How to build knowing that body size will change?

Alrighty! My ATA build has been stalled for a while now.

I've been working out and my body shape is changing.

My arms are bigger and so are my thighs.

My chest and belly are shrinking.

How do I build my armor when I am not done yet? :blink:

Any tips or advice?

Edited by Ripcode

You mean advice that isn't "wait until you've reached your body goals", correct?

I suppose you could leave extra room in the arms and legs where you expect to pack on mass, and make the belly extra snug where you expect to lose inches. Definitely use E6000 as your only adhesive, that way if you guess wrong you could (with a little work) pull the pieces apart and resize them.

BTW, I've been following your workout adventures on FB. Kudos for you, sir. :duim:

You mean advice that isn't "wait until you've reached your body goals", correct?

I suppose you could leave extra room in the arms and legs where you expect to pack on mass, and make the belly extra snug where you expect to lose inches. Definitely use E6000 as your only adhesive, that way if you guess wrong you could (with a little work) pull the pieces apart and resize them.

BTW, I've been following your workout adventures on FB. Kudos for you, sir. :duim:

Yes Brian, that is what I meant! :)

I was hoping someone had already done something like this.

I'd love to finish the TK, but I don't have any idea of when I will be done working out. :huh:

And thank you! :salute:

Edited by Ripcode

You may not want to get *too* big if you want to be able to fit in your ATA without the use of shims. Take for example, the biceps. I believe (and someone else can confirm or refute this) that they will accept up to a maximum of about 14" flexed before requiring shims.

Not that you should necessarily limit yourself based on the maximum allowable size for your ATA kit, but it's something to consider.

By today's standards, the actors that portrayed stormtroopers back in the 70s were short, skinny blokes. :huh:

I'm not sure what size you are now and what you're going for, but if you start bigger to fit now, it's a lot easier to trim down later. I had to shim my sides on my AP to account for some extra "beer belly" girth, but as I lose that body fat (albeit slowly) I can remove the shims and adjust accordingly. Also my thighs were 2" bigger when I started, quite conical (and comical) - now they're better but I still have hips that stick out, giving me what I perceive to be a very girly look.

So my advice would be, with a grain or two of salt, if you really want to be wearing it now, build for now, and then when you are at your goal size, trim it down. I wouldn't do it along the way, so it might seem a little big after a while (a good thing!), until you're ready to trim down permanently. If you can wait, if you think you'll be to goal size in, say, 30 days, then build what you can that isn't going to be as specific, and wait on things like your thighs and ab/kidney.

You may not want to get *too* big if you want to be able to fit in your ATA without the use of shims. Take for example, the biceps. I believe (and someone else can confirm or refute this) that they will accept up to a maximum of about 14" flexed before requiring shims.

Not that you should necessarily limit yourself based on the maximum allowable size for your ATA kit, but it's something to consider.

By today's standards, the actors that portrayed stormtroopers back in the 70s were short, skinny blokes. :huh:

I've checked the biceps and they still fit. The calves still fit. The thighs haven't been closed in the back yet. I need to remove a lot of plastic from the ab, kidney, cod and butt plates.

I'm not short at 6'1" and I don't want to be a skinny bloke! :lol:

I want to be muscular in a lean way, not a body builder way.

Edited by Ripcode

My advice is the same as Ingrid's for the most part.

Use E6000 as it will hold everything together and still come apart without destroying the plastic. I used PVC glue for a few parts and they are basically melted together. You can always tear apart the parts and shim up or trim down to fit as your body changes.

Now thats my 2 cents and Im not an expert at building... but Im getting very comfortable with sizing TK's for bigger body types as mine has been nothing easy so far getting it to fit.

As for lifting, Ive done that for 20 years now. I can offer some things to think about and you can see what you think.

Your body will adjust based on what you put it through during your workouts in relation to your genetics. I know for myself, my arms will grow from watering a plant but my shoulders take extra work. I also know that from wrestling and doing squats and takedowns over and over that my thighs and butt will get bigger and react to weights faster than other muscles. Thats just a mix of my genetics and what Ive trained my body to do. So I knew I'd need extra room in my thighs and biceps when I started my build.

So as you workout, you'll notice what body parts respond to training faster than other muscle groups and guage from there for your fittings. Being 6'1 your muscles are probably longer so its more difficult to get that body builder look than say someone thats 5'6 so I wouldnt worry about getting too bulky. Best of luck and congrats on the workouts and results you are seeing!

Isaac

Edited by theisaac

My advice is the same as Ingrid's for the most part.

Thanks Isaac, that is very helpful and yes, what I have built so far is being glued with E6000.

And thank you also Ingrid! :)