What kind of things damage armour?

Owen91

Hi all!

My T/MC kit will be here within the next 2-3 weeks, and while my studies have largely focused on building the armour and its positive sides, I haven't learned much about its weaknesses. I'm of the understanding that T/MC is a tad thick compared to other makers' wares, and that ABS in general can take a lot more abuse than HIPS. But what qualifies as abuse? Does it come in the form of a bear hug from an overly zealous Star wars fan, or as an accidental bump into a sharp edge? Will a trip and fall bust a sniper plate or is it more flexible than that?

Don't get me wrong, I'm going to wear the armour as if It were a suit of babies. I'm just trying to get a sense of how careful I need to be with this stuff! :56pullhair:

Thanks in advance!

^ I second this question. All of this anxiety built up to get my armor here and suddenly I am plagued with fear of ruining it on a troop. lol I have however read on a thread or two that it seems that a lot of people feel that normal wear and tear add to a more accurate "battle damaged" look.

Armor isn't brittle like wearing a suit of crackers. You can practically play football in ABS armor. Cyclic stresses are your worst enemy. Over time parts that get flexed continously will tend to fail over time. No big deal because just about every armorer out there is happy to sell you a replacement part for a reasonable price so just build your armor to the best of your ability and if a part happens to break get a replacement and get back on the battlefield. Don't stress yourselves fellas. Its nothing to worry about. I promise you.

Most of my scratches are on the ouside of my thighs - got scratched up from me lugging the stuff in my bin for 3 years without padding. Everything else has weathered well. ABS can take a lot of dings/cuts and still be fine. If you scratch it you'll loose that glossy coat and it may yellow. My back canister has yellowed on the edges cause I sanded those areas when I built my kit (repair job).

If you every troop the Big Texas Toy Run (like toys for tots), watch out for a few overly zealous biker chick Star wars fans. I still feel dirty...

1s6GOH4.jpg

Hi STEVE!

Edited by Sly11
Edited to restore images Sly11 2021

I once got a 2-inch long, L-shaped split right up the middle of my shoulder bell, when I was attempting to do a judo roll in full kit. It wouldn't have happened if I hadn't done four consecutive attempts.

So that would probably count as abuse.

Worst thing is, we didn't even get a good one for the video footage.

At first I was very nervous about how much punishment the armour can take, but as time has gone on I have learned that they are more durable than you'd expect. When your armour 'breaks' most of the time it is the glue failing or something similar, not the actual armour. Anyway, if you want to be truly screen accurate you can hold yourself together with gaffa tape ;)(don't take any notice to that last sentence ;))

I can do this, and nothing popped off or cracked!

also good for dewback taming :jc_doublethumbup:

Edited by Sly11
All image links broken and removed

I worried about this at first and went with PVC as its "meant" to be harder wearing (time will tell), Im also re-inforcing

parts that I think need it...... But I do realise that IT IS going to get bumps and scratches along the way and I'll just have

to get over it and maintain it with running repairs when needed..........

Edited by Elegance

On 9/13/2012 at 2:41 PM, TrooperTim said:

Hi STEVE!

Hey Tim! haha! How are ya mate?

Be very careful of what dremels and zombie prosthetics might do to your intentions! :smiley-sw013:

Edited by Sly11
All image links broken and removed

So the general mood I'm picking up here is that armour is fairly strong and will not break unless subjected to extreme stress, constant straining, or gymnastics.

While this means I will have to cancel my plans for the "TKs in Tutus" club, I am glad to have a better understanding of the armour's strengths and weaknesses. Though the topic of yellowing is something I really need to look into.

I'd love to hear anyone else's horror stories, advice or experience in the matter! Thank y'all again for the feedback!