Helping a little girl that was bullied for liking Star Wars

RogueTrooper

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an update from the Midwest Garrison on Katie's armor build: Progress is being made despite the distance between all parties involved. Measurements of Katie were collected and compared to a neighbor's daughter for fitting purposes. All extra parts have been received (ABS from Terrell at ATA for cover strips, neckseal, KICK A** holster and blaster from Tom, canvas belt, and boots). Since this IS an FX kit, the challenges of making this NOT look like one are a challenge in itself. The main challenge was in the helmet. I have evidence that the helmet was trimmed prior to receiving it. It did finall go together but with a great deal of effort. Standard FX helmet building proceedures were scrapped for more accurate results. Correct colors and hand painting were implimented although Trooperbay's accurate tubes stripes were used. The ears were a total different color of ABS and looked rediculous next to the much whiter helmet. After considerable trimming, the ears were painted white to match the rest of the helmet. The only other thing that needed correcting was the mic tips. The kit comes with what looks like ribbed stereo knobs. This would not do. I ground down the ribs on the sides, cut an "equator" around the center and added mini screens. They are so cute. Other tidbits that have been done so far: Ab plate was trimmed to not look so "FX" like, black ab buttons painted correctly, Belt was trimmed and corners angled, Therm Det was painted and awaiting assembly, Butt plate was seperated from kidney. It was determined from the measurements that the sides will need to be shimmed almost 2 inches. It is what it is. Our team is assembling this coming sunday. We have three experienced armor builders and one seamstress who also has armor experience. I can't wait to see this little girl in it!!! Some progress pics.

The original abkatiesarmor017.jpg

After trimming at ab buttons installed002.jpg

007.jpg

Helmet during painting004.jpg

Stereo knobs.....er...mic tips before and after005.jpg

006.jpg

Completed helmet0013.jpg

0023.jpg

0032.jpg

Hopefully soon, we will have pics of our little TK complete and smiling!!

Steve and the rest of the MWG, are doing a rocking good job......keep more pix coming!!!!

Thanks for the kind words! This coming Sunday is our main build day. Katie wants it for halloween so if there are things that need to be tweeked after the main armor build party, we still have a few days before final presentation. I will post a photobucket URL the day of the build

See you guys in the morning! Cant wait to assemble this armor for Katie. I was there for the book signing event ( ahem, playing the part of Rebel Scum X-wing Pilot that night :huh: ) and met Katie and her Mom. What an awesome little girl and family.

Ā 

Here's a link to the story behind Katie's choice for a Stromtrooper http://www.chicagonow.com/portrait-of-an-adoption/2012/10/halloween-and-the-adopted-child-a-costume-is-more-than-it-appears/ :duim:

We started on Sunday with the rest of the the build at 0800 hours and finished at 0001 hours Monday morning! We spent all day at Steve Gaza's home toiling away to finish the Armor! Steve Gaza, Adriane, Steve and I worked late to get this done and at the end of the evening all that was left to do was to attach the ammo boxes to the right knee and the finishing strips to the back of the thighs. Steve Gaza took plenty of pictures to post. We made sure that it was up to FISD Standards for EIB.

We started on Sunday with the rest of the the build at 0800 hours and finished at 0001 hours Monday morning! We spent all day at Steve Gaza's home toiling away to finish the Armor! Steve Gaza, Adriane, Steve and I worked late to get this done and at the end of the evening all that was left to do was to attach the ammo boxes to the right knee and the finishing strips to the back of the thighs. Steve Gaza took plenty of pictures to post. We made sure that it was up to FISD Standards for EIB.

Ā 

well i may have been a little late with my donation. SORRY! :blink: but i still hope you guys can put the money to good use for the Empire and the Star Wars fans who may not be able to express themselves how they want.