TIE pilot helmet repair help.

Fellow members, i have a build/repair question for you. I recently got an Imperial TIE Pilot helmet, and it is in need of a repair. It's one of those harder cast vinyl ones that Lucas authorized. I want to say its a Don Post, but am unsure. It has a crack in the lower rim, running up beside the one earpiece. Also, the rim is slightly curled under and may need reinforced.

Do you have advice on how to repair these, or know anyone who could repair it for a fee? I want it done so I can repaint and detail it up a bit. Please let me know if you have any thoughts on this, and please drop me an email so I can discuss with you.

Thanks again, and I look forward to hearing from you. Any help or info of someone who can fix this lid is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

NewTrooper2.

Find out what material it actually is, locate an apropriate epoxy or glue, and reinforce from inside with like material. Once you pull it back into shape and make the structural repair you may come back and rework it cosmeticaly. I can tell you E-6000 can react with certain poly products and actually melt them. Whatever material you try out, it's best to do a test on something you can spare to lose if it fails. :duim:

Thanks for the advise Scootch. I got the helmet for a good price and really hope to get it looking presentable again. I've seen others on the site, so I figured I would throw it out there to see if anyone had experience with these beasties. I know it's different than the material my trooper lid is made of, and I'm pretty sure it's a hard injection molded or cast vinyl. Someone suggested bondo, but I've never used that, so I'm kinda unsure of its properties.

If I cant fix it, I am hoping a fellow trooper with material experience might be able to at least do the repair and straightening, and then I'll do my paint and detail job I have planned.

Oh well, the search continues. Thanks again for the advice. That's what makes this site great. "Fellow Troopers helping others".

Sincerely,

NewTrooper2.

Fellow members, i have a build/repair question for you. I recently got an Imperial TIE Pilot helmet, and it is in need of a repair. It's one of those harder cast vinyl ones that Lucas authorized. I want to say its a Don Post, but am unsure. It has a crack in the lower rim, running up beside the one earpiece. Also, the rim is slightly curled under and may need reinforced.

Do you have advice on how to repair these, or know anyone who could repair it for a fee? I want it done so I can repaint and detail it up a bit. Please let me know if you have any thoughts on this, and please drop me an email so I can discuss with you.

Thanks again, and I look forward to hearing from you. Any help or info of someone who can fix this lid is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

NewTrooper2.

Visit the jrs forums and ask. They have tutorials on this type of repairs, there are to th best of my knowledge to types of vinyl helmets out there: Don Post and Rubies, the dp is marked on the inside of the helmet. To strengthen the helmet I would try the t-shirt and superglue trick,and to get the shape right a heatgun with adjustable temperature is recommended. But as I said, check out the jrs.

Rivera

Visit the jrs forums and ask. They have tutorials on this type of repairs, there are to th best of my knowledge to types of vinyl helmets out there: Don Post and Rubies, the dp is marked on the inside of the helmet. To strengthen the helmet I would try the t-shirt and superglue trick,and to get the shape right a heatgun with adjustable temperature is recommended. But as I said, check out the jrs.

Rivera

Thanks Stein,

I've never used but have hear about the t-shirt technique. I may have to research and try that. It is a DP helmet, of that I am sure. Hopefully I can try a few methods out on something first and then attempt to get this lid fixed and ready for painting. The help is GREATLY appreciated! This is a far cry from assembling my trooper helmet. I thought that was going to be difficult, but it was fun to do!

Sincerely,

NewTrooper2