How to slightly reshape ABS

Hi All,

I'm thinking I'd like to reshape my shin armour, it's currently very round and although I already have to make it larger for wearing, before I do that I was considering giving it a cm or so squash into a slight more oblong shape so when I add the shim, it goes back to more round (as opposed to width - oblong, if that makes sense). Currently I can't even seal the velcro over my boots.

Picture:----------

It's not a huge change and all I'm doing in the pic is squeezing it a little. I was wondering if there was maybe some simple, heat- related way to achieve this?

thanks for your advice.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

I have heard of people using hobby irons. It is a small handheld iron with some sort of cloth protector maybe. I personally have never seen one of them.

I've used a hair dryer before. I don't have a heat gun.

+1 for the hair dryer. But keep at least 10" (25 cm) distance, or it will shut down

Hmm kinda surprised, just did 10 minutes or so work with a hairdryer on a strip of 2mm pinseal abs and absolutely nothing happened, except the abs got very hot (nearly too hot to touch infact). No more malleable than the other end which was cold.

On 10/5/2012 at 10:34 PM, kaa1304 said:

Hmm kinda surprised, just did 10 minutes or so work with a hairdryer on a strip of 2mm pinseal abs and absolutely nothing happened, except the abs got very hot (nearly too hot to touch infact). No more malleable than the other end which was cold.

For what you are wanting to do, I would buy a heat gu. You can get them at most hardware/home improvement store and hobby shops for 10.50GBP ($17USD) to 18.53GBP ($30USD) that will do a great job.

Word to the wise, use gloves and be careful take your time (you can burn yourself, and/or do damage to the plastic).

------------

Edited by gmrhodes13

On 10/5/2012 at 11:38 PM, RogueTrooper said:

For what you are wanting to do, I would buy a heat gu. You can get them at most hardware/home improvement store and hobby shops for 10.50GBP ($17USD) to 18.53GBP ($30USD) that will do a great job.

Word to the wise, use gloves and be careful take your time (you can burn yourself, and/or do damage to the plastic).

---------

Oh really that cheap? I was thinking 60gbp + but will check it out properly now, thanks!

Edited by gmrhodes13

I could be waaaaaay wrong but I've heard putting it in super hot water then bending it then sticking IT in cold water will do the trick. Please correct me if that's a bad idea

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Thats what I do with Gamesworkshop resin minatures hehehe. Might work!

Oh really that cheap? I was thinking 60gbp + but will check it out properly now, thanks!

yeah a month ago, I bought one for $20USD/12.35GBP after taxes, to replace my old heat gun, it works great. Burn the hair off a wamp rat at 1 meter... :lol:

Hmm. Strange.Imade some bicep hooks after about 5 mins of heating.

I would just use boiling water. That is how I reshape my pieces. Either a bit pot of water that is boiling, you duo it in for about 10-15 secs and then bend it and put it under cool water.

Of you can use a kettle and pour boiling water over the piece wjere you want it to bend and bend it as you go. It practically starts bending an impolite person you pour. (might need two people for that and be careful)

I would avoid a heat gun at all coats because they can cause serious damage tothw amour if you aren't careful. I've heard a lot of horror stories about heat guns.

Edited by Spectre

• 7 months later...

Of you can use a kettle and pour boiling water over the piece wjere you want it to bend and bend it as you go. It practically starts bending an impolite person you pour. (might need two people for that and be careful)

I laughed hard at this one. I know this is ooooold, but seriously.

You can see wahat happens if you accdentally add an extra s to the word as

Starts to melt as you pour vs starts to melt an impolite person you pour. I love the auto-profanity-correct lol