor of assembling Katie’s armor, we can all participate in showing this youngster what it means to be a Trooper. In my opinion, we’re the most awesome group of fun, giving, dedicated and caring people around. There is still a need for donations, so check out Katie’s thread in the Announcements section and show your unquestioned loyalty.

Jennifer Riddle

TK-9496 "jnnfr72"

Imperial Propaganda Machine

Halloween - Season of the Deathtrooper!

Here in the USA, Halloween is the time for spooky things: Haunted houses, scary movies, graveyards and all things creepy! What better time to break out your favorite Halloween costume: The Death Trooper!

Originally introduced in 2009 by author Joe Schreiber, the Death Trooper is the result of your classic "government project gone wrong" zombie story -- set on a Star Destroyer!

To date there are only 2 Death Troopers in the Legion: Marty Miller (TK-1524 of Garrison Carida) and Brian Anderson (TK-7602 of the New England Garrison). We'd love to see more, so here are some tips on getting your Death Trooper approved:

• No wet blood! There was a lot of controversy and debate about whether these costumes should be eligible for 501st membership. One of the compromises we made was that they should be gross, but not gory! If you are dripping with blood, you won't be approved!
  • Cracks, holes and torn faces are awesome, but keep in mind that if you have any exposed flesh, it's got to be zombified! Check out Marty Miller's amazing work for an example of how it's done.
  • Remember that the base of the suit still has to be a Legion approvable TK! This costume isn't an excuse to drag out your old Marco Enterprises suit and call it a zombie! We'd LOVE to see some EIB level builds!
  • Don't go overboard! Look at the Gentle Giant bust, the Galaxies model, the Celebration VI exclusive maquette -- they are yellowed and cracked, but they aren't a complete disaster. Don't punch 501 holes through the armor and cut half the chest off!

As a bonus tip, here's a way to have the "torn out face" look without having to wear a full face mask under your helmet! Find a nice looking zombie mask (now is the best time of year for that!), and cut the lower face out. Attach that to the inside of your helmet and you have something that looks cool and can be slipped on and off easily!

Once you get your Death Trooper approved, it's time to have fun: Find a local zombie walk, visit a horror con, or take a trip to your local haunted house. Yes, some people will be scared, but that's the point, isn't it? And you never know... sometimes the kids actually LOVE these guys!!

That photo is from my first official troop in the DT armor. The little girl in the picture followed me around all day and took dozens of photos with me. Her mom said I was her favorite part of the convention! Don't mind the shoulder falling off... like I said, that was my first troop! ;)

Off to eat some Rebels,

Brian Anderson

TK-7602 "Stormtrooperguy"

Detachment Executive Officer

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

No front porch or doorstep - or office party - would be complete without the TK-o-lantern. Download and use these templates for a unique pumpkin treat!

TK pumpkin templates for download.

Click here to download the PDFs.

1st Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment Staff

Congratulations to Charles "Clamps" Bowes for earning Trooper of the Month. Clamps deftly went from EIB to Centurion via his humble and thoughtful build threads. He typifies "Troopers Helping Troopers" on FISD and within our Tantive IV Boarding Party fire team.

Charles is one of those troopers that comes along and once you meet him you won’t forget him. He’s genuinely positive, upbeat and friendly. He applies that attitude to everything he does. When building his TK – he put in a tremendous amount of care and effort into it. The result of which is a beautiful Centurion level TK.

He now uses that energy and enthusiasm not only to keep trying to perfect his costume but to help others with their builds. Charles is always there to share his experiences and knowledge and he even goes so far as to offer other local TKs a chance to get in on an order to save on shipping whenever he buys something.

I had been working on my build a month or so ahead of Charles and one thing I told him was to make sure he had enough clamps! He went a tiny bit overboard with his use of clamps which earned him the nickname of “Clampsâ€.

Overall he is a stand up guy, a real joy to be around and a great friend!

Andrea Loar

TK-6093 "Andrea11"

Imperial Propaganda Machine

I have mentioned in past newsletters that there are no hard and fast rules about which 501st outing wins FISD Troop of the Month. This month boomshakra's report about the September 15's Purple Stride 5k in Austin fulfills many of the unspoken requirements for a charity event capturing the award. Good looking TKs, a great cause, a fun event, nice photography, and most importantly making us laugh. Congrats to the troopers of the South Texas Squad - Scorpion Riders for helping raise money for pancreatic cancer. Check out Jason's report for more photos of what looks like a super fun day.

Nicely done troopers!

Hand plate high five

Come together... right now... (that clone should have taken off his boots)

Don't Forget We're on Facebook and Twitter!

Facebook: www.facebook.com/whitearmor

Now with "tip of the week" and other ongoing discussions. If you're on FB, stop by and say hi, ask questions, and share stories!

Twitter: www.twitter.com/@FISD501st

From crazy TK merch findings to Jedi Mind Trick Avoidance Training, follow FISD on Twitter!

With Complete, Total Unquestioned Loyalty and Job Satisfaction,

Ingrid Moon

TK-6818 “LadyInWhiteâ€

Public Relations Officer

On behalf of the 1st Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment Command Staff.

End Transmission.

This post has been promoted to an article

Congrats to new XO Brian, and new PM Mark [from my garrison] and Derek and Andrea. :)

I've got my pumpkin ready - now to decide on which template to use? Maybe I better go

buy 2 more pumpkins! I'm excited for all the scary pictures from everybody on their troops

and at their parties. Those Death Troopers ROCK.

<poked head out from hiding spot> Ingrid, for the Tip of the month, shall we assume that is the ANH colour scheme? Is there a paint reference tip sheet for ESB and ROTJ as well? I only ask as I am painting my ESB bucket, or I was before my little brish cleaner mishap.... but anywho I digress. If there is no official Tip sheet, I guess I will ask over in the ESB area. <returns to hiding spot>.

thanks,

clamps

<poked head out from hiding spot> Ingrid, for the Tip of the month, shall we assume that is the ANH colour scheme? Is there a paint reference tip sheet for ESB and ROTJ as well? I only ask as I am painting my ESB bucket, or I was before my little brish cleaner mishap.... but anywho I digress. If there is no official Tip sheet, I guess I will ask over in the ESB area. <returns to hiding spot>.

thanks,

clamps

ESB is the same as ANH on the armour.

Feedback and suggestions (and nominations for trooper of the month if you feel someone is deserving but overlooked) are always welcome. Let me know what you think, and what you want to see in future NLs!

Is the NL getting too long? Are there parts you're more interested in than others? Is the Brief of value? Do you print it and use it as bumfodder? (Look that one up!)

PM me :D

Cheers,

Ingrid

Bumfodder. Leave it to Ingrid to add a new an impolite person related word to my vernacular. That's tough to do. My bottom related lexicon is rather extensive.

-Eric

Feedback and suggestions (and nominations for trooper of the month if you feel someone is deserving but overlooked) are always welcome. Let me know what you think, and what you want to see in future NLs!

Is the NL getting too long? Are there parts you're more interested in than others? Is the Brief of value? Do you print it and use it as bumfodder? (Look that one up!)

PM me :D

Cheers,

Ingrid

I like the newsletter in length but that may be because I am new and soaking it all up. Lol I do read it via email though because when people quote the newsletter in the forums it drags the thread length way out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I personally LOVE the newsletter. I would read it in any format, though I may need a PDF of this month's for personal reasons. :dancing-trooper:

But the point here is that it is a great communication tool to summarize the goings on every month. This is by far the best Detachment I have come across (I have been researching others for costuming ideas) and this is just another great thing I am not seeing elsewhere. The tips are great, the Data points are fun to read, the sharing of great stories and events make me smile and all of this confirms for me that I made the right choice to be a TK first and will always be a TK at heart.

with unquestioned loyalty for ever and ever amen,

:tkrotj: TK-26257 -> That spells "Clamps" yo! :tkrotj:

Lol You got the your five digits that spells Clamps? Nice!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

yes sir,well, "Clamp" technically, but close enough.... I was always told to OWN IT when it comes to being given a nickname, so I took it and ran with it. I really struggled when it came to submission time, as I had a list of ID's I was wanting to use that had a bit of significance to me. But ultimately, this was just too fun to pass up.

Edited by chookaboom

Thanks for the tip of the hat. I'm not gone, I just don't have the time to sit on the boards and go through every thread like I used to. I'm still around and watching ;) . If anyone needs me they can send me a PM.