Screen accurate vs 'reality' accurate

In the end FISD has to be the home to *all* 501st TK's, whether they barely meet the CRL or go Centurion.  In the end it's up to the suit owner to decide which way they want to go.  

Personally I am unbiased, I appreciate both the clean white TK that is as Eric mentioned, the acrylic cap TK as well as the person who is trying for a more used look.  

The goal of the 501st in the end is to capturing what a person sees while watching the movie, hence no gaffer's tape are allowed on approval costumes.  If you watch the movie on a big screen (e.g. movie theater), what one sees is that some TK's look super clean (Death Star) some not so much (Tantive IV).  I'm happy there are both. :)

Great points of view and very interesting ideas!

Love this kind of threads.

... the public may not KNOW, but they see...

This has to be one of the best and most clear ideas I have read or heard about this issue. 

Yes, they might not be experts in Stomrtrooper armor, but the public has eyes and know what they like, can compare and contrast and can feel, so how we represent and act the stormtrooper character does has different effects on them. Better or worse, thats something else.

The goal of the 501st in the end is to capturing what a person sees while watching the movie, hence no gaffer's tape are allowed on approval costumes...

Is this true?
Then, my game plan has changed...
I have not applied for EIB or Centurion since I wanted to apply with a finished replica suit. With all the detailing, prop forgery style. If gaffers tape is not approved, then I think I should post my submission as it is, and only after being cleared I will really finish my armor. 
I wanted to take my TK to a higher standard than my TD from the beginning... 

Is it time for a group hug yet?    :smiley-sw013:

LOL!

It is always time for beer... Er. I mean, for group hugs!

About some other ideas posted here, I understand where the whole idealized look comes from. Specially when so many troopers here have been in the armed forces and police for real. I understand and respect that. But then, and talking about fiction... for me being a Sandtrooper and being pointed at as the dirty guy is just too cool. In my experience, during troops Sandtroopers always get more attention than clean Stormtroopers, one on one and group vs group (Unless you have 10/1 TKs). Why? I guess because we look more extreme, meaner, bad guys among the bad guys. Our weapons are big, we have lots of gear and an armor with lots of character. We are proud, in a fictional way, of our back stories and combat scars. Not to mention the pride we take on the whole process we go through to make those armors in real life as a hobby.

Then again, in this bizarre world of fiction portraying real life, I do think that Sandtroopers are just Stormtroopers in combat gear. They are not wearing their base or gala uniforms, they are all loaded up to go to the field and combat. Just as real soldiers do. Actually, there is this back story supporting the idea that the sandtroopers seen on Tatooine looking for the droids, are the same guys taking over the Tantive IV. Just with more gear. And actually, if I remember that story correctly, the guy in back soft uniform is sent by Vader to personally oversee the mission, so we can asume that he is one of the TDs seen on Mos Eisley... That same story I think is where the whole Davin Felth mithology comes from.

So...

Anyway, Screen Accurate vs Reality Accurate... movies copy life that copy movies that copy life... 

Such a rich universe and such an awesome hobby.

I will keep on my replica style cause that is what I remember from SW, and what is in my mind after watching the movies thousands of times literally, and reading for hours and hours here and in so many other forums and sites.

Good there is place for everyone here!

Saludos

Edited by iconoclasta_88
  • Like 1

Daetrin, on 28 Oct 2014 - 12:52 PM, said:snapback.png

The goal of the 501st in the end is to capturing what a person sees while watching the movie, hence no gaffer's tape are allowed on approval costumes...

Is this true?
Then, my game plan has changed...
I have not applied for EIB or Centurion since I wanted to apply with a finished replica suit. With all the detailing, prop forgery style. If gaffers tape is not approved, then I think I should post my submission as it is, and only after being cleared I will really finish my armor. 
I wanted to take my TK to a higher standard than my TD from the beginning... 

Yes, this is true for every costume in the Legion, not just stormtroopers.  There has ever been a Venn diagram between the 501st and prop replication, but while the overlap is very large they are not concentric circles.

What you do with the costume after you get accepted is up to you, but realize that in order to keep the costume active it must comply with the CRL.

The Legion does not tolerate Vaders with crappy paint jobs after all, even though that may be what the actual prop looked like. 

Awesome. Thx Paul.

I read something like this some years ago, and have asked this same question a couple of times before but never had a clear answer. Maybe I did not ask a clear question... being the gaffers tape the most visible detail that goes farther than weathering.

And now that I have started dealing with a character different from a Sandtrooper, I can see why the SWAT program was so polemic when confronting it's standard to the CRL. I still think the detachment excellency programs should not be included on the CRLs, but oh well.

We die hard TDs are too much into screen accuracy off the set vs off the screen. But thats where our pad has taken us.

That does not necessarily mean that is the pad the Legion most follow. Actually, I don't think I would like that. :)

Thx for the clarification and back to topic.

Saludos my friend.

Edited by iconoclasta_88

Wow, this IS an old thread! :D 

I still prefer to look like I walked off the screen, not the set. I'm not into the acrylic-capped or screen-used look. But that's just me and my one opinion. I have had to ditch the S-trim and I have gone back to regularly wearing Nomex gloves with Karin's rubber hand plates; that just became a functional requirement for trooping often.

Over the years my energy has waned for caring. Generally speaking, while my attention to detail is still high, my tolerance of variations is also high. I love my TK buddies, the people inside the costumes, more than I care about their suits and whether or not they are screen or set accurate.

:D GROUP JELLY ROLL :D

• 2 weeks later...

Personal preference is definitely the key in this topic, without a doubt.

I have so many Star Wars project builds going right now, I almost can't keep them straight, but one of my recent projects needed a new bucket, so I sprung for one, and was a little disappointed when the box arrived.

Now, I am one of the "Off the screen" folks, with that being said, when inspecting the recently received contents and parts, I was disappointed when I discovered the lumpy bucket part. I thought I got a bad batch or flawed product, upon emailing the manufacturer, I was notified that it was a newer..screen-accurate mold that was now being used and recently put into production and that's how it is. No offer to refund, just a "if you want smooth, go with somebody else."

So I guess this one project will have shiny, polished armor, with a lumpy bucket. My preference is "Off the screen" but I am now having to learn to try to see the "Off the set" look. -Or a combo of both together.

I totally understand how some want "exactly screen accurate replication", I really do. I am that way with some things in this hobby, and most things with everything else, but this subject just boils down to personal preference / no wrong answer.

(The first time a child says; "Why is that helmet so bumpy", it's going on the shelf or up for sale! Lol

Edited by Izzy

(The first time a child says; "Why is that helmet so bumpy", it's going on the shelf or up for sale! Lol

I don`t think that will happen. But, you never know, kids say what they see.

:)

Saludos

• Like 1

Personal preference is definitely the key in this topic, without a doubt.

I have so many Star Wars project builds going right now, I almost can't keep them straight, but one of my recent projects needed a new bucket, so I sprung for one, and was a little disappointed when the box arrived.

Now, I am one of the "Off the screen" folks, with that being said, when inspecting the recently received contents and parts, I was disappointed when I discovered the lumpy bucket part. I thought I got a bad batch or flawed product, upon emailing the manufacturer, I was notified that it was a newer..screen-accurate mold that was now being used and recently put into production and that's how it is. No offer to refund, just a "if you want smooth, go with somebody else."

So I guess this one project will have shiny, polished armor, with a lumpy bucket. My preference is "Off the screen" but I am now having to learn to try to see the "Off the set" look. -Or a combo of both together.

I totally understand how some want "exactly screen accurate replication", I really do. I am that way with some things in this hobby, and most things with everything else, but this subject just boils down to personal preference / no wrong answer.

I feel you! I must say though, that it looks much much better once it's fully built. One of the problems I have found in myself and have seen over time here is we spend way too much time really nit picking the small details in a build. If your goal is to be set accurate, toss it together and go, like they did in production. Screen accurate is just about the same!

Those small details we nitpick in our builds are for the most part invisible once the kit is built. Making sure you have a nice straight line when cutting the halves to clam together is good, but not required (now don't go and get it all wavy though!) since it is hidden under the coverstrip. Small imperfections are what makes us perfect.

I think the helmet is like that as well. Sure kids see a lot! I think that this detail when added to the other details will be pretty invisible when couples with the rest of the detailing and the awe of the trooper in front of the kid.

If a kid does notice it, tell him he has a good eye and that your helmet was created from a helmet they used in the movie! Then point him out to an officer for detainment and future recruitment! We need people in the Empire who have an eye for details!

• Like 1

I feel you! I must say though, that it looks much much better once it's fully built.

Yeah Dday, that's kind of the conclusion I came to. Comparing it to my other buckets and Garrison mates' buckets, it just looked terrible. But assembled and polished up might not be so bad.

Thanks for the reply!

• 1 month later...

Being totally new to this, this thread stood out at me. A couple of weeks ago I knew nothing about the helmet differences between films and thought they were all the same.

I've just built a screen accurate ROTJ helmet with a view to getting the full armour and then 501 clearance, and one of the first things my wife said was "a couple of your stickers are a bit creased",

Me - yeah it's supposed to be like that

Her - and how much was it....are you sure they aren't having you on?

I like it, but yeah, part of me does feel it's a hell of cash of a lot for a wonky shaped helmet and iffy stickers.

I can see that it looks right though and the general public wouldn't notice anything, but it's definitely not what the real empire would make.

I'm thinking of getting a master replica one for my main and use this just to get clearance and for display.

I'm thinking of getting a master replica one for my main and use this just to get clearance and for display.

Stay away from the master replica one even if you are looking for something "clean".

Being totally new to this, this thread stood out at me. A couple of weeks ago I knew nothing about the helmet differences between films and thought they were all the same.

I've just built a screen accurate ROTJ helmet with a view to getting the full armour and then 501 clearance, and one of the first things my wife said was "a couple of your stickers are a bit creased",

Me - yeah it's supposed to be like that

Her - and how much was it....are you sure they aren't having you on?

I like it, but yeah, part of me does feel it's a hell of cash of a lot for a wonky shaped helmet and iffy stickers.

I can see that it looks right though and the general public wouldn't notice anything, but it's definitely not what the real empire would make.

Stay away from the master replica one even if you are looking for something "clean".

Completely agree. The MR just doesn't look right.

You can get some helmet kits or built helmets around from good makers which also look clean and nicely done.

Look into a TM helmet kit, he will even do a build for you, it will look fantastic! PM TrooperMaster here.

This is my typical pose for when I troop and have my picture take. So this is what anyone attending any one of my troops will take home and look at and show other people of what they did at the weekend. What do you see?

whnRqii.jpg

Edited by Sly11
Edited to restore the image by Sly11, 2020
  • Like 2

I see tape :D

But it is still a stormtrooper.

The difference comes when people start to look at the piece in detail vs just taking in the general look. They all look like a stormtrooper though.

:D ....."use this just to get clearance",

Arrhh, the old 'Twitch-hah-roo' trick hey?, let's hope that one of the UKG's GML's (now I wonder who that could be? m1726.gif ) hasn't seen that comment and you succeed in your devilishly, and somewhat CUNNING, plan.

rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

lol. Well to be honest, now I've actually finished my lid exterior (did all the paint today) my opinion has changed quite a bit. its amazing how much adding the frown and vocoder changes the look and makes it all look much cooler 

Ive enjoyed doing it too.

• 2 months later...

Personally, I'm all for prop forgery. I just love the mojo of the originals, and if I can capture some of it in my replicas, I'm happy.

However, I do differentiate between 501st/costuming and props/replication, and realise they're not entirely compatible.

Yet my RS PVC trooping suit is a pretty accurate build, it's not all clean either, trying to capture the Tantive IV look - I guess a lot of you would already put it in the prop replica category.

But I know there's still a lot of room for improvement, been collecting parts for a proper replica for years now.

So while some of you "idealists" would shake your head seeing my trooping suit, my "extremist" self isn't exactly happy with it yet. It's fine for trooping, but it's not my ultimate suit.

It all comes down to Obi Wan: it's all true, from a certain point of view ;)

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...