Owen91's ESB TK build [T/MC]

When I wear the butt plate, the part that extends down to snap to the cod rubs and pinches my inner thigh a bit when walking.

The back of the butt plate also likes to overlap the kidney a bit (that's normal, right?) and it pops the center snap. To remedy this I think I'll remove the center strap and add 2 more straps farther from the center. I'll post some pics this evening to hopefully show what I'm talking about.

This is my inspiration for fixing the butt plate: (from zsavk's T/MC build, which I'm trying to follow) 100_0888.jpg

Edited by Owen91

I've got everything to where I can wear it now, (except the helmet)! Some things I'm looking at doing next:

1. Padding forearms and calves.

2. replacing provided cut-out lenses with a square sheet from Trooperbay (hot glue wasnt doing a good job of holding them down, by the time I tried E-6000 they were too sloppy from my previous failed attempts to even fool with.)

3. addressing a fitting issue that has my chest plate favouring the left side.

4. Putting the guts in my helmet. For now it's going to be plain foam but I may try to fancy it up later. How do I keep the helmet from doing the "Bell" thing? It swings left and right from the top of my head like a bell when pushed/bumped. I've padded the back of the head, the brow, above the ears, and a thin slice on the scalp.

5. Painting! I got the ab buttons done with 3 coats. Next I'll do the helmet.

6. Still waiting on the rest of my decals to come in.

4. Putting the guts in my helmet. For now it's going to be plain foam but I may try to fancy it up later. How do I keep the helmet from doing the "Bell" thing? It swings left and right from the top of my head like a bell when pushed/bumped. I've padded the back of the head, the brow, above the ears, and a thin slice on the scalp.

I had the "bobble head" syndrome too. Bought a chin strap but ended up not using it. Trial-and-error positioning of the padding fixed the problem. I just kept adding and moving the padding until it was snug to each side of head.

So a chin strap is one of those items that isn't really necessary? I can see that, considering I can't do much bending over. I can walk, jog lightly, climb stairs and descend without being pinched, and squat and pretty much everything else a TK is supposed to do except die.

Not bad trooper! The only obvious comment is that the thighs need to come up quite a bit. Shouldn't be too much gap between the cod and the thighs. Unless you're a super tall guy (then it can't be helped generally).

Your left ab-kidney looks good (with the use of the rivets) but you definitely need straps for the right as well. Ideally should be a nice straight seam.

I was thinking the thighs would need to come up too. The left thigh bit the absolute crap out of the back of my leg when I was testing out the stairs yesterday. I'll pop 'em open today and loosen them up a bit.

I also only have the one strap connecting the right. I'll be sure to add another and maybe another and see how I can make it work :)

Yeah definitely that's the case as I saw the inside pictures. It creats an upside down "V". If you have tight straps like the left you'll be fine. :)

Thighs are brutal, I have to walk up stairs like I I have something stuck in you know where but, in my personal opinion. I like the look of as much black reduced as possible. You won't lose too much lateral movement (ie no stairs - check out the silly stuff Andrea and I did this weekend in our TKs) but you will find it hard to climb stairs which you rarely do anyways trooping.

I opened up the thighs a good bit in the back and saw about 1" lift in the left thigh and .5" in the right thigh. I don't think it helped much, so I will likely loosen the taper in the back, which I left at its original tightness. Most of my height is in my legs, so I don't think I'll be able to bring them all the way up to the cod piece without exposing too much black at the knees.

1350948445_zps3b5ee5df.jpg

I am, however, extremely pleased with my right gap at the ab. The second strap evened it up nicely!

1350948447_zpsebf6d499.jpg

1350948452_zps0dff8bb7.jpg

Notice the difference in the gap between the left and right thigh pieces in the thigh armour? I think the left inner piece is shaped differently than the right inner piece. It would explain the better fit of the right thigh and the noticeably lower left thigh. That or my legs are deformed!

1350948453_zps4aa921a7.jpg

Got my acceptance email today!

I now stand ready to serve as TK-89626, (took my number after my car, an '89 Mazda 626) All I have left now is to get my blaster and ultimately apply for EIB.

I know I didn't really post much of a build thread, so instead I shall create a nice reference/tip thread.

99.99% of what I did I followed from other great threads such as:

zsavk's ANH T/MC build:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/14081-tmc-build-zsavk-tmc/page__hl__tmc

naatsirhc's ESB ATA build:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/8141-naatsirhcs-ata-buildata/page__hl__strap%20system

and Tray's awesome instructional disc which gives a detailed blow-by-blow from the calves up.

I learned about what tools I'd need from these threads:

http://www.tonybarnett.plus.com/snaps.html

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11760-basic-tools-needed-for-armour-building/

Some experiences I gained throughout the build:

1. The Score-snap method works, but it is extremely uncomfortable, time consuming and can be tricky. I bought a pair of aviation snips from Walmart; they made my build SO. MUCH. EASIER. I highly recommend aviation snips in addition to a boxcutter and lexan scissors. Use Aviation snips for straight lines, broad curves, and coarse cuts. Use the Lexan scissors for curved edges and tight spots. Use the boxcutter for fine cuts, rough edges, sharp corners, and trimming to perfection.

2. The kit can be built without using pop rivets! I went to Ace Hardware and bought all the split rivets I'd need and then some for less than 3$. No innaccurate pop rivets, no rivet tool.

3. Plumber's Goop works great, likely the same thing as E-6000. will not heat up when applied to Dritz HD snaps (from Walmart/Hobby Lobby) I'm not sure about Tandy snaps, though.

4. Nylon/Polypropylene snap plates are more flexible and seal to the contours of the armour better than plastic snap plates do.

5. Don't cheap out on snaps. Get about 50!

6. The setting tools that came with the snaps worked just fine for me, I found no need for Vario-pliars.

7. You can never have enough clamps, and the bigger they are the better.

8. Having a helper makes it so much easier. I would've had a hard time with some parts if it weren't my brother helping me out.

9. The kit can be built without a dremel, you just have to be careful and patient. I'd still recommend one.

10. It's good to have reference pics to work with as you go. Think of it as a big, wearable Lego set.

I hope these tips/references will help someone else down the road. The FISD has helped me immensely and I hope to return the favour!

Grats! I am still waiting for my email...

I may do as you did on the right side as I did a 100% original strapping method I only have the one strap on that side as well, and noticed the same thing was happening to my armor.

I guess in the screen used suits the belt and the fact they were tiny guys and the armor butted against each other helped to even it out.

I kinda hate to add another non original strap there, but I may have no choice.

Looks awesome. On your greaves. The right greave looks to be sitting lower on your leg than the left one. You can see it from the photo. The right one is down to the edge of the picture where the left one I can see the bottom of the greave as if it is sitting higher above the ankle.

Edited by Tray

You know Tray I was looking at these pictures yesterday and noticed the same thing. I've also had trouble with the boot popping out from under the left greave when climbing stairs or moving my legs with anything beyond a simple walk. It's possible I'm just fastening it on too tightly but there may be a fit issue as well. I'll have to revisit these today.

That is one nice thing about the hook system, the elastic allows the grieve to flex as you walk which works quite well.

The down side is that the grieve does not close as tightly as when it is held with velcro.

you can see what i mean in this pic of my intermediate fittings:

Blastem_zps176029df.jpg2012-10-18_17-43-55_935_zps31be5d69.jpg

Looks awesome. On your greaves. The right greave looks to be sitting lower on your leg than the left one. You can see it from the photo. The right one is down to the edge of the picture where the left one I can see the bottom of the greave as if it is sitting higher above the ankle.

This is typical of GF/AP armour since it has a duplicate outer right/inner left which makes the left side tighter than the right. The moulded in joining strips are positioned in such a way that, when fitted with correct parts, fit much better than having duplicate parts.

Just try not tightening the left shin so tightly and I am sure it will feel and sit much better.

• 4 months later...

Looks great! I have the same kit and just finished it up, Tray offers up some goodness with this one. The cd was great, I used a heat gun on my left shin to get it to fit a little better, be careful though. I will try to get some pics up, I went ANH stunt with mine. Glad to see a Midsouth brother, hope we can troop together soon!!!! J