Want to buy a replica Sterling L2A3?

@ stormy320 a little history on a great gun with a great service history.

Sterling submachine gun

300px-Sterling_SMG.JPG

Sterling L2A3 (Mark 4) submachine gun Type Submachine gun Place of origin 22px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.pngUnited Kingdom Service history Used by See Users Wars World War II

Suez crisis

Aden Emergency

Borneo Confrontation

Cold War

Vietnam War

Falklands War

Northern Ireland

Gulf War (final batch) Production history Designed 1944 Variants See Variants Specifications Weight 2.7 kg (empty) Length 686 mm (481 mm folded stock) Barrel length 196 mm Cartridge 9×19mm Parabellum

7.62×51mm NATO (Battle Rifle variant) Action Blowback

Lever-delayed blowback (Battle Rifle variant) Rate of fire 550 round/min Effective range 200 m (50–100 m suppressed) Feed system 34 round box magazine

30 round L4 BREN magazine (Battle Rifle variant)

Edited by Krazy Ivan

I don't get why people would like this gun so much to pay $12k.

It wasn't in a major war that I know of. It's too heavy and outdated.

However, makes a killer space gun!

The Sterling has a great service record, like you can see shown above by Krazy Ivan.

The Sterling has a great service record, like you can see shown above by Krazy Ivan.

I'm not being confrontational, but compared to an MP5 I really don't get the appeal.

It's awkward and too heavy.

However, I've never shot one before so I'm not the best judge.

It can't be considered to awkward or heavy as it was the weapon of chose for British & Australian SAS and depending on the model MP5 they weigh from 2LBs to 3.4 LBs, and yes these special force teams like all special forces have moved to the newer sub-machine guns as technlogy gets better.

Why drive a 64 VW bettle when you can drive a 2012 mustang.

But all in all i would still love to own one.

Edited by Krazy Ivan

I'm not being confrontational, but compared to an MP5 I really don't get the appeal.

It's awkward and too heavy.

However, I've never shot one before so I'm not the best judge.

No worries. Granted, the MP5 is a great weapon, but it wasn't standard issue to brittish troops. So the stirling would go wherever they went. Not all guns need to be light or compact to be a good weapon. While I have never used either of them, I have used the Swedish AK-5 which weighs in at 9 lbs with ammo. Not light, not short, and it only had iron sights (it has been updated and modernized since) but it was still a great rifle. Good accuracy, insensitive to dirt, robust and very easy to clean.

Service weapons are selected by other merits than what most normal people would look at.

I have shot the Sterling full auto once, in NC, and it struck me as a solid and reliable weapon. But put my feet to the fire and I'll take the Kriss Super V any day of the week over ANY subgun out there!

kriss_super_v.jpg

Edited by Evilboy

I don't get why people would like this gun so much to pay $12k.

It wasn't in a major war that I know of. It's too heavy and outdated.

However, makes a killer space gun!

Got me through the Falklands conflict so I can`t complain sure $12K LOL wow but $12K you pay that for a smuge (Sterling SMG)

It can't be considered to awkward or heavy as it was the weapon of chose for British & Australian SAS and depending on the model MP5 they weigh from 2LBs to 3.4 LBs, and yes these special force teams like all special forces have moved to the newer sub-machine guns as technlogy gets better.

Why drive a 64 VW bettle when you can drive a 2012 mustang.

But all in all i would still love to own one.

Also besides SAS it was standard issue to British troops from MP`S to tank crews ,to signalers to engineers nice bit of kit but a gun which cost about 10 bob and a conker to build it was my favourite rather than lugging about the SLR at the time big long and darned heavy yep for choice Sterling for me

further on the sterling what I can remember for the 80`s Known less-than-affectionately as the Small Metal Gun and a horrible piece of tat,( trash cheap,nasty) especially when combined with the seriously pee-poor ammunition issued in the 80s.the popular veiwing sport at the time was to watch the bullet trickle out of the worn-out rifling and plummet to earth somewhere between 10 and 20 metres downrange. if ever they made it.

An amusing quirk was the tendency for the thing to go off if dropped.very scary indeed but in all I still loved it Deeply horrible but, somehow, quintessentially British Army. After much use and abuse by the British Army squaddies

some of these went on to future fame and stardom in the Star Wars movies. They were the firearm of choice for the Imperial troops. Used with the butt folded away and firing lasers they still couldn't hit a target at 5 feet distance. seems the stormtroopers had the same problem as us squaddies but it did look cool and even cooler on stormtroopers

An amusing quirk was the tendency for the thing to go off if dropped.very scary indeed but in all I still loved it Deeply horrible but, somehow, quintessentially British Army.

Isn't that quite a common problem with open bolt SMG's?

So was my reply :)

I think his Elvistrooper is sweet, hey, Elvis is everywhere and everything, why not a stormtrooper. There had to be some entertainment on the deathstar, I'm sure!