Rs Prop Masters ABS build with the HDPE helmet [*RS]

It looks like you might have issues no matter which way aroundy you try. The original pieces had the backs trimmed so anything you see has been sculpted and does match the originals unfortunately. I think you may end up keeping them as they are and trimming the backs of the knees since it looks like they won't match up any better.

ANHlowerleftlegrear.jpgANHlowerrightlegrear.jpgThese are the correctly assembled shins in the LFL archives just for reference.

Edited by troopermaster

Here's what they would look like if left outer met up with right outer, and left inner with right inner. Don't think it made much difference to the look, but it could also be my limited editing skills.

P1010102.jpg

ok Ive pulled them apart and swaped the parts over.

I think it has made a difference.You be the judge.

P1010103.jpg

At the backs at least you can see the inner calf definition.They have got to be a better fit like this.

P1010105.jpg

im going to glue tomorrow anyway and we will see what happens.

Edited by DudeSidious

I'm watching your thread because I'm saving up for my own RS suit so thanks a million for posting so many pics, Wayne :)

I think they look better now but I just studied this screenshot & you can see the calf shapes that different suits had.

You don't really see the tops of the sections but I'll be trimming the bottom edges of mine like one of these.

Cheers, Andy

Stormtroopercalfarmour.jpg

Hi Wayne, I picked up the red primer for the HDPE/PP helmets today. I haven't had a chance to take a pic and upload it, but the brand is "white knight". Look for "Rust Guard primer - Red Oxide" at mitre 10, or bunnings. It's quite a common Aussie brand paint so almost everywhere should stock it. It was fairly cheap too, only $13 which was good. I thought I remembered it being more expensive. Good to be wrong. :)

yeah,really helpful stuff,

think rob should know the deffenite answer,i know hes on his hols at the moment,but being as he has

the originals it would be nice to know wether there labelled wrong or not?

I dont think there is a right or wrong answer here when you have four outer shin parts.

Anyway I think the swap has made a slight improvement .The glue's drying on the right shin now and I dont plan on switching the parts again.

Hi Wayne, I picked up the red primer for the HDPE/PP helmets today. I haven't had a chance to take a pic and upload it, but the brand is "white knight". Look for "Rust Guard primer - Red Oxide" at mitre 10, or bunnings. It's quite a common Aussie brand paint so almost everywhere should stock it. It was fairly cheap too, only $13 which was good. I thought I remembered it being more expensive. Good to be wrong. :)

Thanks Chris i'll check it out.

Edited by DudeSidious

So I did the 1st test fit today and was not expecting to fit into the torso,but I did!.. just with a couple of inchers of black on the right hand side.So I'm wrapped, until I noticed in the photo that the left thigh seemed a bit narrow.

Then I measured the two (from the highest point inside the thigh)and the left is 650 mm 20 mm smaller at the top then the right :angry:. At the bottom not so bad 10 mm the difference.

Im thinking of pulling the back apart on the left thigh and widening the top 10 mm or so and leaving the bottom of the thigh where it is.What do you think?

P1010165.jpg

P1010169.jpg

Edited by DudeSidious

the left is 650 mm 20 mm smaller at the top then the right :angry:. At the bottom not so bad 10 mm the difference.

Im thinking of pulling the back apart on the left thigh and widening the top 10 mm or so and leaving the bottom of the thigh where it is.What do you think?

I think if they fit you that way then leave them. If not, then pull apart and adjust so they are equal.

I never worry about side gaps and hate to see shims there, so I say leave them as is :)

Thanks for your input Paul.

I was never going to shim this armor and is the excuse I need to go on a health kick.

I'm trying to make everything slim like the originals but have I made the thighs to slim?I should of researched a bit more I guess.

If I was to build another suit I think I would make the joining strips wider on the legs ,mine are 20 mm I do like the look of the wider strip.

Edited by DudeSidious

The thighs are done and the right shin is fixed at the front, I just got to add a strip of abs at the back and the elastic and hooks.No velcro here.

P1010041.jpg

Armor build on hold while I start on the helmet.

Judging from this picture I wouldn't say you've made the thighs too thin. Even if the strips are only 20mm (IIRC I believe the RS thighs' as being 20-22mm strips on the left, and 23-24mm on the right). You actually have quite a bit extra at the back of the thighs than what Siman's original suit has. You can tell by the way the pieces are curved before joining together. I looked at the pictures provided by RS in their thigh build over, and over, when it came time to do mine. As the guys had said, the thighs are quite thin on the original.

I'm trying to make everything slim like the originals but have I made the thighs to slim?I should of researched a bit more I guess.

If I was to build another suit I think I would make the joining strips wider on the legs ,mine are 20 mm I do like the look of the wider strip.

No point making anything too slim so you can't fit into it. The whole idea is to build the kit as accurate as possible but still be able to wear it.

This is where the test fitting comes into play and rushing gets you nowhere. I am seeing more and more poeple making silly mistakes with these kits when they could have easily been avoided if they had slowed down.

Now, if you really want to add wider strips on the legs then you can still do it without having to buy new parts. All you have to do is a leave a small gap between the parts and add the wider cover strip. Nobody is going to pull you on it and many of the screen used armour parts are like this anyway.

This is providing you only want to add a few mm's to the overall circumference of the parts. I would say you could get away with a 5mm gap on both front and back giving you 10mm extra. I regularly put 25mm joining strips on kits I build so you should be good for 10mm more girth. Anything more and you may need to have a hidden shim or new parts.

Thanks again,

The parts do fit, I just thought my left thigh looked a bit to slim compered to the right and I proberly will go back and replace the strips like you said,but manly because I like look of the wider strip better.