White shoulder elastic width?

I could only find 1.5", so that is what I went with. I'm thinking about 'doubling-over' the ends where I attach the snaps - they're starting to tear as I don/remove my armor for test fittings. It also helps give more material for the snap to settle on when hammering it down.

Now is it better to make a snap system to hold the should elastic in place or is it fine to just glue it down to the back and chest like the originals did? Or will it just rip off after a few troops?

I guess that depends on what kind of glue you use. But should it come off it's just a matter of either re-gluing or replacing (dirt cheap). So it's up to you.

Now is it better to make a snap system to hold the should elastic in place or is it fine to just glue it down to the back and chest like the originals did? Or will it just rip off after a few troops?

I used snaps so I could separate the back/chest from each other to work on them and also because my fat melon won't fit through the opening if they were glued together. YMMV

You can glue them but you need to leave one side with a snap so you can open the armour to get inside. If you trust your glue to hold the snap tabs in then trust it to hold your elastic too ;)

Simons suit has 2" wide shoulder straps, same as all the other original armour from ANH.

That's what I though Paul, but somebody told me his suit had thinner elastic. I wonder why they said that?

I don't know either. But I have a good idea who said it.

Ist er Deutsch?

Nice german Paul. Are you mean Guidon?

I always get to know new sides on you ,Paul. :P

• 6 years later...
On 6/27/2012 at 12:30 PM, Locitus said:

I guess that depends on what kind of glue you use. But should it come off it's just a matter of either re-gluing or replacing (dirt cheap). So it's up to you.

Use shoe goo and clamp it down over night , I promise you it will never come loose. I have tons of shoe goo tricks that will blow your mind.  I figured out a way to use it as to where if you put it in the places I tell you to in the way I tell you to you will never ever have cracks at stress points I promise you .  It’s like a miracle glue .  Been using it for years if it can hold a shoe together  and designed to be walked on it can damn sure hold elastic to its mounting point.  I mean think about it it’s made to be used on the bottom of your shoes but yet Flex and hold at the same time .  I actually used it on a return pipe on my radiator that goes into my Volvo it hasn’t come loose yet yes I fixed a radiator pipe on my Volvo with shoe goo. More on that later. 

I wouldn't recommend gluing any elastic directly to your armor, especially the white shoulder elastic.  The reason being is that over time elastic will wear/get stretched out.  Although this was the method used in ANH, those costumes were not meant for long-term use.  I have replaced the elastic in my shoulders several times over the years, as the snaps that hold the shoulder bells in place eventually pull out due to repeated use. I suggest setting the snap parts that attach to your armor itself with nylon (as seen below).  I normally use E-6000 for these, but the shoe-goo would work. 

jkxkA7F.jpg?1

Agreed eventually the elastic will wear out and have to be replaced hence why I’m using white nylon instead. May not give the slight flex for a more comfortable wear but it really can’t be that much difference. As far as replacing worn elastic yes snaps is an option to replace  later however if you use shoe goo or e6 you can use dental floss or fishing line and run it behind the glue in a back and forth motion to cut it loose.

21 minutes ago, Dharkcydedispain said:

Agreed eventually the elastic will wear out and have to be replaced hence why I’m using white nylon instead. May not give the slight flex for a more comfortable wear but it really can’t be that much difference. As far as replacing worn elastic yes snaps is an option to replace  later however if you use shoe goo or e6 you can use dental floss or fishing line and run it behind the glue in a back and forth motion to cut it loose.

Actually if you use the industrial elastic it doesn't wear out, well not in my case after 7 years of trooping. Elastic allows some give when bending and moving while nylon won't.

2 hours ago, Dharkcydedispain said:

I’m using white nylon instead. May not give the slight flex for a more comfortable wear but it really can’t be that much difference. 

There's a big difference, actually.

While the principle of using nylon webbing may sound more practical, it gives zero stretch and limits your movement in armour. Not only that, the zero stretch means it will pop your snaps or crack your armour  when you move around too much. I know some people use webbing exclusively but I would strongly advise against it and use elastic instead. If you use quality elastic it will last a long time and if you have to swap it out eventually, so be it.

• Like 3

I went elastic, E6000 to connect it, and industrial velcro because I suck at snaps.  Any of it is easily removed and replaced.

I survived 3 days at Toronto Comicon with 0 durability issues, but I also keep some of the industrial velcro in my kit for emergency repairs, as well as some elastic and strapping.

Now, that being said, my long term mods will be to get snaps in place of a lot of my velcro...

Edited by Digz Graavz