FX Centurion Discussion.

ObiHahn

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm, that's difficult.

Ā 

I'd say all armor that, when you overlay the single components (like thigh/calf halves, arm halves, shoulders, chest etc.), say in different Photoshop layers, and the form and outlines match up to a high degree to screen used/derived components, it should be eligible for Centurion. In my mind, that includes all directly 1st gen cast armor and helmets, all TE clones (I'm calling them that to simplify, not to stir up another recasting debate) and all fan sculpts that are so well observed and implemented that they basically resemble screen derived armor.

Ā 

While this is talking subtleties no doubt, so is pointing out types of rivest used or placing of snaps and such, and well...has been massively overlooked so far when it should be the most important factor in aiming for a screen accurate look.

A TM without rivets, snaps and the whole shebang will always look more like a trooper from the movie (I'm talking silhouette, character or "mojo" here) than a set of FX/AM armor all decked out in what our current Centurion CRLs demand, I think we might all agree on that.

Sorry that I didn't clear that up: my intention was to include TM with the screen heritage armor. Paul went to great lengths to be as geometrically close to the original armor as one can posibly be from reference material and without recasting. His efforts must be recognized, and though not a cast from an original source, to all effects it should be considered "screen heritage" armor, as a TM is practically indistinguishable from what you see on screen.

Ā 

There are certain treats of an armor geometry that makes it look like a stormtrooper. If an armor comes close to this geometry to a point where you can't distinguish it from an original, I consider it as good as an original.

Ā 

But if you geometry is all wrong (angles are wrong, shapes are not the same, features are displaces by more than just a few millimeters or things are simply missing) then my personal opinion is that it can't be considered a good enough replica to be ranked among the higest level you can achieve in this hobby today.

Ā 

Edit: One more thing. At least for me, Centurion is the ultimate goal. Is the "the only way to have something closer to a screen Stormtrooper is having an original armor". Is the "If you can't get an original, the closer is this, and you do it this way". A lot of people investigated, documented and worked hard to fulfill our childhood dream. Centurion should be the recognition to that effort, not just one more step to improve the standard. That could be achieved refining EIB requirements.

As noted we mention other armor makes as well. Why not start with at least the things we all agree on? E.g. No AM/FX chest/back pieces for instance, then go from there.

Ā 

Time was when the FX helmet was allowed even for EIB, and the first time we tried to get rid of it the vote failed. Next year it passed. I think it's worth calling out, and we can at least start with the worst pieces and work from there.

Ā 

No board shorts should be part of the base CRL. People's thighs should properly fit as a base requirement. :)

Ā 

And, armor makers do change their molds based on our standards. Both RT & Mr. FX did. I think it's OK to start adding things like swoops to shoulder bells.

Ā 

Lastly, I'll break this out as a separate thread, we should move to only allow changes to standards once a year. Otherwise it's a moving target, and I'm getting complaints from folks who are in process that they are frustrated that they are near Centurion and that requirements may change from under them.

Ā 

Would that work? Let's face it - out of the box AM and FX should slowly phase out from Centurion. I think we can all agree on that - we should instead put positive pressure on the armor makers to make better kit for big troopers. We have before, and it worked out.

Ā 

Lastly, as long as we're tweaking standards we should clarify - no yellow armor! :)

I'm with you 100% on this Paul. :)

Ā 

I'm really hoping to use the centurion program as leverage to force some changes into the less accurate kits. It's worked before, and it should work again.

Ā 

Only making changes once a year makes sense. Complaining about a moving target does too, but I'm not agreeing with it. There's a simple solution for that which is to go above and beyond existing requirements. That way you're safe from future changes as well.

Then we should decide at what point to put these for a vote. I'd also suggest making the "effective" date about 30 days out from time the vote ends to allow in-progress Centurion applications to finish their work in progress.

Ā 

Since the elections are soon and there will be an email blast out to the membership, I'd suggest we include this one as well to maximize the voting potential and bring light to this issue.

Ā 

My $.02...

Since the elections are soon and there will be an email blast out to the membership, I'd suggest we include this one as well to maximize the voting potential and bring light to this issue.

Ā 

Excellent idea: put the spotlight on this matter.

Ā 

By the way, I gladly offer my help for all small things and nuances of screen accurate ANH TKs for any possible future "hardcore" artisan programs.

I can make lists in English and German. ;)