1st build - Random Questions

As I'm reasearching topics I've came up with some questions and was hoping I could get some help.

1. I bought some curved sisscors. Do I need straight ones too?

2. Do you use elastic to hang you armor or do you use straps?

3. I noticed a lot of people use pop rivets on their armor and then paint them. Why not buy the white pop rivets?

4. How tight should my armor by? I don't want to look skinny in it but I don't want it to look big on me. I'm worried that I won't trim it correctly and then be screwed. FYI - I'm a worrier.

5. I'm getting an iComm/Aker and I've read about some mp3 loop you can play through it using an mp3 player. Where would I find these loops/music?

6. If I choose to go with split rivets for Centurion down the road, are these the right kind and how many would I need to order? http://trooperbay.com/accurate-nickle-split-rivets-and-washers/

7. My armor kit comes with a black pipe for the Thermal Detonator and it should be gray. Should I get a gray pipe or paint it? If I should paint it do I use one of the Humbrol paints?

8. I'm building an ANH Hero suit and I'm using an AP helmet. Is this an acceptable Hero helmet? I know I should change the mic tips out for EIB, S-Trim for Centurion etc.

I'm grateful for all the help I can get.

If you use the search you will find the answers to all your questions plus much, much more :)

To get you started on your first question, I use the score and snap method so didn't really have a need for straight cutting scissors but I believe some people prefer to use them for trimming.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Don't use pop rivets.

Use elastic.

Make the armour slim fitting.

If the detonator pipe is black, paint it grey. Yes you can use humbrol. But spray would be neater. Or you can upgrade the detonator kit to a more accurate size and natively grey pipe.

Ideally the split rivets should be brass and painted white.

The AP helmet can be reworked into a hero, but technically it isn't a hero and will never look as good as one intended to be a hero. Talk to TM for the best hero helmet available.

The mp3 loop you're referring to is available to 501st members on the main forums once you have been approved.

The AP helmet can be reworked into a hero, but technically it isn't a hero and will never look as good as one intended to be a hero.

This is quite true, and +1 on getting a TM Hero lid.

If you are going to convert though, be sure to flatten out the bump under the right eye, and contact John Danter for 3 bump ears and bubbly lenses.

Here are a few pointers. Do look around and try searching (I find the search box can be a pain sometimes to find good results unless you have really targeted keywords). I also recommend starting a build thread, it's a great place to show everyone else what you are doing and ask questions as you go along.

You can probably get away with just curved. Like Rob said, score and snap works good for straight cuts.

I used elastic, but I also used the original strapping method and I'm not as familiar with the other techniques. Not everyone uses the same strapping method and different parts are often attached and strapped differently. Look at people's build threads and at tutorials for good references.

3. I noticed a lot of people use pop rivets on their armor and then paint them. Why not buy the white pop rivets?

The only place I needed pop rivets on my armor was attaching the holster to the belt, and those ones aren't painted white. Other rivets I used were cap rivets and split rivets, and I'm not sure if you can get them in white in the correct sizes. I don't see why already white rivets wouldn't work though where they are appropriate.

4. How tight should my armor by? I don't want to look skinny in it but I don't want it to look big on me. I'm worried that I won't trim it correctly and then be screwed. FYI - I'm a worrier.

There was a thread yesterday that might help you: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=21003

6. If I choose to go with split rivets for Centurion down the road, are these the right kind and how many would I need to order? http://trooperbay.co...ts-and-washers/

The original suits had six split rivets on the side and one in the cod. They were brass rather then nickel, but the side rivets at least should be painted white. I think those are sufficient for centurion (refer to the CRL if in doubt), but I can't say for sure. A tip for Centurion details is to look at people's EIB and Centurion application threads. They usually feature up close pictures of their rivets and other details.

As I'm reasearching topics I've came up with some questions and was hoping I could get some help.

4. How tight should my armor be? I don't want to look skinny in it but I don't want it to look big on me. I'm worried that I won't trim it correctly and then be screwed. FYI - I'm a worrier.

5. I'm getting an iComm/Aker and I've read about some mp3 loop you can play through it using an mp3 player. Where would I find these loops/music?

6. If I choose to go with split rivets for Centurion down the road, are these the right kind and how many would I need to order? http://trooperbay.co...ts-and-washers/

7. My armor kit comes with a black pipe for the Thermal Detonator and it should be gray. Should I get a gray pipe or paint it? If I should paint it do I use one of the Humbrol paints?

8. I'm building an ANH Hero suit and I'm using an AP helmet. Is this an acceptable Hero helmet? I know I should change the mic tips out for EIB, S-Trim for Centurion etc.

I'm grateful for all the help I can get.

3. Not going to use pop rivets now. For the holster I will use screw posts, they look like rivets. This will allow me to take the holster off if I want.

5. I read about "TD-2243's TK Loop". Looked him up in the members section but couldn't find him. Looks like you may have to be a part of the 501st before you can get this???

7. CRL doesn't state that it has to use Humbrol, just says grey

8. I did some digging and it looks like the helmet that comes with the AP is a Stunt version :( So I guess I'll have to change to a Stunt setup. From what I've read it won't be a big deal if I convert to a Hero helmet later on.

Edited by tkuper05

Don't use pop rivets.

Use elastic.

Make the armour slim fitting.

If the detonator pipe is black, paint it grey. Yes you can use humbrol. But spray would be neater. Or you can upgrade the detonator kit to a more accurate size and natively grey pipe.

Ideally the split rivets should be brass and painted white.

The AP helmet can be reworked into a hero, but technically it isn't a hero and will never look as good as one intended to be a hero. Talk to TM for the best hero helmet available.

The mp3 loop you're referring to is available to 501st members on the main forums once you have been approved.

How can you convert a Stunt helm to Hero? From what I've read: Stunt helmets have two screws on the ear, Hero only has one. # of teeth are different and brow is different. Brow and screws seem easy to fix but how would you fix the teeth?

Stunt helmets have 3 screws in the ear, hero has 2. You can fix the teeth by filling in the area where the extra teeth are before you trim them. But if you do this you'll need to paint the helmet to cover the filler.

I'm researching holster location and the CRL says:

The holster will be affixed with two fasteners at the bottom of the belt instead of none or four. These may be rivets, snaps, or Chicago screws.

The tutroial on this site says:

ANH Stunt :

• The holster should be attached using only two fasteners at the top of the straps.

I'm assuming it should be attched on the bottom of the belt from looking at screenshots.

Looking through screenshots is always your best bet for something to model from. Some stormtroopers in the movies are a bit off and wouldn't meet CRLs (I think there is one in the boarding party with his belt on upside down for example), so don't emulate a particular screenshot without checking the CRL first. Check the Centurion application threads for clarity too, you can usually figure out what the CRLs mean from what others have done.

The Stunt holster is attached with two rivets that go through the bottom of the belt and the top of the holster straps. This differs from Hero, where there are four fasteners used.

Search around; for almost any detail there has probably already been a long discussion that will cover just about every possible way it could be interpreted.

I read about "TD-2243's TK Loop". Looked him up in the members section but couldn't find him. Looks like you may have to be a part of the 501st before you can get this???

Correct, the loop is only available once you have your numbers.

There is soo much info on offer in these forums, just have to hunt a bit and it's there :duim: