Abs Plate Button Paint

i am having an issue with painting the abs plate buttons. every time i try to put them on the armor the paint just wants to come off. i currently have etching primer on the buttons and the humbrol paint for the color. it looks like the paint just is not dry when i try handling them & i am wondering can the humbrol paint be baked at a low temp to cure it all the way?

this is so far one of the mall issues i would like to get solved so i can continue on with the abs plate.

If you are used to working with testors paints, humbrols are different. They need a MINIMUM of 6 hours dry time. And, if you apply the paint too thick, it will curl up in you. Multiple thin coats. DO NOT BAKE YOUR ARMOR!!!!

I have had a great deal of success airbrushing with humbrol paints. (on the helmet traps and the thermal detonator) It sprays velvet smooth and dries to a crisp gloss. Brush painting needs to be handled differently

Edited by gazmosis

If you are used to working with testors paints, humbrols are different. They need a MINIMUM of 6 hours dry time. And, if you apply the paint too thick, it will curl up in you. Multiple thin coats. DO NOT BAKE YOUR ARMOR!!!!

I have had a great deal of success airbrushing with humbrol paints. (on the helmet traps and the thermal detonator) It sprays velvet smooth and dries to a crisp gloss. Brush painting needs to be handled differently

this is the first time that i have used humbrol, and i would never put plastic in the oven. i have the buttons on a piece of cardboard to paint them, but was wondering if i could put the buttons to a low heat to help cure them.

Just make sure that the paint is stirred or shaked real good, and let it sit over night and you should be fine. Shaking or stirring the paint for several minutes before painting is critical with humbrols.

I went through hell getting the paint to stick to mine. I ended up buying some off eBay, similar to what Vader Dave sells. I sanded then primed with auto primer, and painted several light coats spaced out over several days. My buttons still flaked off in spots in just a few test fittings but I am no longer concerned with it and tell my self it adds to the authenticity.

I honestly can't concieve how you can have these problems. For me it's always been super easy. Shake well before opening, and paint. Leave for 6 hours. Never had any problems.

That could be the case. In case it doesn't work. Try buying a new can from another vendor to be sure you get a different batch.

i am giving it one last shot. i got a 3/4" flat paintbrush and only dipped the tip in enough to brush on a very, very, very thin coat on each button. i will report in on how they turn out tomorrow. the way it looks it would take at least 2 to 3 coats to make them look great.

humbrol takes sometimes days to cure completely.

be patient and wait a long time between coats.

your paint curing barometric and temperature should be correct or it will extend the curing time.

humbrol paints surface cure first, then they can take up to 24 hours to 1/2 cure...

the solvent they use cures really really slow.

Had the same problem the first time I switched from testors to humbrol.

The key is to shake the can continuously for at least 2 minutes, then stir the paint with a toothpick or whatever for a few minutes more and apply.

Paint thin layers and let it cure a few hours. I now like humbrol much more than testors.

:)

Saludos.

here is the brush that i used to get the very, very thin coat on the buttons:

PNV6WnO.jpg

Its a 3/8" flat brush with a very thin edge. all i did was when i dipped it in the paint i just got enough paint on the brush to be noticeable.

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated gmrhodes13 2021