Common Acronyms - Discussion

I think we need a thread dedicated to what the abbreviations in this field stand for.

Example:

TK-

TD-

TB-

TE-

AP-

GF-

FX-

As a new guy to this forum and just in general to becoming a trooper, this will help greatly. When I first came here I was at a complete lost (and kinda still am) reading through threads and trying to understand what everything stands for. So if anyone is willing to start or donate what you know of the abbreviations that you know, so maybe we can keep this for a reference for the "newbies" to learn, this might speed up the process of people understanding what they are reading. Also, might help lower the number of frustrated people who search and seach, but can't find what they are looking for. Just an idea. Discuss.

• Like 1

OK, you have a couple of different acronyms families there, so we will address them as they are stated:

TK- This is the standard designation for a stormtrooper. Done in reference to the line in ANH "TK-421, why aren't you at your post"

TD- Following with the stormtrooper, this designation was set up to refer to the sandtroopers.

TB- Again, following the TK and TD, this one if for the Biker scouts.

(A complete list of these can be found at www.501st.com right on the home page)

Now, here we change gears and are dealing with armor:

TE - TrooperExpert. This is a version of armor

AP - Authentic Props. Again another version of armor

GF - Gino Felanno(sp?). Another armor set

FX - This is the most commonly found type of armor

You can look into the threads and read up on which is more accurate, and different opinions on each, so I will not even address it here. Others may be able to provide more info, but I think this answers the core of your question.

Hope this helps.

here's some more... :)

AA - Andrew A., the self-proclaimed original maker of screen-used helmets and armor.

ABS - Acrylonitrile-Butadiene-Styrene, a lightweight, rigid thermoplastic used to form white armor.

ACD - Armored Calvary Detachment

AFX - Armor FX, a supplier/producer/brand of stormtrooper armor.

AKA - Also known as (i.e. alias)

ANH - A New Hope, Star Wars Episode IV.

BBY - Before the Battle of Yavin.

BSN - Bikerscout.net, the official website of the scout trooper detachment.

C1 or CI - Star Wars Celebration I (1999).

C2 or CII - Star Wars Celebration II (2002).

C3 or CIII - Star Wars Celebration III (2005).

C4 or CIV Star Wars Celebration IV (2007).

CO - Commanding Officer.

CTN = Clonetroopers.net, the official website of the clonetroopers detachment.

D*C - Dragon Con, a large sci-fi convention held annually in Atlanta, Georgia (USA).

DL - Detachment Leader, elected head of a detachment.

DOA - Dead on arrival, often used to indicate something was broken when you received it.

ECG - Empire City Garrison

ESB - Empire Strikes Back, Star Wars Episode V.

EU - Expanded Universe, a term often applied to anything Star Wars that was not seen in the films themselves.

FIDM - Fashion Institute of Design Merchandising

FRS - Family Radio Service, a small and relatively inexpensive two-way radio system.

FISD- First Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment-The official website of the 501st stormtrooper detachment.

FX - Generally refers to Armor FX, a supplier/producer/brand of stormtrooper armor.

GF - Gerardo F., a one-time maker of screen accurate stormtrooper armor.

GL - George Lucas.

GT - Galaxy Trading

KOTOR - Knights of the Old Republic

KS - Kropserkel

LFL - Lucasfilm Limited

LOL - Laugh out loud.

MG - Mountain Garrison.

MOM - Magic of Myth, a traveling exhibit of Star Wars props that toured years ago.

MOTF - Matters of the Force, the Star Wars programming track at Dragon Con.

MWG - Midwest Garrison.

NEG - New England Garrison.

NER - Northeast Remnant garrison.

OL - Outpost Leader (equivalent of a CO).

OLG - Old Line Garrison.

OS - Outpost Second (equivalent of an XO).

PA - Polymer Armory

PVC - Polyvinyl chloride, a thermoplastic resin commonly used to create plastic pipes.

RA - Richie's Armor

RC - Republic Commando.

RL - Rebel Legion.

ROTJ - Return of the Jedi, Star Wars Episode VI.

RPF - Replica Props Forum, a non-501st forum for prop replication information sharing.

RS - Rebelscum.com, a website for the Star Wars collector.

SF - Star Fortress

RT-MOD- a supplier/producer/brand of stormtrooper armor.

SC - Studio Creations

SDCC - San Diego Comic Con, a large sci-fi con held annually in San Diego, California (USA).

SDS - Shepperton Studios

SL - Squad Leader.

SWW - Disney/MGM Studios Star Wars Weekends events held every summer in Orlando, Florida (USA).

TAG - Terror Australis Garrison

TBA - To be announced.

TBD - To be determined.

TDH - The Dented Helmet, a non-501st forum for Fett and related costuming discussions.

TE -Trooper Expert, a supplier/producer/brand of stormtrooper armor.

TFN - theforce.net, the official website of the Fan Force.

TFT - Toys for Tots, a U.S. charity that collects toys for Christmas distribution.

TM - Trooper Master, a supplier/producer/brand of stormtrooper armor.

TOD - Tour of duty, a record of your event attendance and participation.

UKG - United Kingdom Garrison.

VoNC - Vote of No Confidence.

XO - Executive Officer.

• 2 months later...

OK, Im confused. We can't post Armor makers names in threads so they dont get in trouble. Instead we type in acronyms. Then you start a list in the open forum area so any one who wants to find out who say MC or AP is can look and go "oh look its Authentic Props, lets go sue there an impolite person" I am under no illusionment that Lucasfilm does not already know who AP is anyway, so its a moot point anyway, but still... Do you understand what I mean?

I don't think it matters as long as they don't "commercialize" them for sale. Also, if GL's lawyers wanted to find out who the armor makers are, I'm sure they could so very easily. All they would have to do is come on one of these sites and ask around. They could get the list of all the names and contact info very easily as most people on here have.

• 11 months later...
OK, Im confused. We can't post Armor makers names in threads so they dont get in trouble. Instead we type in acronyms. Then you start a list in the open forum area so any one who wants to find out who say MC or AP is can look and go "oh look its Authentic Props, lets go sue there an impolite person" I am under no illusionment that Lucasfilm does not already know who AP is anyway, so its a moot point anyway, but still... Do you understand what I mean?

I'm afraid I quite agree with this . It does seem a little fool hardy.

I don't think it matters as long as they don't "commercialize" them for sale. Also, if GL's lawyers wanted to find out who the armor makers are, I'm sure they could so very easily. All they would have to do is come on one of these sites and ask around. They could get the list of all the names and contact info very easily as most people on here have.

I can guarantee they not only know who are currently producing kits but are also viewing the likes of this and the 501st garrison level boards to see who is "starting up". As long as the makers keep a low profile and stay behind the scenes they tend to turn a blind eye. Having their names posted in a public area where allcomers can find them seems like a really bad idea to me. I'm surprised the matter has not been raised before considering the way names have been bandied around in threads.

I would also note that 1 of the most popular "brands" favoured by this group is conspicuous by its abscence.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Do note that SL could stand for either the armor desgination of Sith Lord or the exec position of Squad Leader. It would be advised not to confuse the two, unless your squad leader happens to be a sith lord as well. :P

• 6 years later...