TK CrowBoots, making of: the new project from Crow62 (CT6244)

Looking better :)

I Know this is not the final product, but I don't know about that pebble grain texture. The leather needs to look smoother.

I'd kind of prefer two pull straps instead of velcro, but that's just me.

Yes, the grain texture leather was only for the test, I will make in flat leather , the velcro portion is sewed to a same size thick leather, so, you will can tight with tranquility the velcro to put inside your foot, basically I added the velcro portion to add an stormtrooper dedication, after all, the more upper section keeps under the armor and I wanted that hided portion must to be useful adding the velcro.

Edited by crow62

I like the addition of the velcro pull strap. It can be used as a pull strap for getting the boot on, and keeps someone who wants to velcro their shin to the boot from having to find a way to attach it themselves. Win/Win

Crow,

Looking good so far... They really seem to have the basic original shape. but I'll let the DO and the armorers weight in with a more detailed opinion.

TwoBoots_zps5c615cb4.jpg

There are three little things that seem different, but they're minor.

First is that the vertical seam under the elastic is more centered on the elastic in the original boots. Second the elastic type is different (again very minor.) And last is the U shape of the bottom of the elastic doesn't quite match.... or it could be the way the boot sits.

I wouldn't mind seeing a top down view as well.

Regardless... I think you have a totally serviceable boot.

Aloha,

-Eric

Aloha too Eric, its funny see you have now 1962 posts in your comment, 1962, my year birth, that has to be a good premonition, LOL!!

I think I will keep the velcro portion as a "personnal mark" dedicated to my fellows troopies in my Gio´s boots.

Thanks guys and gal for the nice comments, the minor details wil be corrected in the production, let me tell you that the more harder part in the design is to make the frontal piece, seamless and curved, here the process:

First we have to create the curve, each size has a different one:

Foto0053_zps019f304e.jpg

You can see here both parts to be curved, the cow and the pig leather (pig inside cow outside of course, LOL):

Foto0051_zpsccc3cf2c.jpg

The machine that make the curved surface is called "cambriadora" use pneumatic and hight temperature to tense and heat the leather, we need to wait 30 or more minutes to reach the desired temperature before start to work.

Excuse the orientation and the bad quality of the video

th_Video0000_zps2da37552.jpg

and here the piece after get out of the machine

Foto0054_zpsffd24920.jpg

Finished 7 test curves for every size, time to translate in cut dies for all the range size (the more expensive part)

Foto0055_zps2c7598ae.jpg

The cow leather has to be 1.8mm or more thicker to support high temperature and pressure on the forming machine, is a big single piece and as all genuine leather comes with marks, scratchs, and an specific tension surface direction, etc, for each portion used, a similar size portion is rejected cause deffects, that is the difference in costs between natural and faux leather.

The left process of production can be viewed in the first posts of this thread, just I wanted to show you this very important part of the making of.

Cheers

Giovanni

Edited by crow62

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add an observation that I have had looking at many different type of boots used outside of the original is that the boots seem to look as though they have a steel toe. And you can see what I am talking about in the above illustration, is this something that is just accepted today? Or perhaps something that is too much to in effort or process to match? I know attention is given to the shape and texture of the webbing used but how about the shape of the toe? Just my two cents. ;)

Cheers!

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

MIA? Sorry I don't understand that acronym. About the boots my major issue is I can make only up to 9US size there is not big molds for this soles in my country

MIA - Missing In Action, meaning maybe you disappeared since there have been no updates recently.