Anyone dealt with this manufacturer?

TK5492

So about 2 1/2 months ago we began payments to a manufacturer named Dan Laws for a set of Snowtrooper armor for my wife. He is building it for her, so he said the turnaround time for it was about 8 weeks. We payed him in full 2 weeks ago and haven't heard from him in about a month. We sent several emails to no avail. From my understanding from the Blizzard Force boards, and from conversations I have had with him through email, he seems like a great, down to earth, honest guy. He even generously offered free shipping because I am in the Military.

However, I am stating to get concerned, because as you all probably know, Armor is no cheap investment. It ought to be done by now, but even if it's not we would like to know SOMETHING. It's difficult to have so much money put out there with nothing to show for it.

Anybody had any bad experiences with him, or should we stretch our patience? I would appreciate some good, honest advice. Thanks everyone.

I have never dealt with him, but I have not seen any positive interactions from others that have. It seems like every purchase I've heard about involves people waiting forever with little or no communication from Dan Laws. I know one of our members had an issue: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=18465&hl=dan%20laws&st=0 but it looks like it got resolved. Still...

Like AC says, I haven't dealt with him personally, but know that with Laws the parts look great, but you wait forever to get them. Not for the weak hearted.

Wow, AC, after going through that topic I am a little rattled. The Blizzard Force said this guy is the best in the business. Thanks you guys for your responses. Seing as no one seems to have been scammed by him or anything I guess we will knuckle down and wait it out for awhile. I hope it's not too long though. When it comes to my money I can get very rude.

The Blizzard Force said this guy is the best in the business.

That may be the case, his stuff does look good. However, like I said, I've always seen it take a long time for people to get their products. I think Rolf was trying to get some armor a while ago and I'm not sure if he ever did. Maybe things are different for the Snowy armor. Hopefully you can procure a good contact number or at least an email and be able to have progress updates.

It seems with all the best prop makers, unless, you see a thread saying "armor boxed & ready to go", expect to wait for a pretty good while. I know thats not very reassuring, but I'd rather wait for a long time & get some good armor, than get some not-so-good armor really fast. :)

That may be the case, his stuff does look good. However, like I said, I've always seen it take a long time for people to get their products. I think Rolf was trying to get some armor a while ago and I'm not sure if he ever did. Maybe things are different for the Snowy armor. Hopefully you can procure a good contact number or at least an email and be able to have progress updates.

He did, but never got anything after 1 year or so and cancelled his order and managed to get his money back. It wasn't easy though.

It seems with all the best prop makers, unless, you see a thread saying "armor boxed & ready to go", expect to wait for a pretty good while. I know thats not very reassuring, but I'd rather wait for a long time & get some good armor, than get some not-so-good armor really fast. :)

The problem with Laws isn't that you have to wait forever. The problem is that he's not up-front about it. He tells you 6-8 weeks but it really is 6-8 months or more. I don't think any of our vetted TK makers have that kind of turn around time.

Personally?

I would avoid.

The stuff he creates ( eventually ) is top notch but his lead times take the proverbial. All it will take is a few no shows and we will have another T*E on our hands.

Not so.

There are many fine makers of armour that create to order and deliver in short time frames, TM for example.

Dan's biggest issue is an apparent lack of ability/willingness to

a) answer emails

and

B) get his a very impolite person in gear.

Communication and the most basic of courtesy towards those that have dropped many hundreds of £/$ for kit costs nothing but a few moments of your time.

If you cannot or are not willing to spend five mins to keep your customers updated then you deserve the bad rep you invariably earn.

A reputation that Dan Laws is rapidly earning.

I have to say I definetly feel worse now. As a matter of fact, I am getting a little pissed off. With all the good things that the BF says about this armor, and the price we paid for it, I was expecting this to be the TM of the snowie world. I also wanted my wife to have her first troop in August before I have to deploy. Looks like that isn't going to happen. I abosolutely agree about communication! With all the money we have given him, a few seconds to just say where he is at seems very simple.

The worst part is if we don't get it from him there are few others. No one really for the quality we want. So this guy has the monopoly on snowy armor, and therefore people are basically forced to play his little to no contact game because there are no alternatives. I mean what the heck kindof a business is it to leave your customers in the dark?

I will definetly do ALL my costume research on this forum from now on, even if it's not TK related. 6-8 months would have been fine if he would have told us up front! What the crap? :angry:

I've heard that MonCal also makes a top-notch snowie kit. I've also heard the wait can be extended, but not nearly as bad as Dan Laws.

• 6 months later...

There are many who will give good recommendations regarding certain producers of goods simply hoping they will earn something in return. Don't believe it. I've waited for stuff promised in a few weeks time which ended up coming in several months later, I've been streight up robbed by certain parties who (at the time) were alleged to be "The Best"...... Yeah this guy makes a swell Snowie kit, I got one in a trade years back, looks bomb, but I don't think I would send any $$$ his direction personally as I am not big into gambling.

Maybe that link above is to the fiasco a while back where "someone was using his email and paypal accounts"????? REALLY? Is anyone that loose with their paypal and email? I mean wow. That right there would be a clear enough indication that a fool and his money are gonna be parting ways. :smiley-sw013:

• 4 weeks later...

Personally?

I would avoid.

The stuff he creates ( eventually ) is top notch but his lead times take the proverbial. All it will take is a few no shows and we will have another T*E on our hands.

Not so.

There are many fine makers of armour that create to order and deliver in short time frames, TM for example.

Dan's biggest issue is an apparent lack of ability/willingness to

a) answer emails

and

B) get his a very impolite person in gear.

Communication and the most basic of courtesy towards those that have dropped many hundreds of £/$ for kit costs nothing but a few moments of your time.

If you cannot or are not willing to spend five mins to keep your customers updated then you deserve the bad rep you invariably earn.

A reputation that Dan Laws is rapidly earning.

I agree with this 100%

Did you ever get your armor?

I have plans to do snowie armor...hope it to be as good as LAWS eventually, maybe after a V2 or V3, but im going to try my hardest to get it as close as i can in my first go. If anyone knows me here, they know communication is VERY important to me as a seller, and i intend to keep it that way as i venture into armor making.

• 1 month later...

I know right now its about a year to get your stuff from him. He will not reply to email you send him either. On the Tie Pilot forums, he only replies to one person so everyone has to ask that guy to send Dan questions and find out updates.

I don't care if his armor comes with a hand shake from Lucas himself, I would not support his business model with my money.

People will tell you, "its just the way it is... its a hobby.... patience is part of it." I don't agree. If you accept money from someone, its now a business. The only reason he can continue to do that is because people continue to financially support it. If his orders dried up, he would start playing nice.

Just my 2 cents.

Snowie armor is hard to come by these days as both Laws and MonCal have huge wait times. I have no experience with Laws. My suit is MonCal and, while I can't say they are upfront on the time, I have found them to be responsive to my emails. I went in with utmost patience as I was expecting a prolonged wait time. However, I'm not qualifying that as a good way to do business. I much prefer the way the TK makers go about it on these boards.

Bobamaker has been working on his TS molds for a fiberglass kit and is nearing completion (lacks backpack and canister). I have no idea about his turnaround time, though.

Best of luck to you.

Edited by Jancelot

• 2 months later...

As so many others in this hobby, DL has some god given hands for sculpting and making freaking awesome prop stuff.... but as good his hands can create this stuff , as bad he can handle his customers.

Such guys should better just stand on there workbench and let others do the paperwork.

Edited by Turrican

I just thinks it BS that this guy will take your $1000 & not take a few mins to update you & why can't he be upfront & let people know that it will take almost a year & half to make your armor. Which is BS. If I was paid $1000 to make something I would do it as soon as possible. I know it does not take weeks to pull a kit. My friend here in town & here on the FISD can pull several kits in one day. We all knw real world problems do happen. But a lil 3 line email would solve everyones worries. It's the same with all armor makers & everyone just deals with it. ohh he's the best in the bussiness, good things come to those who wait, can't rush perfection...ect if we all stopped sending this guy & others like him our hard earned cash things would get better.

Sorry to hijack, but this stuff erks me. This poor guy was told "DL" was the best & was lead to belive he would have product within a reasonable time frame. I bet he's still waiting for his kit.