Glueing white rubber hand guards on Nomex gloves?

I doubt it would work. The tops of Nomex gloves are fabric. Fabric glue would be okay, but won't adhere to the hand guards that well, and crazy glue is great for the hand guards but doesn't work at all on fabric.

That's what I thought :(

But I have a solution in the back of my head. Please tell me what I think.

Apply some silcone caulk on the area where the hand guard would go. Spread it thru the fabric a little. Let dry.

Now you have a non fabric surface where you could glue the hand guards.

Karin you have a PM incoming.

I got a pair of work gloves from my dad, that have rubber texture on the fingers, but fabric on the top of the hand. I need two sets of rubber hand guards to try and glue on theese for a pair of comfortable, but more screen accurate than nomex, gloves ;)

Indeed :D

And theese are the gloves I'm going to try it out on.

-------------

In my opinion they look better than Nomex gloves, but offer the same(actually better) comfort and grip.

Nomex gloves are standard issue in the Danish army, and I have worked my way through a lot of them since I started back in 2005. Now I dont use nomex gloves for anything ;)

But I hope theese work gloves will do the trick :D

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Somewhere I have photos of how I glued my Karin hand guards to my nomex gloves. I used pure silicone adhesive, not caulk. Seems to be holding up fine but I don't get to troop too often.

I'll try to find those pics and post them here...

Aloha,

-Eric

Mostly this is common sense... but I took photos when I did it anyways...

Step 1: Mark where the handguards go.

I put them on and compared the position to my rubber versions that Karin glued on for me. I marked it with a sharpie... you can sorta see two dots in the photo.

---------------

I left them to dry for 2-3 days before removing the weights. There's only been a tiny bit of peeling near the knuckles. Other than that it seems pretty solid. I think nomex is treated with flame retardant stuff. I'm wondering if washing them first woud help the goop stick.

Aloha,

-Eric

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

• 3 weeks later...

It could works better on cotton gloves than nomex I guess.

The nomex gloves don't have a fire retardant treatment, they're just fireproof by themself, it should be aramids stuff...

And the nomex it's warm as well the rubber. ;)

I used contact cement to glue mine to some gloves like the one Arnie_DK has... it worked great :)

Is the contact cement a cyranoacrylate like Super Attack?

Anyway I found "DuPont can provide technical information on methods for gluing Nomex®" *cit Dupont website :)

Edited by P3laton3

• 4 weeks later...

I'm thinking just to sew them with a hook needle and once that tears out glue them. The on screens look like a weed eater (I.e. string trimmer I'm southern US and don't know the British version there of) went after them. It's almost like they took a coping saw to them so the edges wouldn't matter that much really.

• 6 months later...

I'm thinking just to sew them with a hook needle and once that tears out glue them. The on screens look like a weed eater (I.e. string trimmer I'm southern US and don't know the British version there of) went after them. It's almost like they took a coping saw to them so the edges wouldn't matter that much really.

Indeed, they do. You need some strong scissors (or a saw) to trim latex that thick.

Tiny bit... but not as much as I had hoped... Been swamped at work as well as private, and I'm leaving for Afghanistan on monday, but I have a theory I want to try out before I leave ;)

Edited by Arnie_DK

I got my rubber guards on nomex gloves using the same method used to apply them to rubber gloves. the two part super glue. It stuck on so well, I had to destroy the nomex gloves when I wanted to put the guards on rubber gloves... The hand guards were permanently attached, never to be removed.

Since Darth Aloha Aka Eric, made quite a simple and effective tutorial and Dday confirming that its effective with the regular glue, I'm trying some other glues to see if they'll hold.

No need to try the same product twice, right :)

Are taking pictures all the way and will make a stand alone HOW TO: when I'm done. Just waiting for the glue to dry.

Also I'm supposed to be writing a will right now, and thats kinda depressing to do, so its more fun to finally do something about this instead ;)