spring for E11 Blaster

ivanhoe13

I've got my calipers out and while they don't quite go deep enough I think the inner droopy barrel thing is about 7/8" or about 22mm.

Lots of people use a coat hanger wrapped around a broom handle or something properly sized.

For mine I went to my local ace hardware store and bought a crapton of springs. I wish I had remembered which size it was but I found one that was just a little too big and stretched it out to fit the diameter of the tube. Seems to work pretty well.

Here's a photo of an actual spring:

----------

Here are three real or replica sterlings to compare to:

I would suggest googling around for more images of real springs.

Aloha and good luck,

-Eric

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

On 8/28/2012 at 6:28 AM, Darth Aloha said:

Here's a photo of an actual spring:

----------

-Eric

Nice pic..where did you find that? Lol.....Unfortunately, the doopy doos inner diameter does not match up with the actual spring due to the pvc tube the use to reinforce it. I would recommend the drumstick or dowel method, and do your best to match the spread....

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Nice pic..where did you find that? Lol.....

Geez. I have no idea. A thread here somewheres maybe in one of the coat hanger links in my post. Not sure man.

This page has a similar image. Other fine photos here.

Aloha,

-Eric

The inner diameter of the doopydoos kit is 22mm. I bought some 1.6mm wire at a local DIY market and a wooden stick with 16mm diameter, drew some lines on the stick for orientation, clamped the wire on the top so that it holds still and wrapped the wire around several times.

Came out pretty nice, actually.

A real sterling spring is to big in the diameter to fit into the Doopy.

I found a spring in the hardware store that was close to the inside diameter of the Doopy.

I stretched out the spring until it looked close to the spacing between the sterlings spring.

You can also use a cleaned wire coat hanger wrapped around a 5A drumstick. The diameter of the drumstick fits perfectly with the coil inside the Doopy's barrel. Check my build for the details! Use the reference photos listed above for the spacing between coils and color. Good luck!

Possibly if you stretched it out some. The inner diameter of the droopy is smaller than an actual sterling. $20 for a coat hanger you're going to stretch out anyway seems spendy.

-Eric

On 8/29/2012 at 3:18 PM, Darth Furious said:

Would a real spring be useable?

----------

no the real Sterling spring from Apex is to large in diameter to fit inside the Doopy resin kit.

The cheapest way to go is the wire hanger route, and wrapping it around a round object like the drum stick or dowel rod etc...

I bought a $1.99 spring from my local hardware store. It was coiled or wrapped to tight. I just stretched it out so the space between the coils looked close.

In the photo below-

The top spring is from the hardware store.

The bottom spring is from a Sterling.

spring-1.jpg.6d8e102dbc9b245c0fe52514e766b140.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated