How do you travel with your armor?

Not sure that this is the correct forum to ask in, but how do you travel with your armor? A big bag? Do you wrap up the pieces in any particular way? Do you use some sort of hard sided case or a big box? Trying to wrap my head around this.

Photos of your set-up would be appreciated. . . .

I can't do photos right now, but I use a 45 gallon wheeled tote from lowes. I had been using a 50 gallon Rubbermaid tote from Walmart with a tiny set of small built in wheels, but the wheels were way to small and there was no handles to speak of. The lowes one has got I think 5 inch wheels. And nice big front and back handles through the lid, and 4 latches (or flip up locks) around the lid.

Inside I start by flipping my ab section over and putting it it (ab,butt,and belt) inside that I put my chest and back, inside that go my shoulders. Next to all the go my theighs inside those go my calfs inside those go my forearms. (still filling me? I'm almost done) that leaves enough room in my tote for my helmet (wrapped in a blanket) inside my helmet is my hand plates and gloves, also my speaker box and mic. Under my helmet on either side of the box are my boots. Then on top I can still fit my pauldron, blaster w/holster, electrobinoculars, emergency repair kit, kilt (for ktb) extra socks, my battle skirt/jacket, my tk light saber, and my under suits (I carry 2 cause I can get stuck at some cold troops). The only thing that doesnt fit right now is my 8' dewback prod, but that splits in half and I strap it to the top.

That was a mouthful, I hope that helped a little. If I can when I get to my computer I will try and upload some pics of my tote. Get 45 gallon or bigger, and tall not short and long.

Many of us use the infamous 50-gal Stanley bin. Wheels and handles are very helfpul. Some people can find these at Home Depot though my local HD didn't have them and didn't know what I was talking about (in Los Angeles no less!) so I ordered one for about $90 (free shipping) on Amazon and it appeared on my porch 2 days later.

-------------

Many use a lot of variations of it, smaller ones, etc. (like Ben describes). Some use rubbermaid bins and a small portable hand truck and some bungee cords.

Some can pack theirs in a large, hard-sided suitcase. Some guys even pack it in a particular golf bag, though those of us who have never seen it are baffled...

Some guys use hockey bags or large gear bags, though I wouldn't recommend it if you intend to keep your TK shiny.

I layer my armor with remnants of fleece so they dont' bump and scratch, and lined the bottom of the Stanley with 1" apholstery foam.

And of course, this baby is designed to replace the Stanley label, and is so cool that I got myself one complete with the two most important images: my beloved FISD emblem, and my garrison.

I hope that helps!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

Right now, I don't have my handy-dandy tote. It's back in America sadly. So I pack everything into the biggest suitcase I have and carry my bucket and small/bendable parts (shoulder straps, holster, etc.) Anything that can fit in my helmet bag.

I'm preparing for CVI, and this is how my armor will fly:

xREiN4y.jpg

I still got room in there for clothing and shoes. I may add another blaster in it too... What I need is Star Wars stickers and Stormtrooper images to stick on it so that the airline security doesn't flag the bin for a thorough search :rolleyes:

Edited by Sly11
Edited to restore the image by Sly11, 2020

Someone mentioned and emergency repair kit. I will need to take one of those with I am sure. What do you all put in such a kit? Right now I'm thinking that some white duct tape and maybe plastic weld with magnets - there are more things I should consider. . . just not thinking of them yet.

Someone mentioned and emergency repair kit. I will need to take one of those with I am sure. What do you all put in such a kit? Right now I'm thinking that some white duct tape and maybe plastic weld with magnets - there are more things I should consider. . . just not thinking of them yet.

I just got my Stanley tote and started putting my emergency repair kit together for it. So far I have included:

white duct tape

black & white industrial velcro (left over from build)

extra elastic snap strips (from build) - for various places in armor, as well as a pair of white elastic to connect chest/back

super glue

old tube of E6000

pair of 3/4" clamps

scissors

exacto knife (and spare blades)

foam pieces

double sided tape

alcohol wipes

zip ties

I also have a pack of gum and bottle opener, and will probably find an inexpensive multi-tool/leatherman. It all fits in a gallon ziploc which sits in the tool tray that comes with the Stanley. I'll also put together a checklist (like the one posted above) along with an emergency contact/medical info list.

Edited by boomshakra

I just got my Stanley tote and started putting my emergency repair kit together for it. So far I have included:

white duct tape

black & white industrial velcro (left over from build)

extra elastic snap strips (from build) - for various places in armor, as well as a pair of white elastic to connect chest/back

super glue

old tube of E6000

pair of 3/4" clamps

scissors

exacto knife (and spare blades)

foam pieces

double sided tape

alcohol wipes

zip ties

I also have a pack of gum and bottle opener, and will probably find an inexpensive multi-tool/leatherman. It all fits in a gallon ziploc which sits in the tool tray that comes with the Stanley. I'll also put together a checklist (like the one posted above) along with an emergency contact/medical info list.

Thanks - sounds like a great start. There are a lot of things in there that I wouldn't have thought of.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

To travel to CIV from Australia I used a a large, expandable heavy duty case.

It fit my whole TK commander inside, including the helmet.

M5E05mG.jpg7DxPs8t.jpg

Dimensions (metric) are as follows;

External - 80.8 x 52.3 x 37.5 + 7 (cm)

Internal - 73.5 x 50 x 34 + 7 (cm)

Weight- 6.1 (kg)

Capacity- 151 (Litres)

Edited by Sly11

Any suggestions on storage options under 62 linear inches (that's L+W+H). Need it to save money on airplane baggage charges.

I found a big black plastic box in the automotive section at Wal-Mart for $17. It's so generic it didn't even have a brand name. I picked it because the size came out to just under the airline charges for oversized luggage. The dimensions were roughly 18x13x32(somewhere around 33 gallons), which I figured would be small enough for me to argue my way into not being charged double. With some very careful packing I can get my armor + blaster inside, but not the helmet.

Unfortunately during several packs and re-packs it occurred to me that should TSA ever open my case, there is no way they will be as careful with my armor as I am. Everything will likely be crammed back in and slammed shut. The idea gives me cold sweats, so I'll soon be springing for something with some extra room inside.

For a hundred bucks or two the stanley bin is a great deal and should be acquired sooner or later. The adequate size bin for a TK is narrower than a hard suitcase for the same purpose so you can fit two in a car luggage area or back seat, side by side without stacking.

But when traveling by plane I don't like the attention you get from being the only passenger out of thousands who brings a sort of toolbox full of probable demolition gear lol My sis took her bin on a plane 3 times (international flights) and got her bin checked once, so the padlocks were busted and luckily the content wasn't thoroughly browsed in a way that would ultimately result in contents missing (if they take everything out and they don't have the time to fit everything back in, it's the insurance department's problem and yours). 1 incident out of 3 opportunities and more people complaining on Facebook after CVI (but that is most likely due to the cheap airline, not the bin) got me thinking.

So I'll keep using the largest Samsonite hard suitcase I could find, helmet is carried as accessory. And "blend in". One 3-digits code lock and two key-locks on sides for which I lost the keys.

detail_spinner_samsonite_f_lite_young_766.jpeg

622511_10150985468378870_1525613563_o.jpg

Russian doll style :rolleyes:

Other accessories I can fit in there: 3 pairs of trousers, sweaters and t-shirts, multi-tool, yards of velcro of all types, webbing straps, e6k, 2pt epoxy, snaps, duct tape, hygiene stuff, socks, spare underarmors, women leggings for summer troops, bandaids, favorite jacket, costume electronics. Total weight: 22kg (48.5lbs). Below the passenger limit for most international airlines.

Edited by Nicky

On 9/11/2012 at 4:16 AM, Kyro said:

I found a big black plastic box in the automotive section at Wal-Mart for $17. It's so generic it didn't even have a brand name. I picked it because the size came out to just under the airline charges for oversized luggage. The dimensions were roughly 18x13x32(somewhere around 33 gallons), which I figured would be small enough for me to argue my way into not being charged double. With some very careful packing I can get my armor + blaster inside, but not the helmet.

Unfortunately during several packs and re-packs it occurred to me that should TSA ever open my case, there is no way they will be as careful with my armor as I am. Everything will likely be crammed back in and slammed shut. The idea gives me cold sweats, so I'll soon be springing for something with some extra room inside.

I fit my entire set of gear, including the helmet in a bin the same size as this. The contico one like this:

rFe4LWA.jpg

It actually says on it that its airline standard size acceptable.I had the same fear as you though...if they were to open it, they would just shove it back in there. I shipped mine to C6 via UPS. My inlaws have a business account so i used that and being im on the east coast, it was only 27 bucks each way.

Edited by Sly11

On 9/12/2012 at 12:18 AM, Darth Voorhees said:

I fit my entire set of gear, including the helmet in a bin the same size as this. The contico one like this:

rFe4LWA.jpg

It actually says on it that its airline standard size acceptable.I had the same fear as you though...if they were to open it, they would just shove it back in there. I shipped mine to C6 via UPS. My inlaws have a business account so i used that and being im on the east coast, it was only 27 bucks each way.

Did you ship it to the hotel itself? Where did you go to pick it up?

Clark Howard had mentioned some time ago that he ships his luggage, rather than paying the airline fees. I'm intrigued by the idea.

Edited by Sly11

• 4 years later...