E6000 questions

I threw away the packaging that had the directions on it, so I might as well get some additional info.

How long is the dry time again? I think it said an hour

When fully cured is it hard like glue or somewhat squishy like hot glue sticks/caulk

Is it better to be applied thin like super glue to both sides of the contacts or thick to one side and clamped together?

After applying fresh does it have to dry slightly like spray adhesive to become tacky before contact or the faster the better

What other misc things have you used it for besides armor?

The dry time is more like 12-24 hours...

The way I've always used it is to apply thinly (although I don't go to great length to care) on one side and then clamp it together. No need to let it dry for a while first.

I take the clamps/magnets off once it's cured over night, but I don't put any stress on the parts until at least 12 hours has passed. I find that waiting the whole 24 hours is a bit excessive.

I have cured parts for 12 hours or less and was perfectly fine. (Helmet pieces, webbing) HOWEVER, dont rush it when it comes to high tension pieces like closing up the forearms. I wasnt patient and pulled my clamps and tape and within minutes the stress of the tention had slowly separated them. Had to get all the E6000 off and start over. After that, I waited about 12-16 hours for most but a good 24 hours for pieces that i felt really needed it. You should usually be able to tell when clamping how much stress there is at the seams.

I believe the package said 6 hours but overnight (12+ hours) is best. The slowness is one of the reasons I hate it. So is the goopy mess. However, it has saved my a very impolite person many times in having to peel parts apart (I've redone my thighs 3 times) and fix things, or when things slipped under the clamps and had to be un-done and re-done. However, once cured, it's quite strong and reliable.

I usually lightly sand and then wipe clean (no dust) the contact parts, apply a layer on one side and then clamp, tape, magnet, and so forth. No need for contact spray or any of that other stuff. I wipe away as much excess as I can, but after it cures it's kind of a clear, dense goop like hard rubber cement. It can be easily sliced and stretch-peeled away if it leaks out, like on cover strips, and looks messy.

Unless you're planning on building your entire suit in 1-2 days, I highly recommend using the e6000.

And Tony, yes.

Although, a great virtue of TK building I've learned is patience.

So it does clean up VERY easily, literally with your fingers and some elbow grease. Takes a while to dry, but the benefits, especially when used on a first build, outweigh the drawback of dry time. Very forgiving, and very strong.

How I use E6000 is I make sure that I have my "Clamps, Tape, magnets, paper, etc..." all ready, I use a utility knife to lightly score the side that I put the glue on. Let it sit for 5 - ten min. depending on air temp. Put the pieces together. Use the "Clamps, Tape, Magnets,etc..." and let it set. I like to use the glue in the evening. The reason why, so it can sit overnight. By the time I get home frorm work and having dinner, "24 Hours" has passed and then I can remove the "Clamps, Tape Magnets, etc...". Also I like to let the part that I am working on air out fo a few days. A good tip for working with E6000, use it outside and use a resperator an not a dust mask! The Fumes are Tough!

Andy

I believe the package said 6 hours but overnight (12+ hours) is best. The slowness is one of the reasons I hate it. So is the goopy mess. However, it has saved my a very impolite person many times in having to peel parts apart (I've redone my thighs 3 times) and fix things, or when things slipped under the clamps and had to be un-done and re-done. However, once cured, it's quite strong and reliable.

I usually lightly sand and then wipe clean (no dust) the contact parts, apply a layer on one side and then clamp, tape, magnet, and so forth. No need for contact spray or any of that other stuff. I wipe away as much excess as I can, but after it cures it's kind of a clear, dense goop like hard rubber cement. It can be easily sliced and stretch-peeled away if it leaks out, like on cover strips, and looks messy.

Unless you're planning on building your entire suit in 1-2 days, I highly recommend using the e6000.

+1

Yep, use in a well-ventilated area or the fumes will definitely make you feel pretty loopy (unless you're into that kind of thing - which I'm not). I do my kit work in my garage, and I always have the garage door open when I do.

I used it in the living room and the smell passed pretty quickly.

I found that it would squeeze out from under my coverstrips a bit when clamping. After clamping I found it necissary to wipe up the stuff that squeezed out with a paper towel while it was still wet. Once dried the excess is a bit rubbery like hotglue. The long dry time gives you plenty of time to clean everything up before it sets.

I am very glad I used E-6000 though. For the most part everything went together well, but after a few troops I'm already ripping some of it up to make adjustments.

e6000 allows for adjustments, cleanup and complete dis-assembly.

CA glue welds the joins. and if you make a mess, or your parts don't align flush, you can't take it apart.

who cares about dry time? the advantages outweigh the limitations.

e6000 all the way.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Great thread guys.  I was originally planning on using Plastic Epoxy because it bonds plastics and has a higher strength rating (though you cannot disassemble).  E6000 is more flexible and easier to apply, but I wasn't sure of its durability.  Has anyone had many problems with parts popping apart with the E6000?  I like the idea of being able to disassemble it for adjusting the size.

Does 180 to 200 grit sandpaper not work well with it also?  The epoxies I've used recommended this, and I had very good luck with that.  Haven't had a whole lot of experience with E6000.  How do you disassemble parts that are joined with it anyway?