TK under way

Hello from MN I am just getting started on a remodel project that may take a little time and effort but I'm excited about it.

I posted this on my local 501st forum and it was ssuggestedI post here also to get some help and input......

OK I picked up a used stunt ANH TK costume from a former 501st member, I know I will need to do some trimming and upgrades to the armor but it gets me started. I am super excited to start work on it and making it better and my hope is when its all done I can join the 501st myself. Any tips on trimming or anything else would be greatly appreciated.

here is where I and so far.

2012-08-24131001.jpg

2012-08-24131228.jpg

2012-08-24134827.jpg

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How big of a person was the suit originally made for and how big are you? Wait . . . has this thing been fully assembled yet? Looking at the second picture it looks like the halves of the legs were shipped unassembled. Are the pieces just laying on the floor in the last shot?

Welcome to FISD, Jeremy! You are definitely in the right place to get all the help you need - and having garrison-mates to help you in person is also great!

Did the member tell you what type of armor it is? That will help figure out what details you'll need to pay most attention to. Other than fitting it to your specific body size, and from what I can see in the photo, it looks pretty decent!

How big of a person was the suit originally made for and how big are you? Wait . . . has this thing been fully assembled yet? Looking at the second picture it looks like the halves of the legs were shipped unassembled. Are the pieces just laying on the floor in the last shot?

OK the guy was a medium build, everything seems good just need to trim the returns on the arm pieces. I may need to shim the shins a little, but might work. I am for sure a little bigger around the middle than he was so may need to add a piece between the ab and kidney plates, unless its OK for a gap there?

This armor was old school velcro'ed together so I can really manipulate it to what I need to a point.

Welcome to FISD, Jeremy! You are definitely in the right place to get all the help you need - and having garrison-mates to help you in person is also great!

Did the member tell you what type of armor it is? That will help figure out what details you'll need to pay most attention to. Other than fitting it to your specific body size, and from what I can see in the photo, it looks pretty decent!

Thanks for the welcome :)

He just told me it was ANH ABS armor, it seems pretty well made to me, but its the first armor I have handled so what the hell would I know lol. There are a few black scuff here and there, what is a good way to get ride of them and clean up the armor? not sure whether to leave the velcro or convert to glue or do a mix? the rigging is also all velcro and looks like it will need replacing. I was thinking of putting the snaps in what are your thoughts on that?

I have read so many threads here my head is spinning lol I know once I get started I will feel a little bebetter)

I would put it on first, see how it fits. Make sure you get it on and fitted as best as possible before cutting it. You won't always know where to trim the proper amounts until the suit is fully on you. So if you don't have to trim right away, don't.

The velcro is a nice start so you don't have to make permanent changes to the suit. If you plan on keeping the suit for the long term, do the research on here for the hundreds of suit builds to see how you want to do it. Most people do the velcro on the backs of the shins and forearms, the fronts glued. the rest of the full closed pieces are glued, E6000 style.

The good thing about a velcro strapped suit is it's expandable very easily. once you get the suit in the right place, all you need to do is get some measurements and replace the velcro with snaps and straps. They seem to hold better for the long term and give a bit of elasticity to your suit pieces so they can move like you do vs being static, where our bodies are never static.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing more of your refit!

Edited by Dday

Best thing to do is wear it around the neighborhood and see what additional tweaks you'll need to make, and how well the velcro holds together. Personally I'd recommend snaps. See where there's armor bite for additional trimming.

The sides can have a little gap unless you're going for Centurion. I had to shim mine 1" on either side. My build thread under my sig image has some pics of it.

I'm sure you're overwhelmed so take your time. I know it's totally exciting and you want to be wearing it NOW NOW NOW! but you also want to get it right for you.

Rob "matt black" taught me how to sand and polish scuffs out of my armor. Most of the time some Novus 2 or Maguiar's compound will do the trick. Some guys use magic eraser but I don't like the feel of it. If it's deep scratches you'll need to sand. (You can PM me for some details if this is the case.)

Best thing to do is wear it around the neighborhood and see what additional tweaks you'll need to make, and how well the velcro holds together. Personally I'd recommend snaps. See where there's armor bite for additional trimming.

The sides can have a little gap unless you're going for Centurion. I had to shim mine 1" on either side. My build thread under my sig image has some pics of it.

I'm sure you're overwhelmed so take your time. I know it's totally exciting and you want to be wearing it NOW NOW NOW! but you also want to get it right for you.

Rob "matt black" taught me how to sand and polish scuffs out of my armor. Most of the time some Novus 2 or Maguiar's compound will do the trick. Some guys use magic eraser but I don't like the feel of it. If it's deep scratches you'll need to sand. (You can PM me for some details if this is the case.)

WOW! you're build link will help me out so much thank you. As for the fitting, my mum is visiting from England so have to put everything on the back burner for a couple of weeks then its time to get started. I will start with a full fitting and try to get some pic to post so you all can all let me know your opinions on fit before I do any trimming. The helmet decals are lifting and I want to replace them and will do a complete redo on the paint on the frown and ears to. It looks like this suit has been boxed for a very long time and needs some TLC.

What is a good method for removing the paint on the ears and frown? would paint thinner to it or is that not good to use on plastic, also any idea where I could get replacement decals? I think from what I am reading every where the snaps are the way to go, and may look at gluing the fronts of the shines and fore arms and leaving the velcro on the backs.

Mom will understand. In fact, she can help you!!! Put her to work! :)

I use a teeny bit of modeling thinner to clean up paint issues but not large areas altogether. Acetone will melt the plastic if applied that liberally. Post some pics and we'll let you know. Personally I like the hand-painted look and painted all but my tube stripes by hand. I would probably screw up the decals anyway, bubbles and stuff.

Mom will understand. In fact, she can help you!!! Put her to work! :)

I use a teeny bit of modeling thinner to clean up paint issues but not large areas altogether. Acetone will melt the plastic if applied that liberally. Post some pics and we'll let you know. Personally I like the hand-painted look and painted all but my tube stripes by hand. I would probably screw up the decals anyway, bubbles and stuff.

The more and more I look at the helmet I keep saying "I can paint this" but was worried about screw ups, now I know you can use a little thinner to clean up messes ;) I think I will look at doing most of the painting myself :)

As for mum, well she really doesn't the whole idear of a grown man dressing up lol and I can say "but its Star Wars" till I'm blue in the face lol, I also have a cough - X-wing pilot - cough cough - and Jedi - cough and she ddon'tget them either :D

(A) You CAN paint it... it's supposed to have a "painted" look which means it's not as clean and perfect as decals! :)

(B) My dad, who took me to see Star Wars when I was 6 and also influenced my deep love of SF, still says "When are you going to grow up?" And I say, "Define 'growing up'!" The previous generation has different expectations... growing up means putting aside "childish things" and taking on responsibility. I say we ARE taking on responsibility, sometimes even more than they did, and we are ALSO retaining the things that bring us joy and make our lives richer in ways that mean something to US. Who cares what makes OTHER people happy - we love our toys and our hobby. Gardening? Not for me. Charity work has always been a passion and hobby for me, and now I get to combine it with my love of SW and SF and ultimate nerdiness. FULFILLED!!! Our moms and dads just don't usually understand that, because it was never a reality for them. At least I know deep in his heart he's proud and doesn't mind haha.

I am so preaching, sorry! :D I guess I'm just relating. Good for you for pursuing it anyway. We have many people "fall out" who fell to the pressure of external misunderstanding.

Thanks for the welcomes guys, next week will be my first fitting to see what needs trimming and what doesn't I will try to get pic so I can get everyone's input.

Welcome to FISD! :)

And paint the Helmet, it is worth it.

Thanks for the welcome, and I think painting will be the way to go. This Friday I am going to do a test fit and get some pics, so I can see how the armor sits and fits as is. Then I will have a good idea where and what may need trimming or shimming. I am excited to make a start on this.

I did a quick fitting on some parts last night, but didn't have time to snap pics, and have a super busy week end :( one thing I did learn is this armor has been boxed for many years and need some work, the elastic and Velcro is not hold well at all so when I do take pics it I will have to hold some pieces in place. All in all this is a good quality armor from what I can tell just needs some TLC :)

So I decided to do a little upgrading and revamping of the E-11 while I wait for a few things to come in the mail..... its looking really good so far, a little filling then a new paint job and on to the armor next week :)

523386_10152097916105417_2072498101_n.jpg

I Did a little work on the Ab plate and buttons tonight. Stripped it back and re trimmed and cleaned it up ready for VaderDave's Ab buttons. Also took apart the thermal detonator re trimmed and cleaned it up ready for a new coat of Grey paint, the tube then its ready for new belt clips. I am having a load of fun getting this together and its gonna look awesome when its done. Still a lot of work ahead of me but am feeling more comfortable doing it with every step I take :)

Edited by Ravenwood