New AM Armor Build [*AM]

Vader Rocks

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Frank. So the plate doesn't need to fit down in cavity on ab plate?? I've used only E-6000 on my build, just didn't know how well it would hold the plate just sitting on top of the ab. I'll give it a try though, thanks again.

Little bit of a build progress update. Using TrooperTim's snap suggestion, I have the plastic belt attached to the canvas belt, inner drop boxes are attached, sniper plate is installed on left shin, ab plate buttons are attached (thanks GnrlGrievous), thigh pack reshaped with heat just waiting to be riveted on, thermal detonator assembled and painted (got a good deal on some money clips today to hold it) and I received my holster and neckseal from Darman last Fri. (thanks for suggestion Isaac)

Ā 

Things are starting to shape up and hope to have my 501st submission in by this weekend.

Ā 

With all of this I do have a question. I want to install the holster but i'm unsure of what fasteners I need to use. Is it snap, rivet or something else?? If it's rivets, what size diameter is required and how do you prevent the rivet from scratching the armor??

Chicago Screws like the ones that are on the holster already. I have seen some pretty slick setups with snaps on the inside of the belt that let you snap your holster on and take it off for troops where no blasters are allowed. Good luck this weekend buddy! Keep us posted on what ID you get!

Lowes or Home Depot will carry "chicago" screws. If you ask for it by that name some people won't know what you're talking about. It's more commonly known as a "binding post screw." For example: http://www.homedepot...catalogId=10053 ...and... http://www.lowes.com...oductId=3012649 I think I used the 1/2 inch ones. Depends how thick your canvas belt and leather straps are.

Unfortunately, this week didn't exactly go as planned, had some family concerns that required attention. But I was able to make some more progress last night and today.

Ā 

Have to redo ab to kidney shim (again) correctly and redo plastic shoulder straps. Which leads me todays question, sorry, but on this kit the plastic shoulder pieces just don't seem that they'll fit correclty. The straps don't want to lay flush on the armor with the way the armor is contoured on the front where it starts to angle toward the armpit area. I attached it last night figuring i'd see how it would do and it's so misaligned with the back plate that it's not funny, so i'm gonna have to take them back off and figure out a different mounting location. Anyone know how to line them up correctly and still not have that huge gap showing in the front??

All the little bits add up in the end, keep up the good work :smiley-sw013:

Ā 

You can use a heat gun to slightly warm plastic and bend to the position you want, hold until it cools down.

Going through my armor tonight, getting prepped for my first troop saturday and making sure everything is in order. Unfortunately i've hit somewhat of a snag. It's an issue with my sniper plate position. I've put foam on the insides of my shins to keep them from spinning, which has worked great, but the sniper plate is digging into the front of my knee. I could live with this if it wasn't for the plate hitting the thigh and then pinching my knee between the plate and the thigh. Haven't been able to figure out a solution yet. If anyone has any suggestions i'd really appreciate it, thanks.

Ā 

IMG_1698.jpg

Ā 

IMG_1700.jpg

Ā 

This material in between the sniper plate and thigh is the meat of my leg.

Ā 

IMG_1702.jpg

Edited by Vader Rocks

Maybe try to cut off some of the return edge on the sniper plate. Then go for a bit more of the return on the bottom of the thigh. It may give you a little more wiggle room so to speak.

Ā 

This material in between the sniper plate and thigh is the meat of my leg.

Ā 

IMG_1702.jpg

Edited by Clonecollector

Thanks for the thought. Removed the plate last night, put some foam between the plate and shin to help push it forward a little instead of angling back at my knee (angle change suggested by fellow garrison member). Reglued last night, I'll see how it worked after work today.

I am pretty sure that the AM sniper plate is too think compared to screen kits anyway. There should be a faint line along the edge of the plate that will show you where to cut.