making a resin copy

vader74

Hey Robert,

I am a professional mold maker. I do mostly industrial molds, but have been casting sculptures for over twenty years. I highly recommend Smooth-On for you supplies. I work with many others, but they are great with customer service and their web tutorials are the best. The big question in what material to buy is, how many cast are you planning to make. Tin cured or Platnum cured. I cast in Platnum Silicone and do it in a pressure pot, so there is no air bubbles in the rubber. They also make a prototype rubber that is a one and done type of rubber.

The type of mold you are doing is the most easiest. It is a one part open face. All you have to do is build a box around it, at least 1/4 inch thick. Pressurizing gives you the best detail in the rubber. If you don't have a pressure pot, you can pour it in. You need a small steady stream and pour about 2 feet above the mold. A small stream will give you less chance of air bubbles. Pour in one spot and let it fill in. Make sure that your surface is level.

I recommend smooth cast 320 for the resin and you can just paint the casts. You can get brown pigments to tint the resin, then you would want smooth cast 325.

I am new to the forums, but have been doing this for years. If you have any questions feel free to message me

Oh, the other thing I would recommend. If you do not have a wood shop to build your mold boxes, I have used Legos. You can get real nice and tight with them. When I was at smooth-on 12 years ago, I think they thought I was crazy, but it took off. You need a quick mold and don't have a wood shop, it works. I make mine out of resin coated melamine now, but when I didn't have a wood shop I used legos and hot glued the edges.

is this your tutorial captain radu

http://www.b9robotresource.com/molding1.htm

where do you buy smooth on or mold making materials

art supply stores hobby shops?

----------

is this stuff any good i think the local art supplies store sells it

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

my old work used to get wooden dies made up and then sand molds and then molten metal

i never saw it done only finished product to machine up that my under standing of casting

i should try and cast a scope one day that would be awesome to make

so i hope resin casting is easier :)

Hey Robert,

I am a professional mold maker. I do mostly industrial molds, but have been casting sculptures for over twenty years. I highly recommend Smooth-On for you supplies. I work with many others, but they are great with customer service and their web tutorials are the best. The big question in what material to buy is, how many cast are you planning to make. Tin cured or Platnum cured. I cast in Platnum Silicone and do it in a pressure pot, so there is no air bubbles in the rubber. They also make a prototype rubber that is a one and done type of rubber.

The type of mold you are doing is the most easiest. It is a one part open face. All you have to do is build a box around it, at least 1/4 inch thick. Pressurizing gives you the best detail in the rubber. If you don't have a pressure pot, you can pour it in. You need a small steady stream and pour about 2 feet above the mold. A small stream will give you less chance of air bubbles. Pour in one spot and let it fill in. Make sure that your surface is level.

I recommend smooth cast 320 for the resin and you can just paint the casts. You can get brown pigments to tint the resin, then you would want smooth cast 325.

I am new to the forums, but have been doing this for years. If you have any questions feel free to message me

if i can get a good finish i might do a run of them for members on here but right now it will just be an experiment to see if i can manage it

I would buy directly from Smooth-on

http://www.smooth-on.com/Silicone-Rubber-an/c2/index.html

That tutorial is great, wow they used my lego idea. It was about 12 years ago that I came up with that. They thought I was crazy.

I would recommend a platinum silicone like the Mold Star 30. I use Smooth Sil 920, but I but my molds in a pressure pot to cure. I recommend mold star because it is really good rubber and you do not need to put it under pressure. It is also a 1:1 mix by volume. Some silcones are a 1:10 by weight and you need a gram scale.

Here are some tutorials on You Tube.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=smooth-on+one+part+mold&oq=smooth-on+one+part+mold&gs_l=youtube.3...375260.388840.0.389103.29.27.1.0.0.0.579.4289.9j11j6j5-1.27.0...0.0...1ac.1.EZAOIyjxhPk

Some are smooth-on endorsed. The mold you want to do is simple. For some reasons I am not getting notifications on this thread. I will try to follow it. I you have any questions message me. Smooth-on tech support is also great. I worked for them 12 years ago. I still have friends there.

Where are you from? I am in Pittsburgh. I am interested in a set and could cast them for you. I am doing a scratch build and a rebuild of a horrible cushman cast. The hand grips are horrible.

Let me know

Radu

I would buy directly from Smooth-on

http://www.smooth-on...n/c2/index.html

That tutorial is great, wow they used my lego idea. It was about 12 years ago that I came up with that. They thought I was crazy.

I would recommend a platinum silicone like the Mold Star 30. I use Smooth Sil 920, but I but my molds in a pressure pot to cure. I recommend mold star because it is really good rubber and you do not need to put it under pressure. It is also a 1:1 mix by volume. Some silcones are a 1:10 by weight and you need a gram scale.

Here are some tutorials on You Tube.

http://www.youtube.c...c.1.EZAOIyjxhPk

Some are smooth-on endorsed. The mold you want to do is simple. For some reasons I am not getting notifications on this thread. I will try to follow it. I you have any questions message me. Smooth-on tech support is also great. I worked for them 12 years ago. I still have friends there.

Where are you from? I am in Pittsburgh. I am interested in a set and could cast them for you. I am doing a scratch build and a rebuild of a horrible cushman cast. The hand grips are horrible.

Let me know

Radu

i PM'ed you did you get the notification ?