Drilling out rivets in Helmet

What is the best way to drill out the rivets at the bottom of the helmet that connect the ears to the tubes? I'm planning ahead for when I go for Centurion and am deathly afraid of doing it wrong and damaging my lid. I picked up here & there from other threads that you just use a 1/8" bit and drill out the center, which sounds easy enough. One problem with doing that is one of the rivets didn't 'snap' properly, so part of the rivet is sticking out (an 'outie' not an 'innie'). It doesn't stick out very far, I can file it down, no problem.

Thanks for any & all advice!

First things first, start SLOW. Put the tip of the drill bit right in the center of the rivet, and TAKE YOUR TIME. After a while the rivet will just fall out. I just had to drill out rivets on my Scout bucket and although it was nerve-wracking, it ended up OK.

Hey Jason,

I would try going to the next drill bit size up either (5./32") or may be a ( 3/16") bit.. (which will not hurt ) Set the drill to a low speed. have the Lid where it will not rock on you, and/or have someone hold it so it does not move.

Could you show a pic of this so we can help you better......

ZcQj1kH.jpg

Sorry for the crappy phone pic... I don't want to drill out the hole too much (using a larger bit) since I will be needing to put a screw there to replace the rivet.

You only need to drill deep enough until the round head falls off. Then the rivet will pull out from underneath and the hole in the helmet will be no bigger than it's original size.

Yes listen to the advice from everyone here. I ended up accidentally melting my rivets through my helmet, It was an easy fix with a washer and the screws. So if it does happen you will still be ok.

Another tip: Soak a washrag or other rag in water and leave in the freezer for a bit until cold. Then put it against the opposite side when you drill -- holding it with pliers on the rivet or something else besides your hand. Will help keep the plastic from melting. ;)

Another tip: Soak a washrag or other rag in water and leave in the freezer for a bit until cold. Then put it against the opposite side when you drill -- holding it with pliers on the rivet or something else besides your hand. Will help keep the plastic from melting. ;)

I'm guessing that a couple of clamps on either side would do the trick to keep it in place.

Thanks everyone on the advice - I'll be giving it a go once I get the screws & nuts...might wait until after saturday's troop, just in case ;)

Ok, kind of went a happy medium between everyone's advice, but it did have its consequences, which can be easily corrected.

I used a 3/32" punch to push out the head of the rivet - a couple of gentle taps with a hammer & they came through. Here's where I made a mistake: I used snips to cut off the flared in...which pinched the rivet where I cut. So, it was still firmly in place. I tried pushing the punch through again, but it wasn't working. I should have just gotten out the drill at this point, but I managed to get a bit of purchase on the rivet on the outside using needle-nose pliers. Slowly, I managed to twist it out...at the cost of gouging out my helmet a bit:

JK8QzpM.jpg

But, it's nothing a bit of ABS filler, sanding and a touch of paint can't fix. I was hoping that my s-trim would cover some of the damage, but it doesn't. Speaking of s-trim, I will need to glue it in place - the inside nut is pushing it out from the ears making it come loose. Again, no big deal. So, once I do the cosmetic repairs, my helmet is some hand-painted decals away from Centurion grade :)