Resin blaster paint question

Apone

I just got a resin blaster kit, and i want it weathered. Anyone have any tips on getting that banged around look with the blued paint looking chipped off? I was thinking a silver coat under and then painting a gun metal layer on top and possibly lightly sanding away the black layer on edges. Would this work or is there a better method?

I've used that method on an Airsoft gun. It looks O.K.

I put a light coat of silver paint first. Then after it dried, I put a couple layers of black paint. Then when that dried, I started to use sand paper to get down to the silver layer.

I think there is a better method out there somewhere.

You can just take an old sock dip it in silver paint and slide it and dab it on the areas that you would think would get dingged up more than others, such as the corners and such :) its easy his is a pic of my old kenner blaster...

7wpE8bK.jpg

My RC Pistol done in a similar fashion :)

TEW0TLI.jpg

some more pics...

FBT2R7Z.jpg

GRS6xMj.jpg

axTrGbI.jpg

When it comes to painting a weathered effect on blasters, less is more. The best method to use is called 'dry brushing'. Take your brush with silver paint on it, and rub it over a dry sponge until the sponge has removed most of the paint (and the brush seems dry), then lightly rub the brush over the surface of your blaster to be painted. what Will happen is that the corners and raised detail will pick up a light coat of sliver which will look like wear. You can repeat this process with a copper paint for the sight and Hengstler. Also, don't be scared to paint some areas flat black (such as the 'T' bar and grip), as this will add the effect of different materials (such as rubber and plastic), used in the blasters construction.

mVpabf6.jpghYrAqQ6.jpgomP1V1x.jpgogWdbDq.jpgRNLt03V.jpg

I have decided to try my own technique ( im sure others have too) I put two layers of metallic silver on all the parts and I am going to put on three layers of a flat black. After that has dried I am going to use a brillo pad and gently brush the areas i want worn. I hope this doesnt backfire in my face, cause in my head its going to look sweet.. lol

I would definitely test it on some random surface first, because if the black paint doesn't come off easily, or in patch, or in any other way that you didn't thought possible, you'll have one heck of a job removing 5 layers :)

you can always paint it silver and then put tooth paste on the areas that you want to show weathering, wait for the paint to dry and then scrub those area's off with soap and water :)

too late... lol 2 Layers of silver...two of black so far...i think im stipping there and trying it out with the brillo. If it looks like crap..i will take pics to put up so you can all get a chuckle.

I tried the same method -- 2 coats of nickel-metallic, and then two of flat black.

When I sanded it down, I didn't really get the results I wanted, and I ended up using a paper towel to dab the nickel on top of the black anyway.

So, basically, I put down some metallic primer. :P

I was in a hurry to get ready for a Make-A-Wish event when I made it, and I'm not the world's most patient guy to begin with, so you'll probably have better luck.

Worse-case scenerio, you'll have to do what I did.

And if you ever end up scratching it untentionally, you'll probably get a cool effect, seeing that you'll have plenty of layers to go through before the plastic will start showing.

As long as you're a decent painter and use thin coats, I don't see how you can go wrong.