ATA Belt Help

I am starting my very first build and had a quick question about the ammo belt. How do I get it to curve? I feel like when I bend it a little, it is going to snap and break! How do other troopers make the plastic portion of the belt curve to their body?

Thanks!

hey good eveing to you i just finished building my very first armor well almost i got stuck on the O2 Tank "clips" so i cam here for some help. Well back to your question when i did mine i just did it and it turned out great i did how ever put to rivets in and if your looking straight at your armor i put one in the top right and left corners but when i did it i also riveted the belt to the ab so that its all one piece so that the belt can fold up for easy storage. i hope this helps a little bit oh and by the way my name is Anthony Lopez im from Citrus Heights, CA. the sacramento valley.

I trimmed the " return edge " off from both the thigh and waist belts. It made it very easy to bend with a little heat. There are a few threads around with more detail though.

Chris

Hi there. My experience is that the ABS is plently strong enough to just be bent around the waist. Over time it will naturally "soften" up and it will act as though it was always meant to be bent.

Please do not rivet the belt to your ab plate. If you would like it attached, us snaps and/or velcro to do so. Riveting (especially in the corners of the belt) is not only inaccurate, but may cause you problems in the future with packing, and definetly with EIB or Centurion. It is your armor and your build, but I highly recommend you not attach the belt permanently.

Like he said, trim the Return Edge and the Corners of the Belt and then Bent it with a Heat Gun. But very Carefully, don´t get it too Hot.

Be Patient, bent it always just a little bit, not too much.

Bending the ammo belt is traditionally done by applying a little heat with a heat gun or propane torch. A GREAT DEAL OF CARE needs to be taken here. ABS will NOT give you any indication that it is being over heated. It will suddenly melt and warp and you will be looking to buy a new belt. Also you want the bend to be at a predictable spot to make it look like it was meant to be there. I did mine by cutting down 2 paint stir sticks.Dk9FoWc.jpgI clamped the sticks to make sure they didn't move and that my hands would be far away from the heat. I then lit my torch and reduced the flame to the lowest setting. Then I JUST WAVED THE FLAME across the area I wanted to bend. I did not hold the flame in any one spot for ANY period of time. Just waved the flame across. YaLa8wu.jpgYou don't need a great deal of bend between the ammo boxes to create a curve in the belt.

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated gmrhodes13 2021

I would say never rivet your blastic belt to anything other than your canvas belt.

Secondly, it's very risky to use heatguns or open flames. It's very easy to mess up. A safer way it to boil it for a minute or two, or pour boiling water on it over the sink. But with quality armour it shouldn't even be needed. The rivets to the canvas belt will force it into shape over time.

For those who don't have years of experience, riveting or otherwise permanently attaching the belt directly to the ab piece is an FX thing, and it's how many of the FX kits are assembled. I'm certainly not saying one should attach their belt in that manner - just providing some context.