ROTJ E-11... Where to begin?

kaa1304

If you want to build it yourself, I am pretty sure the droopy doos kit is a perfect base. Just check the CRL to see the differences between ANH, ESB and ROTJ. http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_rotj and scroll to the very bottom.

The ROTJ E-11 is a delightfully aggravating puzzle. :)

I built mine off of an ANH E-11 kit. I modified it heavily to make it ROTJ. There aren't a whole lot of ROTJ resources out there. Your greatest hurdle will be sourcing the correct parts... the scope rail and scope are a challenge but resin versions do pop up on eBay on occasion.

The FISD will likely be your best chance at finding the ROTJ greeblies. Watch the sales areas and read through the ROTJ sub-forum. Research to find out where other ROTJ troopers found their parts.

Thanks, I had seen the Droopys kit, but as it's always called the ANH one, I just wondered if there was a different one available. Not entirely sure what a scope rail is, or why it's missing at this point, but the kits seems a reliable way to begin.

Thanks,

The ANH kit is based of a sterling L2 A3, which is great for ANH and ESB, but in ROTJ the blasters were based off of the Model Gun Corporation (MGC) sterling, which was a model of the Canadian Arms version of the sterling the C-1.

Depending on how closely you wanted the blaster to be (I.E. is close enough ok?) you could heavily modify a droopy kit. But the MGC is really different from an L2A3 once you start looking at the little details. Finding a MCG for less than $1500 is going to be tough. Actually finding one for $1500 is going to be tough.

Scifire still does a hyperfirm version which should be pretty darn good if its anything like the ANH version they do.

Greeblies are the litle add on things on the side of the blaster that serve no purpose other than to add interest to the gun. The door catch and hammers on the side of a ROTJ for instance.

I got my Greeblies from here and they are ok. ill look up the seller.

Edit: Smitty sells resin ROTJ greeblies.

Slavefive is the scifire guy http://www.sci-fire.com/

Edited by rhapsodyred99

I got my hammer greeblies from Smitty here on FISD. I grabbed the door catch, scope, and scope rail from PredAlien64 on eBay.

D-rings from Sonnenschein.

The forward D-ring holder and original front sight come from Blind Squirrel Props.

The U-track comes from TK-J.

The rest of the details were scratch-built by my brother in-law. All of this stuff was put onto a SR Props E-11 gun kit. SR Props is no longer in existance.

There's also a German guy named Kai that makes his own blasters, casting them from real parts that makes a nice ROTJ from resin and aluminum.

Loads to think about, thanks. I'm going to start with a doopy resin kit and I've found on these forums a metal scope rail, so that's a decent start.

Question. I know the gun isn't part of the 501st certifiction but, if you have one it has be to a certain standard, of course, the 1st grade of which is "Based on a real or replica Sterling sub-machine gun, scratch-built, or a modified commercial toy Stormtrooper blaster." - a pretty wide description really which I'm guessing even my basics will pass?

What a coincidence LoL, I just got back on the resin casting horse and posted a sale thread for some of these parts this morning. Have a look at em :duim:

I have an ongoing ROTJ E11 scratch build which you can see here ----------- might be worth shooting a pm to tango'd fett as he used to make the scope,rail & greeblies for rotj e11's

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

What a coincidence LoL, I just got back on the resin casting horse and posted a sale thread for some of these parts this morning. Have a look at em :duim:

Holy resurrection Batman - it's Smitty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where the heck you been?

Oh, and for an ROTJ E-11 I cheated and just emailed RogueTrooper... :-p

Be aware that hyperfirm will only get you to EI, not Centurion for the TKC. I say this as someone who has had hyperfirm weapons since 2006 and currently own 4 of them. The gotcha is the requirement for the folding stock. Shouldn't be an issue if you are doing any other trooper though.

Thanks for all the info. TBH as this is my first outing into costuming, I'm not sure I feel confident enough to go for centurion, anyway, although I do feel it's possible for the actual armour, I may let myself down on the gun which seems to be by far the most annoying part.

I am assuming here that grading can be upgraded at a later date, Ie i can submit for acceptance then expert then maybe even centurion.

Right now I'd be overjoyed with level 1 haha!

To be honest, if you are building your suit from kit it's a lot easier to make sure you get all the centurion things added than if you take an existing suit and try to modify it to work.

Locitus is 100% on that most of the things are super easy to add as you are building the suit. There are a few minor things you can do later, but the majority of the details you add are easy enough to plan into the build from the start.

• 2 weeks later...

I must admit after a lot of reading and comparison to my (recieved) Doopys kit, i feel like my greatest hurdle is the removal / grinding down the tracks along the barrel - not somehting I have any way to do at all currently, unless anyone knows of walk-in shops or the like that could do it?

So long as you get just the right OD pipe (and don't ask me what OD that is) you can still use parts from the Doopy's kit (though the more you learn about MGCs, the more you may not want L2A3 parts on a RotJ E-11 ;) )