Viper's ATA Build Thread [*ATA]

Well I received my armor last week and have been obsessively working on it. Here are some progress pics:

Just like a kid at Christmas:

IMG_20120713_170803.jpg

This was a little overwhelming to look at

IMG_20120713_172112.jpg

Here is my trusty dremel mounted to a metal shelf

IMG_20120715_135222.jpg

I started getting my feet wet by trimming some of the larger pieces

IMG_20120714_170908.jpg

IMG_20120715_135230.jpg

Then some smaller pieces

IMG_20120715_135215.jpg

Then I got to work on my bucket

IMG_20120714_144028.jpg

bath time!

IMG_20120715_160454.jpg

Did some strapping

IMG_20120718_081404.jpg

After that I started painting the helmet. I did the inside flat black. I didn't do the sides yet in this pic b/c I put E-6000 over the cut bolts to cover any sharp ends and it had to dry. Notice I made the rear vents functional. I have a feeling I will be happy with that decision.

IMG_20120718_081425.jpg

Then I got to work on the outside. I decided to paint everything. After the traps, I hand cut some templates for the blue vents

IMG_20120718_164815.jpg

Here it is after painting

IMG_20120718_164823.jpg

The painter's tape didn't leave clean lines and a lot bled through the edges so I had to sit for a couple hours with an exacto knife and carefully scrape away the excess.

Here is the mostly finished helmet

IMG_20120718_181559.jpg

The ear pieces aren't trimmed perfectly, but hey it is my first time :)

Since then I have added velcro strips inside for mounting fans and padding. I bought industrial velcro. I like it a lot because the hook side isn't scratchy to the feel. The glue on the back is extremely strong too! I used headliner material to make my neck seal and had a ton left over so I started making padding out of that. I am an extremely picky person and I want the inside of my helmet to look really professional. I also got a couple squirrel fans and 9 volt switched battery holders. I was very heavily inspired by James' post in the "What's in the bucket?" thread. His helmet is so nice inside. I just need to get a couple of those Imperial stickers for the fans lol.

As for the progress on the rest so far, I made my cloth belt and have all parts trimmed except for the arm and leg pieces. Will post more pictures as time goes on!

I got my TK boots in the mail this week and they fit so well! I am gellin' in them and loving it!

I am waiting for my ata suit to come in but I have my helmet completed. I had to do the same thing with the blue stripes. I am glad to see that I am not the only one who had to do that.

Where did you go for the shoes? That's the one thing that I am not sure where to get them. I am playing the waiting game for for just about everything else.

Nice work! You're getting a lot done quickly! I'm working on an ATA build too and at the rate I can get on it it's taking me months! Great job Trooper!

:jc_doublethumbup:

Nice work! What was your process for cutting out the rear vents on your bucket? I had that on my FX and it was indeed a lifesaver. However, how I cut them they ended up bigger and fewer; absolutely not close to screen accurate. :)

I am waiting for my ata suit to come in but I have my helmet completed. I had to do the same thing with the blue stripes. I am glad to see that I am not the only one who had to do that.

Where did you go for the shoes? That's the one thing that I am not sure where to get them. I am playing the waiting game for for just about everything else.

tkboots.com. Excellent quality and great price! They run slightly big. I wear a 10 or a 10.5 shoe and I ordered a 10 (they only do full sizes) and they fit very well with insoles.

Nice work! You're getting a lot done quickly! I'm working on an ATA build too and at the rate I can get on it it's taking me months! Great job Trooper!

:jc_doublethumbup:

Thanks! I am hoping to have it done for Celebration VI. I am hoping to join the 501st and get inspected while I'm down there.

Nice work! What was your process for cutting out the rear vents on your bucket? I had that on my FX and it was indeed a lifesaver. However, how I cut them they ended up bigger and fewer; absolutely not close to screen accurate. :)

I masked the area with tape and then drew the outline of the trap and then drew slots on the tape. That way I could correct it if necessary. After that, I took my dremel with the cutting wheel and went straight down from above until the cut was almost the length of the diameter of the disc.

Inside of helmet. There is also a ring of velcro around the bottom for battery packs, etc. The round pad is just an experiment for the moment. Gonna make a bigger one plus several more for the front, back, and sides

IMG_20120720_130559.jpg

Thanks for the info about the shoes!

I like the idea with the rear vents but I was wondering if that is ok for 501st requirements and how are you going to make sure it stays black and doesn't show your hair through the hole?

Holy cow you said "overwhelming" and then dove straight in and tackled that thing down! :salute:

I like the idea with the rear vents but I was wondering if that is ok for 501st requirements and how are you going to make sure it stays black and doesn't show your hair through the hole?

It'll be dark in there. Or he could cover it with screen or thin mesh fabric.

Thanks for the info about the shoes!

I have short black hair so it shouldn't be an issue. Also I believe requirements allow it. When I painted the inside I made sure to get between the fins so they are nice and dark.

Gazmosis does the same thing to his rear traps, then he installs two fans to pull the hot air out of the lid. He says it works great. Here's his Centurion application thread, they commented that it needed to be really dark but they had no problem with it in the end.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=18984

I'd love to do it myself on mine but I don't trust myself and my Dremel skills to cut into the lid like that! :P

Have gotten some more done.

Got all my parts trimmed and ready for assembly for the thermal detonator. Had to buy a 10' condiut just for a 7 1/4" long piece lol

IMG_20120725_194014.jpg

After test fitting and then having a nightmare of a time removing the endcaps, I cut notches into the pipe for easier removal. They are still tight and won't need to be glued though.

IMG_20120725_202453.jpg

All done!

IMG_20120725_213130.jpg

Also got the belt assembled. Haven't closed the backs of the ammo boxes yet, but when I try for EIB I will.

IMG_20120724_224534.jpg

Still need to rivet the sides of the ab and kidney plates and make & mount a holster but once I do that, the head and torso are done!

Edited by Viper

As has been said, great work so far.

501st approval is actually granted by the local Garrison Membership Liason (GML). There will be plenty of FISD members at C6 who can give you a lookover, but you'll have to go to your local garrison for the final OK.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I've been working hard trying to get this ready for CVI. The helmet is complete, inside and out. I finished my padding and got my fan installed. I had to put it behind the vocoder because it wouldn't fit behind the teeth. I guess my head is kinda big.

IMG_20120811_160102.jpg

IMG_20120811_160124.jpg

I got the arms done. One forearm is tighter than the other, but I will fix that later.

IMG_20120811_160256.jpg

The torso is painted and strapped.

IMG_20120811_160321.jpg

IMG_20120811_160346.jpg

The belt is done. I made the belt and the holster from scratch. I even had to dye the leather! The drop boxes are missing because I decided to close the backs now rather than later.

IMG_20120811_160437.jpg

IMG_20120811_160446.jpg

The way things are going, everything but the gloves should be up to Centurion quality. I am using nomex gloves with the ABS hand guards at the moment, and I know both will have to be changed before applying. I have to replace the straps over the shoulder with white elastic, but I'm going to remeasure them first before I make them. I tried the torso on and when I move, the chest piece keeps pulling above the ab piece and won't stay down and over it.

All in all, this is what I have left to do:

1. Close the thighs and add finishing strips on back.

2. Add velcro to back of shins.

3. Add knee guard.

4. Add ammo belt.

5. Strap thighs to cod piece.

6. Glue drop boxes to belt.

7. Clean up leg joints.

8. Mount the Aker and iComm to the inside of the chest, figure out best way to wire them.

9. Replace shoulder straps with white elastic.

10. Get a case and helmet bag.

This should all be doable by the 20th, right? I won't have a blaster with me, but oh well.

Edited by Viper

Wow!!! That was a turbo build! Nice work! I think you may need to adjust the back. The back plate should meet the kidney, you have quite a bit of space there. Great job though!

Yeah that gap is pretty bad. But looking at the shoulders, I have a lot of room to move the back piece down and still have the shoulder straps overlap the back piece. I should at least be able to halve the gap doing that. I am really pushing the height limit on this armor I think. But the rest of the gaps don't seem too bad, right?

Guess I gotta go buy some more snaps and 2" elastic. Ugh I've spent so much money on snaps. I wish I could go a month back in time and tell myself to just go to Tandy and get a 100 pack of snaps. I would probably tell myself more things too.

Man! I said the same exact thing! After spending a fortune at Jo-Ann on those expensive Dritz when I saw how much a bag of 100 was I kicked myself in the behind for not getting them instead!

Man! I said the same exact thing! After spending a fortune at Jo-Ann on those expensive Dritz when I saw how much a bag of 100 was I kicked myself in the behind for not getting them instead!

No kidding! Plus they are only $24 this week.