Rs Prop Masters ABS build with the HDPE helmet [*RS]

that photo shows only a belt TD and knee plate missing?

looks like chris needs some more research time.

the belt and td are shown in other photos... all that seems to be missing in the suit is the knee plate?

if you look at han solo in the detention block scene where he takes off his helmet and is talking to the

deck officer you can see his shoulder bell and it's swoop.

great build so far wayne! keep up the good work!

:popcorn:

Might be a bit late and really don't want to derail the thread there were some interesting facts discussed here.

Just wanted to mention that no yellow paint was use for sandtrooper armor. If you mean weathering, it was done with brown and blackish paint and some of us think it was mixed with other substances in hand too. But never yellow. Unless I am really missing something.

Keep the build going and pictures coming!!!

:)

Saludos

that photo shows only a belt TD and knee plate missing?

looks like chris needs some more research time.

the belt and td are shown in other photos... all that seems to be missing in the suit is the knee plate?

Apologies. I was under the impression the question was referring to what parts were missing as far as a true 'complete' stormtrooper goes. By that I mean 'as made for the film'.

Some of the actual formed pieces on Si's suit are doubles of the same part. IE the suit has two right arms. NOT a left and right as was made for the film. Furthermore the lower legs are both identical. Both are made from 2 left outter shin sections, and two right outter sections. The suit is cobled together to make what you may call a 'complete' stormtrooper (Heck they were seen on screen like this, all mashed together probably..). But for me, I'm different when it comes to that conclusion.

Siman's suit has a TD. I don't know whether or not they cast it since its all glued together. I've not really looked hard at the one that came with my kit. It does look nice however.

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that the suit had doubled up parts..? It's been mentioned in numerous threads regarding the RS suit.

Edited by FON

P1000977.jpg

You have everything is the correct position except for the outer forearm pieces need swapping over.

The parts I gave to RS to cast are the knee plate, ab buttons (both parts), hand plates and shoulder straps - nothing else. The knee ammo strap is their own making and not cast from the original suit. Same goes for their belt and drop boxes I believe since they are too sharp looking to be cast from the real deal.

Some of the actual formed pieces on Si's suit are doubles of the same part. IE the suit has two right arms. NOT a left and right as was made for the film. Furthermore the lower legs are both identical. Both are made from 2 left outter shin sections, and two right outter sections. The suit is cobled together to make what you may call a 'complete' stormtrooper (Heck they were seen on screen like this, all mashed together probably..). But for me, I'm different when it comes to that conclusion.

You make a good point.The armor in the photo does seem to have two right arms.I count 12 dimples on both.

captur12.jpg

where as mine has 12 on the right and 11 on the left.

P1000980.jpg

Either way I still love it ;)

Edited by DudeSidious

Great thread Wayne.

The above photo shows the right forearm (left as you view it) and the right. The right outer forearm is our sculpt, as correctly mentioned the suit has two right arms on first appearance, however, the left inner is an original piece also. One of the arms, used on the suit as the left has a left inner and right outer. Obviously built incorrectly, as were the shins also. I keep saying it, but these were thrown together :D

The ESB photo is very interesting, nice spot. As per the origins and time line of the suit I keep an open mind. It became Simon's after ROTJ, however he is as sure as he can be (very sure) that the helmet frown was painted grey. Also, it could be the case that the suit was not a complete suit but part from a number of suits, again I like to be open minded. I can confirm that the shin part has glue reside to suggest it once had a TK knee plate rather than a Sandtrooper one. Also, his holster is very distinctive and we are sure that had been identified on a TK, which makes sense as the belt has drop boxes.

Very interesting Rob, is there any where we can get more info in the history of Simon's armor?

Ive made the arm pieces as big as I could, even though this is for a display It would be cool if I could wear it.

I love the shape of the right forearm,very cool. ;)

P1000998.jpg

I have to agree with everything Rob says. No doubt that Simons suit was cobbled together from several sets of armour since some parts are Stormtrooper and some are Sandtrooper. What is interesting about the torso is that it is a Sandtrooper but has had extra shoulder straps fitted that are not original formed pieces usually found on a Stormtrooper. This photo below shows what I strongly believe to be Simons suit with the original formed straps of the same straps with lines drawn on like the hand plates.

stormx.jpg

If you notice the belt is a different colour and the only part of Simons suit that isn't painted is the belt. Note the missing belly detail, doubled up right arms but with the correct inner left forearm piece - all key points relating to Simons suit. I also believe this is Simons suit too. Look at the helmet - it is assembled and trimmed exactly the same way and the arms are also doubled. Hand plate is flat ABS with drawn markings too.

Simonssuit.jpg

I also believe that Simons suit was cobbled together from these troopers seen here with Vader. The helmet in the middle trooper looks to be Simons and the torso could be on Vaders right (our left). Note how all the suits are mixed between Sandtrooper and Stormtrooper.

poster_enhanced02.jpg

You can see thet torso here has the same rivet as Simons and also the cod piece looks to starting to crack where Simons has too.

SiMansuit.jpg

And finally, a nice photo of Stormtroopers on Tantive IV that shows Simons belt on the Hero trooper which proves it was just the belt that made an appearance on screen and not necessarily the armour.

web.jpg

Yes Paul, I agree that the suits used for the photo shoot are a strong contender to explain how Simon's original eventually came into his possession. If they came out of the studio and never quite found there way back I would love to know what happened to the Vader. I am pretty sure that, as the budget was so tight the whole suit was on screen in one incarnation or another. The belt is a nice part, as it can easily be picked out on screen, but the trouble with the armour and helmets is they look so bloody similar :smiley-sw013: It also makes sense that the suit was on screen it the belt was, they all found there way to the photo shoot, if it indeed his suit.

We think we have ruled the suit in the school playground out, having done some research into it that suit is being worn by Paul Welsh MBE at Borehamwood Carnival 1978. We think it was a solo suit and the torso is not Simons, also the hand drawn details are similar but not a perfect match. It's a great photo though and shows how these suits could escape from the suidio, one way or another.

I don't see any reason why any of the suit wasn't worn on screen at one time or another. I just wanted to point out that just because the belt has been identified it doesn't mean that it belonged to the same suit as Simons when on screen, which is what some people have been saying. I would guess that each set of armour was swapped and changed regularly between takes and the actors would not have cared who had what at any given time.

If the suit at Borehamwood was a solo suit and is not Simons, the helmet sure is and everything else about the armour looks to be the same or very similar. The ABS hand plates are unique to this armour as far as I know and the abdomen does not have the button detail but does have a black mark on the indentation just like Simons. Maybe all the buttons were black on this suit in the photo and it's a shame we can't see more because of the guys arm in the way. Maybe Simon painted more black details on the suit because there were already some on the abdomen?

It would be great if we could pinpoint Simons suit in ANH but I fear that it will never be seen simply because it is made up of several suits. Trying to find the parts that make up Simons suit is going to be fun and I know that we will find them eventually :)

Edited by troopermaster

Yes, Simon painted black details on the suit, he was about 11 and wanted it to look like his figures. Makes sense I guess and shows how long he has had the suit. We are still hoping him parents turn up the photos that were taken of it back then, that could help a lot to id the suit.

I will dig out the hand plates and upload a photo, we compared them to the Borehamwood suit and although similar they are not the same and its not a flipped photo, they are drawn slightly different. Brian and Lindsay Muir know the guy in the suit, so it would have been great to follow up on what he could tell us, but the hand plates tell us its not the suit. I will get some photos.

Rob.

I LOVE these guys! I just ordered a PVC suit from them and they are super nice and easy to deal with.

Rob was very patient with my questions and even brought up some I had forgotten to ask.

He is even going to toss in some extra plastic for shims in the event I need them.

Super easy to deal with. you can very much tell its a "by the fans FOR the fans" type company.

Ill be ordering from them again when I am ready to make my Sandtrooper.

I am following this thread so closely. Your build is a great way for me to live vicariously through you until i can get my grubby mits on mine ;)

I like the armor history lessons too. How freakin awesome would it have been to have a real friggen stormtrooper in your attic!?

Edited by rhapsodyred99

for the thigh armor I copied RS's build and use a 10mm strip of abs to mark the line i need to cut.

P1010009.jpg

The front 1st

P1010010.jpg

glueing the 20mm cover strip

P1010011.jpg

I'll trim the back to fit when the glue drys

(I ended up going back and redoing the cover strips and made them 22mm)

Edited by DudeSidious