Dark Vador

Sonnenschein

I just learned that in the french version, Darth Vader is called "Dark Vador" (and Dark Maul, resp.)

So I'm wondering, were our favorite characters renamed in other languages aswell?

And while were at it: Uncle George used many non-english words for names.

Like Fett means fat in German, Maul means muzzle and Vader is Dutch for father.

And all Jedi Masters sound like Chinese soups!

Yeah, I like the way things in the Star Wars universe "borrow" from established ideas and put a spin on them, but I can see how others think its a lack of imagination. The later seems more obvious with the Prequels, but maybe that's because we are older and understand more. Personally I think the "borrowing" helped weave it into popular culture across the world.

I once read in "Behind the Magic" that Darth Vader should originally be named Dark Father. George just converted the name in different language/in other prononciation so that it became Darth Vader in the end.

I believe that this is just one minor example.

When I create fictional names in my stories, I start with translations and then work from there, tinkering with sound and spelling to create other effects when possible.

Then again, sometimes people complain that my names are too hard to read... I try to tame them but everyone's perception is different.

I like the addition of In- in front of sith names like Darth INvader, Darth INsidious... when that was removed I got kind of bleh about the whole thing.

Here in sweden back in the 80's they were selling a Mc with a picture book from ANH,

You were to listen to the kassett and looking a the pictures in the book wile a voise was reading the storry

in that Chewbacca was call tuggback :)