Question about RS Props PVC Build torso connections

Hello all!

I finally took the plunge and got an RS Prop Masters Full PVC untrimmed kit.

As this is my first 'Real" build (FX does not count!!!) I have been paying close attention to all the threads here building RS suits. (thanks guys!)

But I find a question has arose that I was wondering if you I could get some advice on.

I know the metal brackets bolt into the torso on the return edges (or if you want the front of the ab plate) but I was wondering if as the RS uses the more screen accurate armor thickness, if it would be advisable to add some extra pvc on the return edges to bolt through to avoid stress fractures or rips. I have plenty of extra pvc from the trim off.

I know Troopermaster armor has had the thinner material for some time, can anyone comment on the chance of ripping etc at the bolts?

I know I could just glue some extra and be done with it, but I hate to go through the extra step if it would not help at all, or make it worse. As in instead of popping the bolt at the return edge, which would be a somewhat uncomplicated repair, it would actually cause it to rip down into the armor. I always think of the Murphey's law that a $500 dollar picture tube will protect a 10 cent fuse by blowing first! (for those that remember TV's with picture tubes :P)

Thanks!

Edited by rhapsodyred99

I have not heard of anyone having trouble with cracks around the bolts more than what's inherent in the design, nor have I heard of anyone re-enforcing it. Since the PVC is tougher than ABS I would not think it'd be necessary either.

Hi Frank i have and built the RS pvc suit ,and it has the original bracket system and i tell you what i have trown this thing around with no failer's (splits and crack's)the PVC is more durable than the ABS,so i would not bother with adding any more PVC :)

Thanks!

I really love this suit. Its so quirky and non uniform. So much Character!

My previous suit was an FX bought From GT back in the day, and this is totally an equine of a different hue!

I had thought that as long as I replaced my FX lid with a non FX lid all was well (which I did as soon as I could score a TE derrived one in the mid 2000's), but after lurking here I know that the FX will never cut it for me again.

FX armor...truly the gateway drug to full on "Plastic Crack" addiction! "Plastic Crack" gotta get my Tk fix!

Just be aware that 1.5mm PVC is far more rigid than 1.5mm ABS and the strapping brackets will pop through a rigid plastic easier than a flexible plastic. That said, the brackets will pop though any plastic if you are hard on your armour since the holes are drilled so close to the edges of the plastic. These are plastic costumes and not real space armour, so treat them as such ;)

I have reinforced inside the return edges just as you are asking and it worked out very well.

Yes Paul is quite right 1.5mm PVC is more riged than 1.5mm ABS , but if you are going to hardcore troop this RS or any other type's of armour with bracket's systme its going to split or crack at some point , Now this where you need to get yourself some vintage white gaffa tape for that really original look and purpuse ;)

I have test both the 1,5mm pvc and the 1,5mm abs from RS, and i also think as TM point out here. The 1,5mm abs are way stronger.

If you bend the pvc, it get a deep line like paper, and crack off more easy then the abs you have to bend many more times before crack off a piece.

The abs are thicker, and only get a whiter shade to the plastic, while the pvc gets a deeper cut line or bumps in the plastic.

The pvc are a bit more flex a like, but when you have assemble the complete armor, there are not many parts to flex as shins, legs, bicep, arms etc are lucked.

I guess mostly the chest and shoulder might move a bit more vs. the abs.

One more thing, the humbrol paint holds way stronger to the abs vs. the pvc when you scratch it when its dry as well.

But thats just me, i guess we all fall in love in different things, but i say 1,5mm RS ABS is the best choice, plus the screen accurate used plastic as well :duim:

Edited by Rolf

I went with the PVC because it was recommended for trooping in, but I admit I do not know anything about these things other than what was said in some other build threads and by RS themselves. I took it to mean the ABS would be more prone to wear and tear than the PVC.

I plan on getting another suit one day to make a Sandtrooper from, perhaps Ill go ABS on that one.

I do not plan on doing cartwheels, but I may reinforce the bolt spots as Troopermaster says he has done it before with success.

Yes Frank ,i have only trooped my RS PVC twice at the moment and i have had no failer's , but i will let you know once its really been Hardcore trooped ;), Now if you were putting the 1.5mm PVC with bracket system , up against the 2mm AC gloss abs with bracket system then the PVC would be more durable what with the 2mm abs being more riged ,this is why my current 2mm AC abs suit that i have trooped in now for 2-3 year's has the practical popper system ,with NO brackets and screw's on the return edge's .because if it did without a dought that would be more prone to cracks and split's .

So i do feel the PVC is a great trooping suit aswell as the 1.5mm ABS both fitted with the Original bracket system both do have the flex there but like you say you dont plan on doing any cartwheel's ;).

But as i say if you were to get a split just use your trusty friend MR GAFFA TAPE that's what they did on screen :) or reinforce as Paul has done ;)