Marco - Original armor from the 1980's--ever heard of it?

Due to it's rarity, provenance and condition (appears good overall) you could even sell it to a collector (preferably within the 501st of course) for a pretty penny, enough to finance several other costumes props etc. Or do your research, find a reputable auction house that deals in props and costumes,NOT EBLECH, and you could be in good shape...Not a sermon, just a thought...

That's better... Felt like I had a '57 Chevy and everyone was more interested in a '12 Chevy Volt...lol. Gentlemen, put the word to the streets... I find it hard to believe there aren't ANY of these still 'alive' anywhere! Come on...'fess up. In someones basement... in a storage unit somewhere... is that show 'Hollywood Treasures' still on TV? lol... Or even old pictures from early 501st troops. At one point, all of us were looking at this thing going...'whoa...I gotta get into this!"

I believe Albin Johnson (501st founder) still has his Marco. He had a very old stormtrooper costume on display at C5 in the 501st room, the description saying it was his original costume from 1997. I think it was a Marco. Maybe there are photos of it on the internet somewhere.

There is another.............

About 3 years ago the UKG did an event where there was a collection of "screen used" sci fi props.

The collection was..........poo. Hasbro blasters unmodified passed off as the real thing and a wookie bag refered to as an original chewie head, I kid you not.

By far the most interesting piece there was the "screen used" TK which, if memory serves , was a Marco.

I will endeavour to dig some pics out .

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys!

First ever FISD post. I thought it fitting that it be on this thread. I have entered the realm of stormtrooper armor myself recently with a purchase of Marco enterprises armor. Yes, the old man is still selling gear. Was at celebration last month and talked to a guy that I thought looked pretty good in sand trooper armor. Turns out he got his stuff from Marco. I ended up meeting Marco there and he explained how he sells his stuff. He literally still uses his catalog (circa 1985). I actually bought his catalog on eBay.

The stuff is not super screen accurate. But it is a far cry from the pics earlier in this thread. ( he doesn't sell that awful helmet anymore). I had been researching incessantly about the ins and outs of trooping, the 501st, different versions of the armor and helmets, and the various fan made kits out there. At the end of the day, this was just too good of a deal to pass up. I will be posting some pics and my opinions on the quality as well as some of the differences between this and more accurate armor out there.

Wow. Yep, still sells the-------------

How much did you pay for the kit?.. if you don't mind me asking. 

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Oops.....

Deleted price stuff... Sorry, just found out it's a no no... PM me for info.

There are many things I will be modifying. both for comfort or for accuracy. This is a work in progress. I believe I can get it up to specs.

I'll post more here about the armor and the mods I'm making as time permits. With pics.

Edited by Pilot trooper

I'm just curious, i'm not a trooper vet like alot of people here, but other than that...interesting...helmet, what is it about that armor that makes it unapprovable, it looks pretty bloody good for something made so many years ago.?

Edited by Schoober

Firebladejedi, you are right. I cringed when I saw the old helmet. There were a bunch of pieces in this armor that were and are suspect but can be modified if not just replaced. The helmet was a nonstarter though. I emailed Marco and confirmed that he was including an updated helmet in his set. (More on that later). The one in your link he was still selling as his "prototype" helmet until very recently.

OK. Here is my first pic with the Marco armor. I will post more pics and some thoughts tonight. there is plenty of work to do to bring this up to basic 501st standards no matter which version to shoot for. This thing is kind of a hybrid. But, I think it's got a future. I do believe it's a far cry from the pic on the starwarshelmets.com site. This is unmodified out of the box. Well, I have made a few mods for comfort and wearability.

post-23563-0-74886300-1431640644_thumb.jpg

• Like 1