Helping a little girl that was bullied for liking Star Wars

RogueTrooper

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll let Gaza post all of the details and the better pics but I snagged a couple of group shots of us from the MWG site to give you guys a preview. What an amazing day!:

--------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

The day the 501st/F.I.S.D./Midwest Garrison were all waiting for has come and gone. It was everything it could have been. Once it was decided that the presentation was going to be an official troop, troopers from the Midwest Garrison ralleyed to join in the celebration. It would have been cool to have three or four troopers and maybe a Vader. Not only did we have a Vader, but an Imperial Officer, and EIGHT TK's were there as well!!! I did not suit up as I had volunteered to help Katie into her armor and show Mom (carrie) through the process. 11 troopers all together! What a turnout! What was best about it was that neither Katie or her Mom was aware that troopers were going to be there!

Once Katie and Carrie arrived, they were greeted by the Imperial March on the stereo and the sight of 8 TK's lined up on both sides creating an aisle that led straight to Vader. Katie was a little overwhelmed and that was to be expected. Carrie was feverishly snapping pictures to document every moment of this little girl's dream come true. Once things settled down a bit, Katie was told the story of how this day was made possible. She was informed that the entire WORLD had come together for her to help her dream come true. She was even shown that fact. With Tom (RogueTrooper)'s help, the full list of everyone that had contributed to this project was assembled. These names were added to the underside of the tote lid to document all the contibutions from troopers around the globe. A list of instructions was added as well as a column for "armor recipients". After Katie has outgrown the armor, it will return to the 501st to hopefully make another child's dream come true.

Once the tale had been told, Katie heard the words she had been waiting for...."Are you ready to suit up?"

The armor went on like it was made for her........because it was!!! But really. The fact the armor not only fit, but fit her comfortably was a huge relief to the build team. And she wore it like a pro!!! She joined everyone for picture time along side her heroes. Katie then took a second from all the excitement to remove her bucket and thank everyone for helping her dream to come true. Although I didn't see, I'm sure my eyes were not the only ones with a few tears in them.

Thanks needs to go out to Legion PR member Dean Plantamura for contacting the F.I.S.D. and to Tom (RogueTrooper)Gardner for spearheading the contribution efforts. Thanks also needs to go to all the troops worldwide that contributed both dollars and/or materials. Thanks also needs to be extended to the Midwest Garrison build team members: Javier Esqueda (TK 265), Adriane Bean (TK 4541), Steve Mammen (TK 7345), Brain Troyan (TK 8968) and Steve Gaza (TK 4034). This was truly a worlwide effort that made a little girl's dream come true. This is a proud day for the 501st!!!! DUTY! HONOR! EMPIRE!!!.....501st!!!!

Garrison representatives: Brian Troyan (TK 8968) Adriane Bean (TK 4541)Carlos Mendoza (TK 5924) Phyllis Schulte (TK 1951) Steve Mammen (TK 7345) Matt McDonald (TK 8148) Javier Esqueda (TK 265) Jim Tampa (SL 1020) Dave Obidallah (ID 4185) Steve Gaza (TK 4034). Kudos need to go out to Matt Frysztak (TK 8596) who came in from the Bloodfin Garrison to join in this celebration. ----------------------

Edited by gmrhodes13

Great write-up, Gaza! and lots of credit needs to go to you for all the time, skill and passion you put into this! (And for letting us take over your house on more than one occasion to get this done!) To the members of the FISD, it's truly amazing how everyone came together both via the web and in person to make this happen. It was an honor to be part of the build and the delivery. Katie was non-stop smiles with her armor on, and kept asking her mom if she could put it on again once they got home.

Edited by Beans

After this event and a smile from ear to ear I went to work and had to put on my "Other Suit". On just 3 and a half hours of sleep, after I gave two Roll Calls to my JPD troops I sat in the Watch Commanders office thinking about how after almost 15 years in the Legion how everything has come down to a cause and an event like this. Legion members never cease to amaze me with how when a call for help goes out we are there to truly answer that call! No shootings last night, fights or domestics could have ruined Katie's Armor Day for me. This was epic and will always stand out as one of the best events in my life to see a child marvel at herself looking at her reflection in Gaza's glass patio door.

Glad to see my neck seal fitted Katie and what a great job you all did with her armour, it looks brilliant! I hope she has many happy hours in it. I'm proud to be part of such a wonderful group of people. :jc_doublethumbup:

Man I wish I could have been there to see all of this. I am so proud to be a member of this organization. :D It's crazy how much joy and pride I felt when I saw my name in paint marker on that lid. I love that we are going to keep passing this kit on to others in the future!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Man I wish I could have been there to see all of this. I am so proud to be a member of this organization. :D It's crazy how much joy and pride I felt when I saw my name in paint marker on that lid. I love that we are going to keep passing this kit on to others in the future!

Seeing my name in the lid made me feel really proud too. Glad to have played even such a small part in this project, well done to all of you for making it happen and doing such an awesome job.

Si.

Way to go everyone! It was truly an honor to be a part of the build team, as well as being there in armor to present it to her. It was awesome to see the smile on little Katie's face get bigger and bigger as the armor went on piece by piece. Actually, it was hard to tell who had the bigger smiles, Katie, or all of us there sharing in her first suiting up :jc_doublethumbup:

i thought I would post this here as well, it is katie's moms blog about yesterday:

------------

try not to cry

Edited by gmrhodes13

Way to go, Matt!!!! I still remember the first time i suited up for the public like it was yesterday. I never expected that I would ever be involved with something as gratifying as this. Every time I think that I have seen it all, something like this comes along to remind me how awesome it is to be part of the501st. I am truly blessed!