ANH stunt (ap) build in progress [*AP]

ArmyForEnder

Hello expert troopers! I'm almost all trimmed up and I'm to the point where I need to start measuring for my body and glueing pieces together. I'm 5'3 so I know I'm going to have to lose some inches all over this bad boy; I just don't want to lose the wrong parts!

Here's what came out of the box:

LQ0ko.jpg

I've already made a mess!! (ignore the dog bone in the lower right!)

NqYev.jpg

I've cut everything out except for the biceps because I'm a little confused... it seems like I'm supposed to cut where the red line is... but it's way lower than the other side. I've looked at a ton of pictures but I can't seem to find the right angle of photo (or they're assembled with the shoulder and it's hard to see).

ssIuX.jpg

I'm needing to cut the forearms, thighs and shins. The thighs and shins I can get on just fine, but I can't bend my knees because they're just too long! The bottom of the shins have a nice return edge, but I'm guessing that would be the best place to cut so I won't lose the details around the knees (I know one side will be covered by the ammo belt though). The thighs are another monster. The bottom has the raised lip but the top has a return edge! I'm also having some lineup issues when I clamshell the sides together:

s8WBZ.jpg

I put the pieces on my leg and taped while it was on there to see how it should fit. There's some serious overlap on both the front and the back to get it a good (not too loose, not too tight) fit. I'll probably have to compromise, cut as much as I can and then pad the inside so it doesn't wiggle around.

KEeWb.jpg

I've bookmarked and read tons of threads with pictures, tutorials and guides. I'm trying to do this all on my own, but every once in a while I get really nervous I'm making a bad decision. Now that I'm moving from the "basic trimming" phase to the "cut and glue" phase I'm a bit nervous I'll make a mistake. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

if you're making ANH armor don't overlap it.

for anh you need to use the butt join and finishing strip version of assembly.

see build threads for cutting the leg and arms parts for ANH style.

if you are making ROTJ style armor then you overlap it.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

for ANH style you cut off 1/2 of the overlap on each part and join them with a 20mm strip.

for the legs. if you overlap them it won't be correct for ANH style. episode 4

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=10476

I guess that's where I got the idea that it should overlap, but looking at some other threads I see that they have the cover strips on the front and the back.

Where should I trim for the length adjustments on the shins? I'm guessing off the bottom?

I've bookmarked and read tons of threads with pictures, tutorials and guides. I'm trying to do this all on my own, but every once in a while I get really nervous I'm making a bad decision. Now that I'm moving from the "basic trimming" phase to the "cut and glue" phase I'm a bit nervous I'll make a mistake. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Lookin good, Kirstin!

You are right to trim bottom of the shins. And it is normal to worry :D

Vern is right that you'll want to butt-join and use a cover strip. So where you have overlap, that ALL disappears and then you'll cover it with a nice pretty strip.

You are not alone, I'm just up the street! Well, up the 405. I have some free time this week so depending on your work schedule I could come to you and help you out.

If you WANT to be alone, well that's different :D hehe

Keep rolling! Wooo! :peace:

Yay! I was hoping you'd be up!! I'm freaking out!!! Hahaha!

I should trim the top of the thighs, right? And lastly, where I have the red line, that's where I trim the bicep?

I'm going to keep on rolling and see where I'm at by Tuesday, I might send an SOS your way. =) Until then I'm going to keep cracking at it and try not to make too many expensive mistakes. =)

ingrid knows the attache' prorgram.. she's a great MENTOR.

sounds like you need ingrid to lead you. don't cut anything until she is sitting there next to you.

http://www.whitearmo...showtopic=10476

I guess that's where I got the idea that it should overlap, but looking at some other threads I see that they have the cover strips on the front and the back.

Where should I trim for the length adjustments on the shins? I'm guessing off the bottom?

he did not overlap. ingrid should come by and personally oversee your assembly and trimming

he does have a cover strip.

and it's butt joined at the front seam.

see the front does not overlap and is butt joined

and the rear is overlap with velcro.

so it's a two part system of joins.

front and back.

Hi Kirstin, the best way to do your thigh armor is to have the butt joint (with cover strip) not only in the front, but also the back as well. (more stable)

Then you just put the thighs armor on like a pair of pant/shorts. With the Velrco you may have issue getting the backs to line up when putting them on. Then you have to get somebody to help you line them up, etc...

If you ask me, glue the backs of the thigh armor closed.

My 2 cents....

BTW, welcome aboard the FISD! Have fun with your journey becoming a TK. :dancing-trooper:

Tom

Phew! I thought I was going crazy! So it seems like with the back you have a choice whether to overlap or not.

I only have to take off a *tiny* amount on my shins so I'm going to start there first!

Thanks everyone for the replies! I really appreciate it!!!!

BTW here are some pix of original ANH/ESB armor to help you:

-------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

Generally when cutting to fit your body in the thighs and shins I just use a pencil and try my best to follow the same contour and shapes that the top uses. Use your best judgement and always measure more than three times. And use the mirror alot. If you have a nagging feeling it doesn tlook right then go back and try again. Also it does help having a second opinion and Ingrid's is the best around. as for the biceps, yes they will not match up on one side only, but that's ok. The cover strip will hide that. Below you can see on my left bicep how the cover strip is the length of the bigger side.

-------------

Edited by gmrhodes13

Just finished the bucket!!! This is using Sskunky's mics and the S type rubber on the bottom. I'm still using the lenses that came with the AP kit. I used the decals for the blue stripes but hand painted the rest. (it's probably still not dry!!) I still need to polish. =D So excited!

hidLv.jpg

iCyTV.jpg

R6mq4.jpg

mmmmm...Looks great but are the right side of the helmet's tube strips are facing the wrong way?

Also the ears need to be trimed back more, you can still see the trim line.

Edited by DudeSidious

Looks really good so far, great work.

And for my Armor, I used the Coverstripes Method from the beginning. It is a little bit more work, but it is definitely worth it.

I would go for that, if I were you.

For your Bucket, like it was said before, your Ears need more trimming.

And Yes, the Tube Stripes one the Right Side are facing the Wrong Way.

And I think, the Tears have to fill out the whole Space with the Paint.

But these are Easy Changes and after Changing them, your Bucket will look great. :duim:

Good catches!! I can't believe I put the stripes on the wrong way! I sat there for 10 minutes staring and measuring before I applied them.

The ears took me hours upon hours to sand and trim... it was extremely hard to get them to line up without a gap and both sides are so uneven! I guess this is what everyone goes through, eh? =D

• 2 months later...
On 9/15/2012 at 7:50 PM, TK_LEPER said:

Are those phillips head screws on your ears? If not, they should be slotted.

Hi Kristin, Jeese is correct, the ear screws need/should be countersinking flat head screw/bolt (like the pix below)

You can find them at Home Depot/Lowes, the come in brass and steel (either one is fine) I would say a size #6 would be best (then the length you need)...

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13